August 2014 Moms

Surviving Summer!

My husband and I are getting prepared for my pregnancy this Summer in Texas. We have a pool, but decided to buy a VERY inexpensive water-mister from Lowes (hooks up to your hose and doesn't use that much water). It works wonders and a plus would be to add a nice fan, turned on low, behind it!! :)

I also am stocking up on cheap bathing suits, floppy hats, maxi dresses, and palazzo pants (for going out). Comfort is key and these items are very much in style and everywhere!

Does anyone have other suggestions for comfort in 100 degree weather while in your third trimester?

Re: Surviving Summer!

• My inlaws have those misters! They bought a bunch of them and we line them up in between the lounge chairs by the pool. Life savers, even before I was pregnant.

I work from home, so I am planning on working in the basement, where our house is the coolest. I do plan to hang out at my IL's pool quite a bit, but I honestly plan on camping out in the nice, cold basement with some netflix pretty frequently as well. We call our basement Australia because in summer it is freezing down there and in winter it's so hot.
    BFP 12.13.13. Baby Girl EDD 8.21.14.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Loading the player...
  • I am 100% with you @chase16. I LOVE the heat and am so excited. I hate being cold. If I get too hot, I'll just whale out at the pool, but I am stoked! 
    Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

• When I was 26 weeks pregnant with DS, we moved to Arizona and he was born in September. I took a outside water aerobics class with my gym every day and it was amazing- it felt great to be out in the pool and getting some exercise, even if I was the youngest class member haha. It really wasn't bad being pregnant in the heat- just make sure you stay hydrated and have lots of comfy sundresses!

BabyFruit Ticker

• I also love the heat but not sure if I'll still be able to tolerate it as well when I'm pregnant

My plan is to hit up my parent's community pool often and to go out a lot since we save money by not turning on the air.

I'm worried about sleeping though. I woke up last night from being hot since we are in 80/90 degree weather already. I have one of those water spray fan things though
    photo c9f20a08-e61b-4141-972e-d243ea91d7a9.jpg
  • I don't have a pool, but my parents do and they live 15 min from my work.  My plan is to go to work, then go to my parent's house and float in their pool until 6pm, get home around 6:30 when DH gets home from work/gym, and shower while he makes dinner, then ice cream.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm one of those idiots out running in 100+ temps, but it's an entirely different ball game while pregnant. Lots of pool time and ac time. With dd I would walk around the mall since it was inside and lots of bathrooms (she is a July baby). Also doesn't help there was a tcby on the way home from my old job.

photo 63d081b2-beb9-4486-ae4e-de648860b72c_zpsa8e37ee8.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• chase16 totally with you on that! I love the heat...but for me, it has to be a dry heat...I don't do so well in humid heat, but either way, I'll take that over being cold!!! lol. 

Sorry for the crappy layout. I bump from my phone. AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • chase16 said:
    I have a confession: I LOVE the heat, and cant wait for temps to get above 100 degrees this summer.. I am probably the only person on A14 that will not be miserable this summer. (The trade off tho is that I am MISERABLE in any weather under 45 degrees.. Truly cannot function because all I can think about is how cold I am).
    This!!!!!

I had DD middle of June, and I never once had a complaint about the heat.  I LOVE summer!!!!

It's rainy and around 55 today.  I've had the heater on by my desk.  I can't function in cold weather.
    Married April 12
    DD June 13
    #2 EDD 8/8/14 - DS July 14
    2 Furry Kids - 
    Rosco: The most awesome pug ever.
    Pumpkin: The most non-catlike cat ever.  
  • I live in Texas too, and we don't have a pool, but my BIL does, so I'm sure we will be over there tons. I would like to go to the water park because it's 5 minutes away, but I don't feel like getting weird looks.

imageimage

BabyFetus Ticker ETA: I'm on iPad/iPhone
  • I live in FL and I just plan to be in the pool or AC as much as possible. I was so hot in December here when I had DS so this summer should be interesting.

• I plan on floating like a whale at my parents' pool, and/or setting up a hose mister in our yard, and LOTS of ice cream and froyo. Also, AC unit in the house
  • God bless air conditioning, cold showers, popcicles and ice caps :)
    First BFP: 12/16/13
    EDD: 08/23/14
    Baby BOY born: 08/29/14
  • My current plan is to have a complete and utter disregard for our electric bill lol.  We will be living in TX by then, and I'm worried about handling the heat.  I just keep reminding myself that at least it won't be near as humid as summers in VA

• @shortermommy, yep.  I'm in AL.  

Also, the IL's have a pool, and they've given me a key and permission to come over whenever I want. 
    Married April 12
    DD June 13
    #2 EDD 8/8/14 - DS July 14
    2 Furry Kids - 
    Rosco: The most awesome pug ever.
    Pumpkin: The most non-catlike cat ever.  
  • @Jennicillin‌ ditto what @scarfbandit‌ said. Also doesn't help that we are in a drought and all of our lakes are very very low, or almost dried up. :-/

imageimage

• I know their summers are rough, but seriously, when we visited 2 summers ago everyone was complaining about the heat and humidity and my husband and I were sitting there going 'What?  This is great!"  Even though it was in triple digits there, the heat index was lower than in VA so we were on cloud 9 lol

• I love the idea of living in maxi dresses all summer but as a "bigger" girl with no thigh gap (ever) I can't figure out how that is going to end well. Chafing...ugh.
    @Kcatboston
    Deodorant on the thighs. My thighs have been rubbing as long as I can remember and this is the best tip anyone has given me.

Mom  to S-07/22/10 & Q-12/14/11 L-8/23/14

• @Danielle0989‌ I live in the north dfw area and just read on Fox 4 lake Granbury is so dried out they found a truck with the remains of a missing woman from the 70's!!!

Yeah I saw that too! What part of DFW do you live in?! I'm in Johnson county!

imageimage

• edited April 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Neato!! We're in Collin county!! :-h

Well hello neighbor a couple counties north! :-)

imageimage

• @scarfbandit‌ I sent you a PM.

imageimage

• I'm not sure how I will survive.  I read in the newspaper the other day that the farmer's almanac is predicting a very hot, humid summer.  I may spend a lot of time in malls and stores for free air conditioning. 

I'm a teacher and have to work until June 30 in non-air conditioned school.  In June, I am taking off any day above 90 degrees.  My classroom is too brutal in the heat.
  • @jenicillin, where in TX are you moving to again? I lived in both VA (DC Metro Area) and TX (El Paso and San Angelo, now Southern OK), and the heat is VERY nice in comparison to the humidity of VA. I remember trying to run in 100+ degree heat in VA and actually crying because I couldn't figure out why it was so hard for me to run more than 3 blocks at a time after 2 miles haha. Anyways- The dry heat is a wonderful thing. It's kinda like a sauna? (Maybe that sounds awful to some people, but I really and truly can't describe how much I loathe the cold). I was in Arizona for awhile too (Near Tucson), and love love love the desert climate... I would so live there.
  • Just like ops mentioned, I will be floating like a hippo in pools as soon as it hits 80 and those misters are heaven sent. I plan to drink lots of iced water and keep my house air conditioned cool.
  • belle785 said:

I live in FL and I just plan to be in the pool or AC as much as possible. I was so hot in December here when I had DS so this summer should be interesting.

I had DD in December in FL and it was amazing! Summer with a toddler and heat/humidity means we will be at the inlaws pool. I also plan on going to Michigan to the lake where it's 20 degrees cooler than home!

'I loved you for a thousand years and I will love you for a thousand more'

• @chase16 We'll be in San Antonio.  Looking forward to it!

• I'm also in Texas... Pool for sure and maxi dresses... Lots of A/C. We can do this! I also have a porch mister and live that thing in the summer.
  • Another Texan.

I'm DESPERATELY begging DH to get me a pool for this summer.  At this point, I'll take one of those $500 deals from WalMart (we're eventually going to have an above ground professional installed, but...it's not in the budget THIS year). 

Otherwise, I'll be floating my happy butt in my deep bathtub in cool water as soon as I get home, and saying "EFF YOU!!!" to Pedernales Electric Co.

I need to find a friend with a pool.  :(  My parent's neighborhood has 2 pools...but they're always packed and...not all that cool.  Makes me worried with all the kids in there...who never seem to get out of the water.  EVER.  *shudder*

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proud Mother to 16 year old Austin (MCJROTC Sgt., Trumpet playing "Band Nerd" and hopeful Air Force Pilot!)
    Proud Stepmother to 12 year old Josh (Baseball playing, Saxophone playing "Band Nerd" and hopeful Doctor!)
    Proud Mother to baby Kaylee (Stuffed toy playing, Adorable smiling baby and hopeful Rodeo Princess!)

• DS and I will be living at the pool in our neighborhood. We have a mister that connects to a fan and plan on using that when we are at home. Also lots of homemade smoothies/ices and ice cream.

• I love the idea of living in maxi dresses all summer but as a "bigger" girl with no thigh gap (ever) I can't figure out how that is going to end well. Chafing...ugh.
    I wore a dress the other day and completely forgot about that horrid chub rub on my thighs. DO NOT WANT. 

I'm placing an order this week for something called Bandelettes. They're like lacy things that go around your thigh where you need them to help prevent that awful friction. I'm hoping that will do the trick this summer - my normal go to is to wear bike shorts or an old pair of hose with the legs cut off, but neither of those work with my bump anymore.
    You will have to tell us how they work out!

IAmPregnant Ticker   

BabyFruit Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP - 01/04/2016; EDD - 09/15/2016 DS #1 - 07/2014
  • We belong to a neighborhood pool that opens Memorial Day weekend and we also live less than 10 minutes from the beach, so that's where we'll be all summer.  We normally turn our AC on sometime in May and we had new insulation blown in to our attic last year which helps tremendously in the summer.

• My husband and I are getting prepared for my pregnancy this Summer in Texas. We have a pool, but decided to buy a VERY inexpensive water-mister from Lowes (hooks up to your hose and doesn't use that much water). It works wonders and a plus would be to add a nice fan, turned on low, behind it!! :) I also am stocking up on cheap bathing suits, floppy hats, maxi dresses, and palazzo pants (for going out). Comfort is key and these items are very much in style and everywhere! Does anyone have other suggestions for comfort in 100 degree weather while in your third trimester?
    Live in Texas as well and I am with you. I'm dreading the heat. We don't have a pool but my BIL and SIL do, so Im sure I will be at their house all the time. I'm thinking I might just live in shorts and tanks. I'm not a huge dress person and I can tell already when I wear dresses I begin to sweat down there..... So i'm hoping bathing suits, shorts, and tanks will do the trick! Keep cool! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"