Toddlers: 24 Months+

Random Sleep Terrors?

Hi Everyone,

DD has never been a great sleeper (but isn't awful), always waking up once a night.

She has had a cold virus for about three weeks--Saturday she was moaning in her crib about 2 hours after falling asleep.  DH went in to check on her and she flew into a TOTAL rage.  I have never seen anything like it before.  She was screaming, arching her back, and saying, "I DON'T WANT TO!".  We asked her questions like, "Do you want a glass of water", and she would answer, "NO, I DON'T WANT THAT".  She seemed inconsolable and not wanting to be held by us (very unusual for her).

Then, today, she took a nap for about 3 hours.  When she woke up, she woke up crying.  I went in to her and almost the exact same thing happened.  The thing is, she can definitely respond to my questions, but was hiding behind a nightstand like she was scared of me.  

I wouldn't say she seems half asleep half awake like they describe with night terrors.  She seems awake but disoriented.

I took her to the pedi today for the virus and mentioned these episodes and a pedi (not her usual) said it sounded like night terrors to him.

Do any of you have experience with sleep terrors?  Does this sound similar?

Re: Random Sleep Terrors?

• My Eva does occasionally and sometimes I will hold her and try to console her and the same thing happens.  Last weekend I was trying to cuddle and rock with her when she woke up from a nap like that and it took her a few minutes to come out of it.  When she finally did she looked at me like 'hey how did you get here?' 
  • My son has night terrors and the best advice I have been given is to just go in and make sure they don't hurt themselves ( banging head,falling out of bed, biting etc) they are much shorter when not responded too.. If there is a pattern like my son has them when he is over tired I know he will probably have one I wake him about an hour after he goes down to disrupt his sleep pattern and he usually doesn't have one after that ...the more you talk to them the worse it gets has been my expierence
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"