December 2013 Moms
Options

Pumping while driving

Does anyone do this? I've heard many women do. I have an hour commute (mostly city traffic) one way and am finding it difficult to keep leaving my desk at work to pump for 20minutes at a time. I just started back at work Monday and am finding it hard to get the 6 4.5-5oz bottles my DS downs while I'm away. I'm thinking this would be a good way to fit in some pumping but I'm a little hesitant to give it a shot.

Re: Pumping while driving

• Options
    I do it. I set it up before I leave both places under a cover, put my pump on the passenger seat, and can easily reach over and adjust/turn off without looking. 2x a week I drive to San Fran (2 hours away) and I use that time to power pump to build up supply. My supply drops if I only pump (I just don't react the same way - odd bc I EP'd for DS1). My supply would be gone if I didn't pump and drive.
    imageimageimage

Sebastian: March 3, 2010

2nd Tri Angel Baby: November 2012

McKenna: December 2, 2013

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I do this frequently. I purchased a hands free bra and set it up before I start driving. My drive to get the kids is only 25-30 min so I pump the entire time.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    image image image

• Options
    Seriously that airbag comes out with soo much force you could have serious injuries from the flanges being slammed into your chest.
  • Options
    Agree about airbags. Plus the pump itself could become a major projectile in an accident ... Things to consider.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    I do it everyday on my way home from work. I'm not allowed to pump at my job-it's unethical. I'm an independent contractor so I don't really have any rights. I'm an Aba therapist. So I'm away from my baby so long I have to pump as soon as I get out & want to get home to him!
  • Options
    LittleA's said:

I do it everyday on my way home from work. I'm not allowed to pump at my job-it's unethical. I'm an independent contractor so I don't really have any rights. I'm an Aba therapist. So I'm away from my baby so long I have to pump as soon as I get out & want to get home to him!

Unethical? What am I missing?

• Options
    LittleA's said:

I believe by law they have to provide you a private place to pump- or do you work outside the US?
  • Options
    I work with autistic kids doing therapy in their homes. Ethically the board says you shouldn't even go to the bathroom at a clients house. So ethically I am not allowed to pump there. I am an independent contractor not an employee
  • Options
    So if u need to pee u hold it all day?
  • Options
    I only work 2-3 hour per kid so I stop somewhere to go inbetween. It's not a wonderful thing. But it's part of my job & I love my job and working with these kids :)
  • Options
    LittleA's said:
    I only work 2-3 hour per kid so I stop somewhere to go inbetween. It's not a wonderful thing. But it's part of my job & I love my job and working with these kids :)

So stop and pump in between. You say you want to get home to your little guy, so I assume you don't want him to be without a mommy. A minor wreck could turn major if the pump flanges are smashed into you by an airbag and it could make removing yourself from the car difficult. I've been in bad accidents and seen too many accident deaths to even consider doing this while driving.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Ok i was just picturing holding it for 8 hours. Ruby would not be the only person in diapers in our house if that was the case.
  • Options
    Thank you for your concern. I don't find it distracting- in fact I forget that I'm doing it and forget to shut it off. But I will be careful thank u :)
  • Options
    TShea721 said:
    Does anyone do this? I've heard many women do. I have an hour commute (mostly city traffic) one way and am finding it difficult to keep leaving my desk at work to pump for 20minutes at a time. I just started back at work Monday and am finding it hard to get the 6 4.5-5oz bottles my DS downs while I'm away. I'm thinking this would be a good way to fit in some pumping but I'm a little hesitant to give it a shot.
    How long are you gone that LO is eating 30ounces while you're away? Seems like they are over feeding baby....most BF babies take 24-30 Total in a day.
    I'm away from 7am-5pm. I've done a few weighted feedings with him and he's had 4.5oz at a time. I was told by my LC that to calculate the amount per day is their weight x 2.5. He's 15 pounds.

I was considering if he is being overfed. The daycare provider says she doesn't use pacifiers. Which is something that concerns me if he is being fussy, is she just feeding him to calm him down? Sigh. I don't know. I'm new to this, he's been in daycare for two days and I'm thinking about switching providers.
  • Options
    I agree that pumping while driving is a horrible idea. What if you get tangled up int the tubes for some reason and that causes an accident? 
  • Options
    I've done it before in a pinch. Get completly set up and going, shirt back down over shields before pulling out, then don't mess with it until you get where you're going. It's honestly not distracting at all.

I can see how the air bag can cause broken or bruised ribs, but as far as a dangerous projectile, I don't see it being any more of an issue than all the other stuff in my car.

Lilypie - (JzKZ) Lilypie - (DgGJ)

• Options
    I have to agree this does not sound smart.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I know a surgeon who does this everyday during her 45 min commute. She doesn't have time during the day to pump. It works for her.
    imageimage
  • Options
    OP, does your LO take a pacifier at home? If he does, and he's not given one at DC, then he could be looking for that need to suck rather than eat. Just my opinion, but I wouldn't let my DC provider tell me whether or not they will give my child a pacifier. They work for you, so you tell them what your baby needs and they do it. I can't understand why they would say no pacifiers? My LO doesn't take one (his choice) but DC encouraged me to leave one if I wanted to just in case he wanted it when he was away from me. Just for comparison, LO is away from me from 7:30-5 and I leave 3 5oz bottles. He's 17lbs. Every baby is different though. Good luck. I don't have a long commute so I have no advice on the pumping and driving.
  • Options
    I have done it once. I needed to head back to Madison and I needed to pump. I had it all strapped to me when I left. It would be incredibly dangerous to be in an accident with it strapped to my chest, but my boooobies hurt. I did, however, loop the seat belt thru the pump straps, mainly because I didn't want it sliding around. When I was done, I pulled over and took it off of me.

imageimage

BFP #1 July 4, 2011 Baby girl born Feb 22, 2012!!
    BFP #2 December 17, 2012 MMC January 24, 2013
    BFP #3 April 7, 2013 Baby girl born December 11, 2013!!
    Amelia has Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome. She has had 3 open heart surgeries, 1 g-tube surgery, and one tracheostomy. She is the strongest, most precious little fighter. 
    You can follow her at. Www.ameliafaithsheart.blogspot.com
  • Options
    I probably wouldn't pump while I drove but I do pump in my car at work almost everyday.
     BabyFetus Ticker
    Baby GIRL due 12/26
  • Options
    I know a surgeon who does this everyday during her 45 min commute. She doesn't have time during the day to pump. It works for her.

Surgeons do stupid things too.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I feel like this a bad idea to do anything but driving while driving. Dangerous and a potential distraction. Plus as PPs suggested, potentially harmful during an accident too.
  • Options
    Loolaide said:
    I would do it but I might reconsider if I were driving at freeway speeds. Rush hour here is 35 mph, tops, and gridlock. So maybe pump while you're in traffic and disconnect everything before getting on the freeway?

See Phoenix is like ALL FREEWAY/HWY for commutes. So here I don't see it logistically working here anyway. Gridlock I could see. Still not something I would do, but I could understand someone else doing it.
  • Options
    I do it every work day. I have a 40 minute commute and lucky enough to go from garage to garage. I use the simple wishes bra and my Freestyle, get everything set up and throw a light poncho over me and i'm off. I check the milk level a couple of times at stop lights. It's so nice to only need to pump once at work during lunch.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"