August 2014 Moms
Options

Sleeping

How are you doing it? I sleep on my sides, but my hips hurt so bad that I have to switch back and forth several times I night. I sometimes end up back on my stomach too, which I know you should avoid but I'm asleep! I don't realize it.

I want to sleeeep.....

Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Sleeping

• Options

I sleep on my side with a fluffy pillow between my legs. I usually end up with one leg straight and one leg curled up over the pillow so I'm sort of halfway on my tummy, but not really. I'm usually an avid stomach sleeper, but it's just not comfortable anymore, which sucks. I do toss and turn all night though.

This is me exactly. It just started being uncomfortable a few nights ago (I'm 22 weeks). I toss and turn all night. A pillow between the legs helps, but doesn't to talk solve the problem. I'm still trying to figure out some other solutions.
    Married November 2009
    Clara, August 2014 
    Baby Boy due October 2017
  • Options
    I sleep in the position my body allows me to be comfy. It's usually short lived and I'm constantly moving. Lord knows how many different ways I sleep in one night.
    First BFP: 12/16/13
    EDD: 08/23/14
    Baby BOY born: 08/29/14
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have been sleeping terribly the entire pregnancy and I think I finally figured out a science to a decent night sleep. I got a boppy for breast feeding, but I put that at the bottom of the bed for my feet to wrap around, I have a king pillow in between my legs, a pillow behind my back (I'm on my side) and I hold another pillow. I don't move and have been sleeping most of the night. This has only been 2 days, but I am hopeful!
    Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    I started getting hip pain while sleeping on my side about a month ago, started using a pillow between the legs and that helped. I just pulled out my body pillow this past week (it's a super squishy cheapo one) and the past two nights I've slept wonderfully! I just put the bottom between my legs and curl up next to / on top of the top. So I sleep kind of on my side, kind of on my stomach.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Logan 10/20/2010 ~ Addison 8/26/2014
  • Options
    I also sleep halfway on my stomach and halfway on my side, but end up on my back all the time. I have two big body pillows ($20 each at BBB) that I sleep with, one for each side, that have saved me. If I don't have anything between my knees and ankles my back and hips start hurting. I've been tossing and turning a lot lately as well, especially since baby girl has been kickboxing my insides every time I switch to my right side. As long as you're comfy you're fine - women have been sleeping on their backs while pregnant since the dawn of man - you and baby will be fine.... I'm sure baby will let you know if s/he's uncomfortable :)
  • Options
    I've been sleeping with a pillow between my knees for the past couple of weeks and it does seem to help.

For those of you with body pillows, how do you fit in bed with you, your H, and a body pillow? I've thought about buying one but I'm pretty sure I'd have to kick H out of bed to use it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I haven't been uncomfortable sleeping yet this pregnancy, but I'm sure it will happen soon!  I sleep on my side/stomach, but wake up on my back a lot.  Once I get bigger I'm sure I'll only be able to sleep on my side, then I'll need a pillow between my legs.  I hate only sleeping on my side.

son#1 born 6/2010

son#2 born 4/2012

son#3 born 7/2014

• Options
    Sleep is non-existent for me lately. Just posted this on a different thread. I've been struggling with hip pain since early on and tried everything to help alleviate some of the pain but so far not much luck. Pillows/snoogle help a bit but that's about it. Anxiety and stress has been more of an issue than anything. I just want to sleep like a normal person again! 
    BabyFetus Ticker

Our first.. Baby BOY! EDD 8/20/14 :) 
  • Options
    cashews29 said:
    I've been sleeping with a pillow between my knees for the past couple of weeks and it does seem to help.

For those of you with body pillows, how do you fit in bed with you, your H, and a body pillow? I've thought about buying one but I'm pretty sure I'd have to kick H out of bed to use it.
    For me it doesn't actually take up that much extra space since I'm almost on top of it. DH might say otherwise though...but he hasn't complained yet!
  • Options
    I haven't been too bad uncomfortable in the pregnancy, unless I wake up nauseous then I have to sleep sort of sitting up. Other than that I actually still sleep on my back the most or end up on it the most. I try to fall asleep on my sides with a pillow between my legs, but 90% of the time I end up on my back and I'm still comfortable that way. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I sleep on my left side usually with a body pillow under the belly and between my legs. I put a flat king pillow behind my back to keep me from sleeping flat. I'm a back sleeper, so even if I roll I'm not completely flat.

• Options
    tabaskoa said:
    I started getting hip pain while sleeping on my side about a month ago, started using a pillow between the legs and that helped. I just pulled out my body pillow this past week (it's a super squishy cheapo one) and the past two nights I've slept wonderfully! I just put the bottom between my legs and curl up next to / on top of the top. So I sleep kind of on my side, kind of on my stomach.
    Ditto. I sleep with a pillow between my legs most nights. Especially after I run. Owie :(
  • Options
    RacllaRaclla member
    edited April 2014
    My hips kill me.  I flop around like a dying fish all night. 
    Extra pillows piss me off.

I slept great last night though.  Evidently, if you eat enough mac & cheese and take two Tylenol you can put yourself into a mini-coma. 

ETA:  I won't be using that sleep method on a regular basis.
    Married April 12
    DD June 13
    #2 EDD 8/8/14 - DS July 14
    2 Furry Kids - 
    Rosco: The most awesome pug ever.
    Pumpkin: The most non-catlike cat ever.  
  • Options
    I wish I could find a magical solution to my hips hurting so bad. I have a body pillow and lots of other pillows that I use to put in various combos but I'm just still so uncomfortable.

Check out my travel blog.... www.SeeJulesTravel.com
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Lately I've been rolling in my snoogle so that I'm half on my stomach, half on my side. I woke up with a handprint on my stomach the other day because I slept like that the entire night. I'm having the hip problem though, I switch sides all night because one side gets too uncomfortable. When I lay on my back my belly gets really hard and feels uncomfortable. I miss sleeping comfortably. I guess it's preparation for the future. 

Also, if one more person IRL tells me to enjoy my sleep now because I'll NEVER EVER SLEEP AGAIN they will get throat punched. My sister has 2 kids under 4 and sleeps great. Lots of parents do. Stop trying to scare me. 
    LOL yeah I sleep great. My DS is 3.5y and he's been a great sleeper for awhile. My only "complaint" is that he never sleeps past 6:30 or 7am MAX which is annoying on the weekend, but whatever!
  • Options
    My hips are killing me. I sleep with a king pillow between my knees and ankles, but it only helps a tiny bit. I wake up and rotate back and forth and then eventually my body just flips to the back and that is where I wake up. If I sleep at all. 

I made my dog a tempurpedic bed (it is huge) a few years ago. It is about 3 inches of tempurpedic foam. I nap really well on it without any pain. I am seriously considering investing in a very expensive mattress topper at this point. I don't want to spend the money but I would also like to walk without pain and sleep for more than an hour and a half at a time. 
    TTC Since January 2012 Me:37 DH:34      DX July 2013: Unexplained Infertility      New DX Dec 2013: DOR
    BFP#1 6/4/12 EDD 2/13/13 M/C 6/6/12  BFP#2 2/21/13 EDD 11/3/13 M/C 2/26/13 BFP#3 C/P
    4 rounds of clomid, 2 with IUI = BFN
    November/December Retesting/Natural Cycle = Surprise BFP @ 11dpo! Beta#1 76.6@13dpo Beta #2 276@15dpo u/s#1 6w2d hb113 u/s#2 8w2d, measuring 8w4d hb168! 10w2d hb171 12w3d Verifi results are in and good! EDD 8/23 Our Baby Girl Rainbow Baby born 8/20/2014!!!
    Um...what? BFP 11/2/15!?! EDD 7/4/16
  • Options
    cashews29 said:
    I actually bought the Boppy Maternity pillow (it separates into like 3 pieces).  DH also has his own body pillow.  We only have a queen size bed.  :|  And, neither of us is actually a slender person to begin with.

The biggest issue we come across is the flat sheet and whatever we're using over that (comforter, blanket, quilt) isn't wide enough to cover us AND our pillows.  A king-size flat sheet would probably work better than us constantly yanking the sheets off one another through the course of the night.

The other problem is there's not a lot of contact between us at night, like there used to be.  We'd at least reach out at night and touch one another, but now we have these massive pillows in the way.  Or, at least mine is. 

No regrets.  That pillow is the only thing allowing me to get a few hours of fitful rest at night now.  He's not happy, but he understands it's a temporary addition to our bed.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proud Mother to 16 year old Austin (MCJROTC Sgt., Trumpet playing "Band Nerd" and hopeful Air Force Pilot!)
    Proud Stepmother to 12 year old Josh (Baseball playing, Saxophone playing "Band Nerd" and hopeful Doctor!)
    Proud Mother to baby Kaylee (Stuffed toy playing, Adorable smiling baby and hopeful Rodeo Princess!)

• Options
    I've been sleeping much better this pregnancy than last, so far. We got a king size memory foam mattress from Amazon for $400 about 6 months ago and it has made side sleeping a lot more comfortable for me. That said, I sleep however I'm comfortable...on my back, on my side, slightly on my stomach. When I get uncomfortable I move. If baby is uncomfortable I get kicked and then move. So I'm not worried.
  • Options
    I was surprised that my doctor told me at my appointment this week that I can sleep "any way that is comfortable" including on my back.  I always thought back was bad.  He said it only is if it's uncomfortable, as is any other position.  Did any of your doctors tell you otherwise?  I asked him about what I had heard/read and he told me it's just an old wives' tale.  

I had a Snoogle, but I found that after awhile (I actually got it for Christmas), it got flat.  I have a pillow between my knees and one I "hug", but the weird thing that happens to me is when I wake up my BUTT muscles feel like a did a thousand squats through the night.  I have no idea why! 
  • Options
    I'm a stomach or side sleeper but mainly stomach. It is starting to get uncomfortable so I am going to have to get my pregnancy pillow out soon.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"