August 2014 Moms
Options

Hot drinks?

Do you have any hot drinks you're drinking? Tea? Coffee? Etc?
I'm dying. I'm such a hot drink person and I'm nervous to drink anything. I've had the occasional cup of decaf coffee and hot chocolate, which I usually only drink half of, but every time I think I'm ok drinking something I read something else about it not being safe. Now Im worried about if what I have had did any harm. I tried rooibis tea but couldn't find anything concrete on it other than its probably ok. I started drinking red raspberry leaf tea but then I read it's not good if you've already had a c section or are having one. I'll admit Im one of those paranoid people that tries to follow all the recommended do's and dont's but I need something hot dammit!

Re: Hot drinks?

• Options
    I second LadyAle's recommendations :) Treat yourself to a hot drink!  I drink chai tea a couple times a week when I am craving something hot.  My OB says any non-herbal tea is fine once a day.

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I'm not a coffee person but I do enjoy a nice vanilla chai now and then. I drink them so infrequently that I don't feel badly about it. I have been avoiding green tea, but like PP I'm not 100% sure why...
    Married November 2009
    Clara, August 2014 
    Baby Boy due October 2017
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have a cup of regular coffee every morning.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    I drink coffee every morning, tea at night. I have with my 2 previous pregnancies too and it's never been an issue :) enjoy your hot drinks!!
    Soon to be mommy of 3!
    DS Grayson (3yrs) (Emergency Csec)
    imageDS Camden (1yr) (All natural Vbac)
    DD Isabella due 8/2/2014

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks. For some reason I thought chai tea wasn't ok. I'm definitely going to get a cup tomorrow. I've even found myself eating more because I'm replacing the hot drink with food. It needs to stop! Lol
  • Options
    Mmmmm chai! I have one or two a week! Now, I am going to have one tomorrow!
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I've been drinking green tea regularly and my midwives have no problem with it. It's not on my "avoid" or "limit" list either. They only asked me to avoid herbal teas and drink black tea in moderation (like coffee). Raspberry leaf tea is said to possibly induce labor so some sources recommend avoiding it until full term.
  • Options
    I cut down from four coffees a day to maybe one cup of regular or a big iced tea as my caffeine fix. I drink a decaf black tea or have a decaf latte if I want more.
    yes, my baby is a zombie.

Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Another spiced chai tea latte drinker here. It has less caffeine than coffee. In my first week of pregnancy, when I was following all the rules, I ordered a lot of hot chocolate and steaming hot lemon water.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata - Personal picturePitaPata Dog tickers Teacher 2007 * Wife 2011 * Proud A14 Momma * Seattle, WA
  • Options
    I drink chai too, that sounds so lovely.
    Soon to be mommy of 3!
    DS Grayson (3yrs) (Emergency Csec)
    imageDS Camden (1yr) (All natural Vbac)
    DD Isabella due 8/2/2014

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    You're fine to have teas like mint, ginger, decaf black tea (or even caffeinated occasionally). Is it the caffeine you're worried about in your hot cocoa? There's very little, but if so try a hot carob with carob powder instead - I've been mixing the powder into almond milk in the afternoons and it's an awesome little pause in my day. Bonus points, because carob powder is naturally sweet (unlike cocoa), you don't need to add sweetener.

image    image
  • Options
    I tried cutting out coffee altogether. Was getting horrible headaches so my OB said it was fine to have coffee, in moderation. I try not to have a cup everyday, but was told even one cup is fine. I usually get an iced coffee about 3 or 4x a week. Somedays you just need it! 
    BabyFetus Ticker

Our first.. Baby BOY! EDD 8/20/14 :) 
  • Options
    I drink 2 cups if coffee and the occasional decaf chai at night.
    Occasionally I'll drink a soda instead of my second cup of coffee.

Mom  to S-07/22/10 & Q-12/14/11 L-8/23/14

• Options
    I drink a cup of oolong tea every morning and with my lunch.
    ALLI & ERIK - 12.12.10
    Stella - 7.7.11 | Ian - 8.6.14 | Isaac- 7.20.18
    #4 due 4.22.23

• Options
    I was approved to drink up to 2 cups of coffee a day, but I don't because I am being extra cautious. I only have a cup when I have a headache. I found that most decaf coffee tastes weird, so I switched to naturally decaf twinnings Irish breakfast or rooibos. Also, if you like Starbucks espresso drinks, they can make them decaf and they are wonderful! They taste just like the real thing.

Please don't worry about the hot chocolate, either! It would really take a lot of chocolate to reach he levels in coffee and even then it takes a lot of coffee to cause issues. Just try to keep it in moderation. That is what is important.

TTC Since January 2012 Me:37 DH:34      DX July 2013: Unexplained Infertility      New DX Dec 2013: DOR
    BFP#1 6/4/12 EDD 2/13/13 M/C 6/6/12  BFP#2 2/21/13 EDD 11/3/13 M/C 2/26/13 BFP#3 C/P
    4 rounds of clomid, 2 with IUI = BFN
    November/December Retesting/Natural Cycle = Surprise BFP @ 11dpo! Beta#1 76.6@13dpo Beta #2 276@15dpo u/s#1 6w2d hb113 u/s#2 8w2d, measuring 8w4d hb168! 10w2d hb171 12w3d Verifi results are in and good! EDD 8/23 Our Baby Girl Rainbow Baby born 8/20/2014!!!
    Um...what? BFP 11/2/15!?! EDD 7/4/16
  • Options
    I've also been drinking a lot of tea. I drink 1-2 caffeinated cups a day (Twinings English Breakfast), sometimes in the morning, and EVERY afternoon. I will not miss my afternoon tea. I will sometimes drink herbal tea at night or in between. With regards to safety, black tea is considered the safest, but really, any herbal tea in moderation is fine. I did stay away from any tea that says "awake" on it as I'm wondering if they increase the caffeine in it. If Im really hankering for green tea, like when I'm sick, I won't drink it 4 hours before/after my prenatal vitamin or folic acid-rich meal, as some say it can block the absorption. Other than that, drink away!!!
  • Options
    You're fine to have teas like mint, ginger, decaf black tea (or even caffeinated occasionally). Is it the caffeine you're worried about in your hot cocoa? There's very little, but if so try a hot carob with carob powder instead - I've been mixing the powder into almond milk in the afternoons and it's an awesome little pause in my day. Bonus points, because carob powder is naturally sweet (unlike cocoa), you don't need to add sweetener.

Yeah it is the caffeine in the hot chocolate. I thought it was very low in caffeine but then I read something else saying it wasn't. It's so annoying because everything you read says something different. The almond milk and carob powder sounds great though, I'm going to try it.
  • Options
    schnookeeschnookee member
    edited April 2014

I basically only drink water and tea, or a mix of the two (cold.) I might have a cup of coffee once or twice a week, but I never finish it. I used to ONLY drink coffee (and diet soda), I just kind of gave it up without thinking a few months ago.

I love plain black tea, honey chai, licorice peppermint and plain peppermint tea.

Honey chai and licorice peppermint sound really yummy. I used to only drink coffee and water. I was drinking quite a bit of coffee when I found out I was pregnant but cut down pretty quickly. I had no problem cutting it out when I was pregnant with my first but I think I enjoy the taste of it so much more now so I think it's making it harder. Edited for double quote
  • Options
    I have one cup of green or black tea in the morning
    I did the same thing with my first and he's fine.
    It's fine. Really

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"