Working Moms
Options

Critique my email to a former employer (receiving harassing phone calls from ex-coworkers)

The reason I'm stuck commuting 100 miles a day is that about a year and a half ago, a contract job I had, within reasonable commuting distance from my house, was abruptly terminated three days after I was given an office and a promotion of sorts.  They gave me some bullshit story about the company being in bad straits financially. But, one of their employees knew someone in my husband's office, badmouthed me to all his coworkers, and put him in a very uncomfortable position at work for a long time,.

Fast forward, and they've hired a few people to try to resume the work I was doing. And they keep messaging me through LinkedIn, emailing me, calling me, asking me to give them FREE advice on their company's business processes.  I'm already struggling with extreme depression and anxiety, and this is an extra kick in the gut. After cutting short a phone call from a department manager, I got an email from someone in a different department saying, "the COO, and X, Y, Z person are the only ones that didn't like you and here's why". I am sitting at my desk shaking and about to puke.

I'm thinking of sending this email to the head of their HR:

-----

I have been receiving communication lately from several employees at your company who want my advice and perspective on certain aspects of FIRM's business processes and data collection, as well as editorial about who did and did not like me personally.

On XX date, management decided that it was best to end our professional relationship.  I was extremely disappointed, but moved on and how have a demanding new role with a long and stressful commute.

The decision to terminate my contract was entirely within FIRM's rights and reasonability and I wish the company all the best. While the contact is extremely insulting and upsetting on a personal level; more importantly it's professionally inappropriate and unfair to your company. 

I wish the company all the best, but would appreciate if your employees don't reach out for my professional assistance again.

Thoughts?

Re: Critique my email to a former employer (receiving harassing phone calls from ex-coworkers)

• Options
    PP gave great advice, that is too bad they are continuing to basically harass you. I would send a complaining email every week for it continues, be sure to CC their HR department, their COO or any other higher ups that you believe should be informed. If it doesn't stop, threaten legal action...I'm not an attorney, so I have no idea, but I'm sure you can claim harassment charges and maybe even get a cease and desist order or a restraining order.

Henry Cavill...You're welcome!

BFP #3: EDD 1/10/13 **DS born 12/30/12!!!**
    BFP #2: MC 7/2/11 @ 12 weeks
    **Missing our February '12 LoveBug**
    BFP #1: MMC discovered on 12/6/10

Anniversary

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    K3am said:
    This is a crappy position that they're putting you in...  I don't know the best way to go about handling it at all, hopefully someone with experience can chime in.

In regards to the letter, I think it's fine, I personally would just eliminate the info about the commute, maybe just end the sentence after "but moved on an now have a new role." Unless you're angling for getting your prior position back, any discontent with the new role or commute is irrelevant. 

Agree with all of this. Crappy situation for you - I hope they will leave you alone.  
  • Options

A demanding job is good. Keeps me from getting bored.

I'm giving the jerks the satisfaction because getting contacted by multiple people, through multiple channels, is giving me more panic attacks that I frankly don't need.  What I need is for them to lave me the F alone. I would like to do that without help from an attorney.  Hence the contact.

• Options
    ss265ss265 member
    So it's 1.5 years later and they are STILL contacting you? Have you tried ignoring their calls, telling them politely that you don't feel comfortable advising them since you have left the company? If you have gone through all that, then sending their HR the letter is probably appropriate. Sorry that you are having to go through this.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    VORVOR member
    MommyAtty said:
    I would keep the first paragraph, keep the first sentence of paragraphs 2-3 and combine them into a single paragraph, add a sentence that says you've moved on to a new position and need to spend your time working on that job, not fielding requests for free advice. Then leave the last paragraph how it is, and if you're interested in working for them in the future, you can say that. Maybe "would appreciate it if your employees didn't reach out for assistance unless or until my contract with the firm is reestablished."

Fully agree. But I'd honestly be a little more specific - mention that their employees call you and message you through numerous channels and some of the communciation is unprofessional (perhaps send an example). Also - are you documenting all this? I hope so. LIst who is calling you, when, what is said, etc. Save all messages. Etc.
  • Options
    VORVOR member
    While a demanding job is good, the comment about the stressful commute makes it sound bad and like you're complaining. Also- as someone else said, stop answering their calls and responding to their messages.
  • Options

VOR said:
    MommyAtty said:
    I would keep the first paragraph, keep the first sentence of paragraphs 2-3 and combine them into a single paragraph, add a sentence that says you've moved on to a new position and need to spend your time working on that job, not fielding requests for free advice. Then leave the last paragraph how it is, and if you're interested in working for them in the future, you can say that. Maybe "would appreciate it if your employees didn't reach out for assistance unless or until my contract with the firm is reestablished."

Fully agree. But I'd honestly be a little more specific - mention that their employees call you and message you through numerous channels and some of the communciation is unprofessional (perhaps send an example). Also - are you documenting all this? I hope so. LIst who is calling you, when, what is said, etc. Save all messages. Etc.
    All of this.  That email you received in which the sender listed who didn't like you will be a gem if this does come to legal action.  So sorry you have to go through this.  Hope your email will result in not hearing from that company anymore!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Well, the communication was NIL for almost 1.5 years, then it began up again about a month ago. And if they're not paying me (not only that but badmouthing me around town) they forfeit any right for me to be willing to "assist during a transition period".  Had they played it differently, sure.  But that ship has sailed.

I've emailed HR a nicer version of the letter above, since I've gotten some emails this afternoon.  It's not just email, but also phone, text, about a dozen people repeatedly checking my LinkedIn.  But I'm still shaking. Oh well, I have some good stuff on email as well as I meet with a psych (FINALLY) tomorrow.  

• Options
    Not to hijack your thread, but it is good to hear from you.
    DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • Options
    emberlee3 said:
    Not to hijack your thread, but it is good to hear from you.

:)

Thanks!

• Options
    I would block the numbers of the people who are texting you. On LinkedIn, if you can just delete the messages and forget about them, that's probably best. Second best, if it would cause you anxiety to receive them and want/need the messages to stop, would be to have a drafted simple message you can send back to anyone who pings you for advice. Something along the lines of - 
    "I have not worked for the FIRM for 1.5 years and am not in a position to advise you on how to proceed, but I wish you & the FIRM all the best. Sincerely, @EgoCommaAlter"

For your letter to HR, I'd let them know that you're very busy with your new position and won't be in a position to continue advising the firm for free. If you phrase it like that, it clearly communicates that your time and services are not freebies - if they want to hire you back on as a consultant, they should send you a proposed contract. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

A demanding job is good. Keeps me from getting bored.

I'm giving the jerks the satisfaction because getting contacted by multiple people, through multiple channels, is giving me more panic attacks that I frankly don't need.  What I need is for them to lave me the F alone. I would like to do that without help from an attorney.  Hence the contact.

I think you're misunderstanding me. Send the letter. (I'm glad you sent something.). I would just do the "living well is the best revenge" thing. If they didn't like you, well f them. Someone new does. And you love them back. And it's obvious they miss you, but gosh you are so sorry but you've moved on already. :). Have some fun and rub their noses in it. They need you, you don't need them, and doesn't that suck for one of you? (Hint: It's not you it sucks for.)
  • Options

I didn't say "Stop contacting me" outright.  But I did ignore the initial emails, and I responded to one of the people something along the lines of, "Because I have not worked for your firm in 1.5 years, I don't think my advice is helpful or appropriate." Which IMO isn't, "Hey, call me!"

Such assholes. I can't imagine how you get to that level of entitlement!

• Options

Bump. Heard back from the head of HR this morning.  "I don't know if I can assist you, and I have to say I'm a bit confused by your email."

Fine. I'm going to bring it, forward the emails these people sent.

• Options
    Sounds like HR is buying time.  I agree with @EastCoastBride - use the phrase "I am beginning to feel harassed."  Also send them names and emails and other documentation in your response.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    You could throw in a line that going forward, any further requests for your professional guidance will be billed at $X hourly rate. If the communications don't stop after your final letter to HR, submit a bill.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Pips I basically copied your response verbatim.

No word back.

I'm just LIVID that these people are so entitled, that they feel their company's SOOOO awesome, that I should want to bend over backwards to just work for free. Seriously, it looks like they're reaching out a year after the fact, to rub my contract termination in my face. 

My friend is telling me I should give BAD advice free... <evil laugh>

• Options
    You could throw in a line that going forward, any further requests for your professional guidance will be billed at $X hourly rate. If the communications don't stop after your final letter to HR, submit a bill.

:))

• Options

K3am - the bit about giving bad advice was a joke, hence the fake Evil Laugh html tag at the end. :)

I'm such a leper in this community anyway, for no apparent reason. That's part of the reason I have such a long commute.

• Options
    I'm just LIVID that these people are so entitled, that they feel their company's SOOOO awesome, that I should want to bend over backwards to just work for free. Seriously, it looks like they're reaching out a year after the fact, to rub my contract termination in my face. 
    To a degree, you're actually giving them a lot of power here.  I understand why you're upset - I do.  But other than with HR, all the rest of them?  Ignore ignore ignore.  Document as much as you can, but outside of that - ignore.  Don't answer their calls, don't reply to their messages.  Just go to total silence. 

From what little insight you gave here, this company just doesn't sound normal.  While you won't always get along w/ everyone, while there is always workplace drama-  for the fact that multiple people are now reaching out to you after a year AND bringing up old drama - they simply aren't normal

Don't invest any more time or emotion on this whack-job of a former workplace of yours! 
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options

K3am - the bit about giving bad advice was a joke, hence the fake Evil Laugh html tag at the end. :)

I'm such a leper in this community anyway, for no apparent reason. That's part of the reason I have such a long commute.

Just remember, you may feel as though you are ousted from your area, but you can't be because they apparently still see value in your opinion/advice.  Give yourself a little pat on the back for that little win just for yourself!

• Options

Just remember, you may feel as though you are ousted from your area, but you can't be because they apparently still see value in your opinion/advice.  Give yourself a little pat on the back for that little win just for yourself

Thanks, but the problem in this area is that people see newcomers as owing the community something, like we have to justify our right to have moved here. What pisses me off is that they see themselves as ENTITLED to get my assistance for free, just because I moved to THEIR community. Where it looks like they've badmouthed me so much, I was unable to find a job within an hour's drive of my home, and it pays me what I made 9 years ago.

I don't see myself REMOTELY as having "won".

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"