Baby Showers

Baby Shower question

Hey all... I'm new here... But I had a quick question regarding my baby shower...

I am having a baby boy that's due 2/28/2009. I really wanted to have a Candy Themed baby Shower, but right now we don't have the money to rent a location plus everything else that goes with throwing a baby shower... So, I was thinking of just doing a Bar B Q for the shower... What do you think? I'm thinking of still having baby themed stuff and maybe even still having a Candy bar but not at a venue and maybe just at someone's backyard... Something more casual...

What do you all think??

TIA,

Punky

Re: Baby Shower question

• If you live in the south where its warm enough then that sound fine. Honestly you should let whoever is hosting the shower worry about this.
  • You're right but I don't have anyone hosting the shower... I have people who are helping but nobody really has the time to do that and we're paying for it so I pretty much have to make all the decisions... Oh well...

Yeah and I do live in the South... Miami, Fl to be exact so the weather will be perfect... :O)

• Loading the player...
  • I think it's better not to have a shower if you have to host your own.  You should probably save what money you have for the baby and necessities...

• Agreed - it's very unseemly to host your own shower.  Have a meet-the-baby party instead after the baby is born.
  • imagePunky2377:

You're right but I don't have anyone hosting the shower... I have people who are helping but nobody really has the time to do that and we're paying for it so I pretty much have to make all the decisions... Oh well...

Do not throw your own shower. It's tacky. No matter what anyone tells you, they will bad mouth you behind your back. If no one offers to throw you one, don't have one. Have a "meet the baby" after the birth; people will bring gifts, they always do.
    ?
    ?
    Contemplating the snow.
    Mes Petit Choux
    imageimageimage
    I can't go back to yesterday - because I was a different person then. ~ Alice

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I wouldn't throw my own shower...

Anyway, the people who are hosting mine do not have a lot of money, so it will be held at the host's house and they are doing it at 2pm on a Saturday.  They are doing snacks and dessert.  I don't see anything wrong with a bbq and have been to a bbq baby shower before (assuming it is good weather of course).  I don't think a baby shower has to be a big formal event, but it also depends on your guest list.  If your host can't afford it, you may need to scale back the guest list if it is too large to do it somewhere you don't have to rent out.

• I'm paying for mine and my girlfriends are "hosting". They are going to help me set up and ice cupcakes and stuff, but I'm doing the buying and invites. No big deal. We're going super cheap. Just veggies, sweets, chips, and dip.

• The mom to be should not be paying for her own shower even if someone else is "hosting it". The point of a shower is to have some one else host it and pay for it in honor of you and baby.?

Just because a person is a host does not mean they need to be rolling in money to provide I nice event for the mom to be and baby. It can be simple and cheap and be within the host(s) budget.

As for the OP it is pretty tacky to host/put together your own shower. It looks like you are just gift grabbing. If no one offers to host your shower then dont have one. They are not required. Have a meet the baby get together after the baby is born. Anyone who wants to buy you a gift will do some regardless if you have a baby shower or not. ?

Photobucket
  • Please do not throw your own shower. It is tacky and looks like you are just wanting gifts. The Meet the Baby party is a more tactful way to have people welcome your child. An expectant parent should not pay for their own shower, either. If your friends can't afford a big party, a nice get together is very inexpensive.
  • i don't get this. it's tacky to "throw your own" shower but it's not tacky for a 2nd shower?? that blows my mind. I think that if it appears someone else is doing all of the work and is helping you out financially, there is nothing wrong with helping plan or plan your own shower
  • I agree...I think these ladies need to lighten up about the throwing your own or helping throw your own thing.  Not everyone has someone special in thier life who will throw them a shower.  And frankly I have the money and an empty reception hall so why wouldn't I help my family plan it?  I have already bought all of the high priced items for the baby...I'm not even registering...people can buy outfits if they want.  But we are having a shower to celebrate my pregnancy and our new baby....so lay off!
  • oh and another thing.  I live in cinci oh and have never heard of a "meet the baby" party.  I wouldn't want everyone bringing their germs around my new baby if i could help it
  • I think having a BBQ for your baby shower is fine.  It's simple and cheap and guests tend to enjoy themselves more. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"