Potty Training

potty training regression? discipline?

Hi there,

Wondering if anyone can offer advice..if they've been thru something similar..

My almost 4 year old boy has been potty trained since he was about 2.5yrs..and night time trained for at least a year now. I had been leaving a potty in his room overnight in case he had to go, but took that out a few months ago (seemingly without any issues). Now in the past 2 weeks he has pooped and peed in his dresser drawer once and again this morning he peed in that same dresser drawer. I was so angry I actually swatted him on his bum both times:( those are the only 2 times I have ever done that..and I never want to do it again! I felt terrible both time afterward:( Any suggestions on a better way for me to handle this situation? Any suggestions on what I can be saying/doing with my son so he doesn't do this again? I really don't want to have to leave a potty in his room..

Thanks for any advice you can offer!!

Re: potty training regression? discipline?

• LC122LC122 member
    What does your son say? Did you ask him why he used his drawer? Is he not able to leave his room to get to the bathroom? Or not able to wake you to help him get to the bathroom?

The drawer is oddly specific. He chose to go there rather than his bed or the floor. What would you prefer him do?

4 seems old enough to have a conversation. "We don't potty in our drawers. If you need to potty in the middle of the night, you need to X, Y, and Z" and make sure X, Y, and Z are available to him.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"