Nurseries and Baby Gear

Blackout Curtains

Hey mamas,

My sweet, darling girl used to give me the gift of a 8:30 or 9 am wake up, but, now, she's taken that little gift away from me and is wanting to start the day at 6:30 am and I am having a hard time adjusting (so is she, actually, her naps have been all out of wack!). 

I am wondering if maybe some black-out shades will help. Have any of you had luck with using these? If so, what kind have you used? I am not sure what kind is best, the panel kind, the film kind or the tension mounted vinyl kind. 

FWIW, I am not gifted in the sewing department, so I'd rather buy something than DIY my own.

Thanks, ladies!

Anniversary g
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Blackout Curtains

• We got a few different styles of pannels (from both Target & Bed Bath & Beyond). "Threashhold" is one we bought years ago at Target when LO was born & were not able to find it again. It did great though. The "Home" brand (also from Target) blackout curtains do a poor job at black out.

The Bed Bath & Beyond ones - I think Thermosave is the style/brand as we got - definitly has the gromits which makes it easier to slide open/closed (is not a real quiet process though)...
    www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/boca-striped-thermosave-trade-window-panel/3175141?categoryId=12198
    they do a better job at blocking the light than the more recent Target purchase (and at the store we'd hold them up to the light & see how much it would block... DH's advice is to bring along a flashlight and shine into the curtain from one side to see how much it actually blocks.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Yup! Went through this when DD was younger. I bought blackout panels from Overstock.com and was very happy with the quality. They've got great reviews and a great color selection. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

Natural M/C 1.10 MMC 1.13 CP 12.13
    This is for all the caterpillars that never became butterflies. And for all the butterflies that never felt the wind in their wings. And for all the hearts that had hopes and dreams of a wondrous flight together.
  • Loading the player...
  • They are pricey, but, the ones from Pottery Barn Kids work great! The room we used to have DS in had a blackout blind and we needed something for his new room. I bought ones from Target (can't remember the brand) and they were a joke. The PBK ones do a great job at blocking light.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker} image
  • We are going to get blackout shades from Lowes/Home Depot.  They cut them custom to your window size and they pull down behind your exisitng window treatments to black out light.  In DD's room she has blinds (horizontal) and ruffled sheer panels which I love...so the shades will pull down behind the blinds.  WHen not in use they just roll up and you can't seem them.  Just another option, they're inexpensive too.

Pregnancy Ticker

imageimageimage

• Blackout def. helped our LO sleep. We bought blackout lining at a fabric outlet and clip style curtain rings. Doesn't look nice but no sewing and cheap.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • To try it out to see if it helps, you can pin some beach blankets to the back of whatever ones are hanging up now (or over the curtain rod). Since theyre thicker, it will give you an idea of how she will react to the blackout curtsins. If it works, spring for the blackout curtains. If not, you're unfortunately probably out of luck (but not the money for the new curtains).
  • Thanks, ladies! I appreciate all your suggestions! I ordered some from amazon and tacked them up tonight - here's hoping I'll at least get until 7!!

Anniversary g

BabyFruit Ticker
  • drpayne said:
    These are what we got! I hung them last Wednesday night and I've gotten 8:30 or 8:45 every morning since!! Hallejulah!!

Anniversary g

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"