October 2014 Moms

Flying while pregnant

So I'm going to be flying home & June & wanted to see if anyone had any tips for flying while pregnant? Should I pick a seat need the back (near the bathroom) or in the middle? Also those TSA body scanner anyone heard anything about them. Not too much published other then trust us they are safe. I think I'll opt out of this one just to be safe. What things to bring to help with an easy flight? Any helpful tips will be great! :)
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Flying while pregnant

• LaDyBostonRNLaDyBostonRN member
    edited April 2014

Get up every hour for a quick walk around the plan. Stay hydrated by drinking water. You want to avoid a blood clot. About the scanners, the general concensus is that they are safe, but it's a personal choice (much like everything else recommended in pregnancy!) That's what I know from a nurse's perspective.

From a pregnant woman's prespective ... My BF is 32 weeks and she just flew and her advice was to get the seat with the most room!

Good luck!!!

image image image

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• The scanners are safe but you can opt out and have a pat down (at least that is how O'Hare does it).

I would sit in the front of the plane so you get on last and off first...proximity to the bathroom never entered my mind (to this day I have never used an airplane bathroom).  But I would recommend bringing some snacks and water.  It isn't really all that different than flying when you aren't pregnant.  Other than maybe picking an aisle seat so you don't have to walk over two people to go to the bathroom.
    Lilypie - (JrNi)

Lilypie - (y35Q)

• Loading the player...
  • Depends on the airline, but some will let you upgrade at a discounted rate if it's in the last 24 hours and they have empty seats. 

I asked how much to upgrade on my last flight when I checked in and got to bump up to first class for a pretty minimal charge. If it's an option for you, I'd go with having more room and just being more comfortable over all.
  • I'll be watching this because i'm flying next month out of state for business. I HATE flying. Wish I could have a really stiff drink!
  • i went through a TSA body scanner in february and didn't think anything about it until after.  i got all weirded out and looked it up and found out it is supposedly fine.  i didn't see any signs posted about not going through if you are pregnant.  as far as seating goes, i wouldn't want to sit too near the bathrooms due to possible smells so i'd choose an aisle seat so you don't have to disrupt anyone if you get up several times.  plus you'll be able to stand up and stretch which is good when pregnant.  pack some snacks and buy a water past security so you don't have to wait on the beverage cart.  safe travels!
  • Thanks for the tips!  I am flying next week and those are things I haven't even thought about!
  • I'd second a lot of the advice already given- get up and walk around at least every hour, bring a bottle of water onto the plane, and get an aisle seat.  Also, if the flight is long consider compression stockings to help against swelling and blot clots.  I flew transatlantic late in my last pregnancy and my dr recommended them.

• I'm flying in July and am planning on an aisle seat for sure.  

I'd also make sure to buy a large water bottle once you're through security and I also bring a large empty bottle that I ask the flight attendant to fill up when they come around for drink service.  Sometimes they save me for last and then go in the back to fill it up, but they've never told me 'no'.  That way, I have extra water on me without paying for more overpriced water bottles in the terminal. I do this even when not pregnant.

Other PPs have given good advice!  I am definitely going to try asking for a discounted upgrade!
    PM me for blog link!

Lilypie - (oGcT)Lilypie - (iEmQ)  
  • Stay hydrated, sit as near the front as possible so you can get in and out quickly, and if it's a long flight, take a couple walking breaks. I think the scanners are safe... I went through them plenty of times with DS. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

• AlphaSierraAlphaSierra member
    edited April 2014
    I travel a lot and the first time I did I asked the TSA agent about the scanners being safe  for pregnant women. He was a sweet old man and said they were, but the look on his face and hesitation about saying that was enough for me to opt out. Also, my DH is a pilot and he isn't supposed to go through the scanners (because of how much they'd have to go through them) so he feels like if they aren't safe for him, he doesn't want me in them while pregnant.

All that being said, I doubt going through the scanner every now and then will cause any harm, but it is all about what you are comfortable with. If you do decide to do the pat down, I will recommend that you wear an undershirt. For part of the pat down (takes like 5 mins), they pull up your shirt slightly and check the waistband of your pants. Honestly, after the first pat down, I don't find them to be any big deal anymore. It's not nearly as awkward as I had played out in my head.

Good luck and have a great trip!

ETA: If you are a more modest person, you can always ask to do your pat down in a more private place. I haven't done this, but I'm guessing it is just a room or behind a screen off to the side.
    KLS1003.2

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I fly a lot (at least one coast to coast trip per month). Take your water bottle and have the flight attendants keep it full. Walk at least every hour. Get an aisle seat. Wear support stockings. Pack some snacks. I avoid the body scanner and either use the metal detector of opt for a pat down. The scanners have radiation but the metal detectors do not. Pack a light carry on and check the rest so you don't have to carry around a lift a heavy bag.

• I just flew from NJ to Jamaica for my baby moon last week. I would actually suggest the opposite and say grab a window seat if you can. I sat in the isle on the way there and was SO uncomfortable. I was much happier leaning on the windows and snoozing.
  • ashie0610 said:

I'm flying in July and am planning on an aisle seat for sure.  

I'd also make sure to buy a large water bottle once you're through security and I also bring a large empty bottle that I ask the flight attendant to fill up when they come around for drink service.  Sometimes they save me for last and then go in the back to fill it up, but they've never told me 'no'.  That way, I have extra water on me without paying for more overpriced water bottles in the terminal. I do this even when not pregnant.

Other PPs have given good advice!  I am definitely going to try asking for a discounted upgrade!
    @ashie0610‌ they're filling it up with more bottled water right? Not tap water from the plane?

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

BabyFruit Ticker
  • 35nhappy said:
    I'm flying in July and am planning on an aisle seat for sure.  

@ashie0610‌ they're filling it up with more bottled water right? Not tap water from the plane?
    @35nhappy, yup, they usually go back and grab one of the large bottles of water and then will take it over to me and pour it in.  Some have had me pour it myself.  I think they just wait until the end so that they can serve the other passengers asking for normal amounts of water first without running out.
    PM me for blog link!

Lilypie - (oGcT)Lilypie - (iEmQ)  
  • I just flew from NJ to Jamaica for my baby moon last week. I would actually suggest the opposite and say grab a window seat if you can. I sat in the isle on the way there and was SO uncomfortable. I was much happier leaning on the windows and snoozing.
    I love the window seats!! DH and I always fight for it when we fly, but I think this time I'll win being the pregnant one!

I'm flying out TONIGHT for Las Vegas - so I also appreciate the advice from PPs! It's a 3.5 hour flight, so I will need to get up and walk around it sounds like. I'm still undecided about the body scanner......I'll make a last minute decision.

imageimage
  • Flew from Ireland to US alone yesterday. My suggestions...get an aisle seat (cause you can pee every half hour if you need without annoying people), ask for help, and drink waaaaay more than you need.

I didn't drink enough and am paying for dehydration today with bad cramps. Drinking is a pain because then you go to the bathroom a lot on plane, but the pain today probably could have been prevented if I drank more than I needed.

Good luck.
    ~First time mama, strikingly handsome husband, comedic pooch, krumpin' baby girl on her way~

• You guys rock! Thanks for all the awesome advise! Didn't think about the smell of the bathroom yuck lol will definitely go more towards the front. Good tip on the bottle of water that they can refill I will do that. I usually sleep on the window but if I need room I can always have DH switch with me :) he lugs around all the heavy stuff too. Still undecided about the body scanners but it's good that I can always opt out if it makes me too nervous
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I flew at 8 and 9 weeks. I was very nauseous- hopefully you won't be by June! I had to have an air sickness bag very close, and gingerale REALLY helped! I would say front of the plane is better so you can get off first. I asked the security people if the scanner was ok and they said yes, so I decided to trust them! 
    TTC Since August, 2013
    BFP#1 11/2/2013 EDD 7/14/2014 MMC discovered at 8w3d (baby stopped growing at 6w2d)
    BFP#2 2/4/2014 EDD 10/15/2014 please stick little one!

• I have also heard that depending on the airline, you may have to bring a letter from your doctor.  Call the airline and double check their requirements.  From what I can tell, United Airlines (I'm flying with them in June) requires a letter no matter how far along you are. 

I just flew with them Monday and you only need documentation if you're traveling in your ninth month.
    O14 May Siggy Challenge: Cinco de Mayo
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Sofia2529 said:

I have also heard that depending on the airline, you may have to bring a letter from your doctor.  Call the airline and double check their requirements.  From what I can tell, United Airlines (I'm flying with them in June) requires a letter no matter how far along you are. 

I just flew with them Monday and you only need documentation if you're traveling in your ninth month.

@Sofia2529 Awesome!  Good to know.  I thought what I had read was a little strict and odd.  Thanks!!

No problem!
    O14 May Siggy Challenge: Cinco de Mayo
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Beware that you are more prone to nosebleeds during pregnancy and the dry air on a plane can bring one on.  I got a horrible one after I flew from Australia to the US in my last pregnancy.  So pack some tissues :)
  • Great information, girls!

We are flying to Argentina tomorrow (3.5 hours flught) and to NYC in early May (10 hours flight). These tips will help a lot!

• We just flew this past Tuesday on a 5 1/2 hour flight (between two flights). At our airport they actually put majority of the people through the metal detectors and only picked a few to go through the actual scanner. Luckily we got to go through the metal detector. Agreed with everyone else. Drink plenty of water, our seats were close enough to the bathrooms yet far enough not to smell. I sat in the aisle so I didn't have to climb over people. I also brought snacks as our airline carrier didn't offer any free (our flight last year did so it helps to check). And wear comfortable clothes!
    BabyFruit Ticker

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I'm flying across the country in two weeks, and then again in June. I was told to get support hose (euchhhh). I'm definitely going to ask my OB about the scanners when I go in for my next appt, though.
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker

April siggy challenge -- FLOWERS!!!

• I'll be flying next weekend for a Vegas weekend with friends.  I personally avoid the body scanners and opted for a pat down a few times while TTC (during the two week wait).  I just don't feel comfortable with the body scanners (especially while pregnant but also in general) and that's reason enough to avoid them.  You just need to tell someone you want to opt out if you end up in a line for one.  Anyone can do this and you don't have to explain why.

If you are a woman they will have a woman do the pat down.  They will do it in a private area (in a side room or behind a screen) if you request.
    BabyFruit Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I just flew last week. I chose an aisle seat towards the front of the plane for easy access to the bathroom if needed. The best thing I did was to bring lots of snacks and some juice. I know they give you juice when they come by, but being able to have it when I wanted/needed it was better. I was super hungry on all of my flights so the goldfish crackers I bought for $3 at the airport convenience store was well worth it. If I didn't have a carry-on, I would have chosen the first seat on the flight with the extra leg-room, but overall, it worked out okay.
    ---

• I went on a trip to Africa at the beginning of my 11th week and came back at the beginning of my 13th week.  With over 24 hours of flying each way, it was super important for me to be comfortable.  My guidelines were: have an aisle seat so I wouldn't have to wake up anyone when I went to the bathroom or walked around, bring snacks in case I didn't like the meals or the meals didn't come when I was hungry, and be near the bathroom.  I generally don't have problems with flying and was happy that with these guidelines in mind, I didn't have any additional problems.  Make sure to wear a comfortable outfit with layers in case it gets either too cold or too hot.  Check your bag if you are flying alone and don't want to hoist it up into the overhead compartment.  Lastly, have fun on your trip!  
  • Hi,

I've flown twice already, and although it's early on, it was much nicer when I had the aisle seat closer to the bathroom. The first time I got a bladder infection, so drink lots of water!!

There isn't much safety info in the scanners.. It's a bummer. I've gotten pat downs every time tho to be safe. It's also one of those things that its so new, how much do they really know?
    Plan for an extra 10-15 minutes for that though, because they make you wait until someone's available to do the pat down.

Bring real food snacks!
  • I fly a decent amount. I've flown twice already this pregnancy and will fly 6-8 more times this pregnancy. I actually prefer a window seat. I agree with pp to bring lots of snacks, and you can bring them from home and through security, even fresh fruit, just not liquid.

I willnot go through the scanner. It's basically an xray and you are told to avoid xray while pregnant so I don't understand what would make the scanner safe. The Tsa agents are always very nice and respectful. I've never had a problem opting out and I've actually had a couple tell me they understand and wouldn't go through them themselves.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • You guys rock! Thanks for all the awesome advise! Didn't think about the smell of the bathroom yuck lol will definitely go more towards the front. Good tip on the bottle of water that they can refill I will do that. I usually sleep on the window but if I need room I can always have DH switch with me :) he lugs around all the heavy stuff too. Still undecided about the body scanners but it's good that I can always opt out if it makes me too nervous
    Late update here: I just got back from my trip to Las Vegas and after all the great advice that was given, I did opt out of the body scanner. As PP said, they had a female bring me to a different area (not private, I didn't care for that) and she was very nice and respectful. Told me everything she was doing as she was doing it - when she used the back of her hand, etc. Easy peasy!

I had a middle seat on the way there and a window seat on the way back. Never used the bathroom on the 3 hour flight, and didn't drink water. I was completely fine with one exception - swollen ankles!! My feed and ankles swelled up after each flight for over 12 hours. It was pretty uncomfortable, but I just had to wait for it to pass I guess. I don't know what to do differently next time I fly to prevent that :(

imageimage
  • This is great info, ladies! Thank you for sharing! I'll be flying next week (two connecting flights) and am taking notes from you!
  • If the flight is longer than 4 hours, you should get up and walk around frequently. Cross country flights can increase your chance for blood clots in your legs, but I think overall it happens pretty infrequently. Drink a lot of water, walk around and you should be fine. Get an aisle seat so you can comfortably do all that. As far as the scanners go, just tell them you are pregnant, they give you a pat down instead of making you go through the scanner. No biggie.

[MC 11.20.11] [DS born 9.24.12] [DD born 10.15.14]

• Let me tell you what saved me when I flew towards the end of my pregnancy last year... A PILLOW for my lower back!! LIFE SAVER!
    Plus snacks- I wouldn't have survived without those two things!
    I fly this Thursday with my 1 year old but I am only 10 weeks along so hopefully I don't feel any nausea and we have smooth sailing since DH can't come.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers image     Lilypie Second Birthday tickers  imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers  image

• I have also heard that depending on the airline, you may have to bring a letter from your doctor.  Call the airline and double check their requirements.  From what I can tell, United Airlines (I'm flying with them in June) requires a letter no matter how far along you are. 
    Are you serious? Because I"m flying in June, United, and my doctor doesn't even want me to run. So. I guess I have to cancel that trip and just lose the $1500.
  • Sofia2529 said:
    I have also heard that depending on the airline, you may have to bring a letter from your doctor.  Call the airline and double check their requirements.  From what I can tell, United Airlines (I'm flying with them in June) requires a letter no matter how far along you are. 
    @Sofia2529 Awesome!  Good to know.  I thought what I had read was a little strict and odd.  Thanks!!
    Oh thank god, nevermind. I should read the whole thread.
  • Awesome advice! I completely forgot about having to go to the bathroom so much and flying. How I could forget, I have no idea because I feel like I'm constantly going. Didn't even think about support socks! I wear them at the hospital since I'm on my feet all the time and love them....I can tell a huge difference when I don't wear them. I started wearing them years ago before I was even pregnant but didn't think to wear them on a flight! Thanks girls!
    2013- 2 IVF cycles with PGD to prevent genetic disorder from being passed on. Both BFFN :(
    2/2014 pregnant!  EDD 10/17/2014

All always welcome! :)
     Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic  Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"