Infertility
Options

Family/Friends & IVF

Did you tell any of your family and friends about your plans for IVF and why or why not?

We won't be cycling until sometime this late Summer or early Fall, but I'm trying to decide if I want to tell anybody or not.

Thanks.

Re: Family/Friends & IVF

• Options
    Tea+Tea+ member
    We're pretty open with our journey so most of our family & close friends know. We get great support so it's been okay so far. We just went thru our first ER fail. And it was nice to have support. That may change slightly next go 'round but we'll see. Good luck!
    TTC Since 2012
    Me: Endo Stage IV (20+yrs) (who knew? Not me)
    MyLove: Pretty Ok. Low #s (i think) 
    IVF#1: No Eggs to Retrieve
    Taking time to ourselves
     Poor Responder will add COQ10 & DHEA next cycle
    **All Welcome**

• Options
    I am very open about our infertility struggle, but only told my parents about our IVF timeline this time.  It's really nice to have support, but if you tell people who might be constantly checking in with you about how your appointments go, how you are feelings etc. (and you don't want that) I wouldn't share the details.  For me, constant text messages or calls from people who were trying to support me/were curious made me feel even more pressure. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Anniversary

TTC since 2008
    Dh:34, no issues.  Me:31, Endo, slightly hypothyroid, deformed ovary, paracentric inversion.
    4 Gonal-F, Cetrotide, HcG, Crinone +TI cycles= all BFN
    Lap in 2012 to remove large unresolving cyst discovered endo and double lobed ovary.
     6 Gonal-F, Cetrotide, HcG, Crinone IUI cycles= All BFN,
    1st IVF w/ICSI- June '13 Antagonist: Gonal-F, Menopur, Ganirelix, HcG, Estradiol, Crinone= 7 retrieved, 4 mature, 1 unfertilized, 2 abnormally fertilized, 1 normally fertilized.  2DT of only embryo and our miracle BFP.
    Our beloved baby boy was born sleeping Oct. 13, 2013 due to pROM/IC/Uterine infection.
    2nd IVF w/ICSI- Feb. '14 EPP/lupron/antagonist: Estrace, lupron, HGH, Gonal-F, Menopur, HcG, PIO, lovenox, doxy/dex.=21 retrieved, 16 mature, 15 fertilized!!  5dt of 1 blast/ 6 frozen. BFP!  Beta 1 9dp5dt:83.9  Beta 2: 11dp5dt: 145.2  Beta 3  14dp5dt: 497  Please be our sticky rainbow baby!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    This is a very personal decision. I can only speak from my own experience, but acknowledge that many people feel differently and choose a different path. For me, I have told all of my immediate family (parents, grandparents, siblings & in-laws). Our family is very close and the idea of trying to keep something that has become such a big part of my life a secret would be unthinkable. It just seems exhausting and an unnecessary burden on top of what is already a very stressful situation. I am so glad we have been upfront! We didn't tell them for the first 6 months or so that we were trying and suffered through all kinds of teasing and comments about when we'd have a family... After a while it really began to sting. But after we told them what was going on, the potentially hurtful comments stopped immediately and they have been great ever since.  I am aware how lucky I am that my family is very supportive and respectful (at least about this ;-)) - they will generally listen when I need to share and not pry when I am not in the mood to share. Being honest and open and trusting our family members was the right choice for us.

*************Siggy Warning. Loss mentioned.************

Me: 36, DH:37

Married 4/2010, TTC since 7/2011

Dx: Officially Unexplained (I have Polycystic Ovaries diagnosed via ultrasound, but few classic PCOS symptoms, he has mild MF issues. So... not issue free, but nothing so severe as to explain IF)

I also deal with post-surgical Hypothyroidism following Thyroid Cancer in 2009, but under control with Levothyroxine

4 months Clomid (thinned lining) and 10 months Letrozole (every indication that I responded perfectly)

6 failed IUIs in 2013, 3 with trigger

IVF #1 in March 2014

ER 3/21/14, 31R/21F, 12 frosties!

ET 3/26/14, 1 perfect blast transferred: BFN

FET#1 5/28/14, 2 "beautiful" early blasts transferred. BFP!!

Beta #1 (6/11/14) 798; Beta #2 (6/18/14) 7,966.

1st u/s (6/25/14) showed 2 sacs, 1 empty & 1 with a beautiful little bean doing what it needs to do!

EDD 2/14/15, missed miscarriage, DX: Trisomy 21. D&C 8/1/14

FET#2 Transferred 3 embies, 2 looking pretty good, one not so much. BFN.

IVF#2 January 2015, tentative ER 1/23

• Options
    MSoupMSoup member
    i totally agree that there's not one way that is right or wrong but we decided not to tell most of our friends and family; only my best friend, my parents and sister know that we have any IF issues and we didn't tell any of them until we were about to start our first try with IVF. 

After several comments from my younger sister about how 'this is no big deal' and how her friend did ivf so she knows all about it we decided not to tell my family about this current cycle. While it is nice that they care, my sister's misdirected comments were more stressful than useful so we decided less comments and opinions might be better. it is really isolating though. 
    TTC#1 since 2012 
    Dx: PCOS
    3 rounds of clomid - no response
    1 IUI - BFN
    1st IVF - Possible ectopic 
    2nd IVF April 2014: BFP Beta 1: 493 Beta 2: 1775 

• Options
    We have only told a couple people (my father, aunt, mother-in-law, BFF, and my supervisor at work because of time off needed) A couple more know we have been TTC for a couple years so they might think something but the way I see it I did not want many people to know, the more that know the more times you have to re-hash every detail of your cycles and the more people that are super excited for you and then you have to tell them when it does't work. This whole process is a lot to take on and I just wanted to be pretty private with it (in general I'm pretty private and I tend to not share to much anyways).  Total personal decision though. 
    TTC since September 2011, w/ RE since March 13

Me: 32: PCOS, Low AMH .59
    DH: 36, Non-Obstructctive Azoospermia (unexplained)
    - SA May,13 &  June 13 no sperm, Urologist appt. July 13, Clomid Prescribed
    - October 13, PESA sperm extraction surgery, found sperm (very small amount) froze vial for backup
    - March 14, PESA + TESA, no sperm, used backup

IVF w/ ICIS #1: March 14:
    - ER 2/28: 10 eggs retrieved, 7 mature, 4 fertilized with frozen backup vial, no sperm left to freeze 
    - ET 3/3: 2 transferred, 2 frozen on 3/5
    - BFN 3/14

FET #1: 4/2
    -BFP on 4/11, 1at beta 147, 2nd beta 565, EDD 12/20/14
  • Options
    @AlaskaDee23 I was just thinking about this today. MH's brother and sister know and their spouses. Now his parents know because of big mouth sister. I have 3 good friends that know. I got kinda bummed thinking like you said we will know 10 days or so after transfer and if it does work I wanted to only know so I could tell them in some cute announcement. Now they all will know too. Oh well....

ME:46 MH:44 DE IVF 2014
    Met with RE 4/11. 2 IUI's BFN. DE best option. Switched clinics to do "shared" program. Had to retake all tests and a mamm that put me behind and then on a DE waiting list for 12 months. Picked a donor!! (10/13/13) Got matched. Estimated transfer in December. After 2.5 years of patiently waiting I will finally cycle....can hardly believe it. DE cycle got cancelled. One of her tests came back positive.  Waiting for another donor. Donor picked!! (1/18/14)

DE IVF #1 (4/26) BFN  DE FET #1 (6/4) BFP! Beta 1=339 Beta 2=852 Beta 3=9957 EDD 2/22/15!!

imageimage 
         image   imageimage

• Options
    The only people that know when Im actively cycling is my boss, and 2 of my best girlfriends. Most of my immediate family know we have trouble trying to conceive (parents/siblings), but have no idea that we go through IVF or treatments. Majority of our friends and family just think we are taking our time. Every now and again I open up to someone about IF in general, but not many people know. 

I like my privacy... and I have had some very bad instances when people have sort of thrown IF in my face as a way of negating an opinion Ive had about things. Ive gotten ignorant comments, and Ive heard people say mean things about others that are open about IF. So I choose to keep it to myself. 

Even on a small scale from my girlfriends they dont always know what to say or how to react to treatments and procedures, especially the CPs... so I'd rather not have to deal with too many people knowing. And I really want to surprise my mom with the "im pregnant" announcement, and have it be a total shock to her. So thats my main reason for keeping my family in the dark. That and the fact that as much as I love her, the woman cant hold water. lol  Everybody would know everything before I could blink. 
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Waited a long time, tried a lot of stuff, science made me a mom.
     Loss and IF veteran. Current mom of DS 5.5, DD 2, and sometimes DH 40. Due June 2021 with TWINS
  • Options
    I told the people who I figured would need to eventually know if things didn't work or those who would need to know due to work schedule.  So my bosses, my close friend at work, my mom, and my best friend...although I kind of regret telling my best friend b/c while she is very supportive, she is pregnant and would want daily updates.  We don't live in the same city so I let her know that for next time we try IVF I may want privacy, which she understood.  A lot of other people know we are doing IVF, but don't know anything about the schedule - just that we were planning on trying in the spring/summer.

Me 33, DH 37 -- TTC since Jan'12 -- Low AMH (0.78) & endo, SA w/ low motility
    IUI's 1-3 = BFN, IVF converted to IUI 4/13 = BFN
    IVF 1.2: 8R 6M 4F -- 2 blastocysts frozen, FET 8/15 = BFP!!
    Beta #s = 445;1,098; 9,545  -- EDD 5/2 -- Team Pink!
    Camila Josephine arrived 4/30 :)
  • Options
    We are very open about everything but I avoid telling everyone the details of our timeline for exactly the reasons PP have mentioned.  I am sure to tell people that "no news is bad news" with the expectation that they will not ask me how every procedure is going.  
    ----
    *I am no longer regularly posting on TB because of the fucked up debacle of Jan 2015 when administrators banned long-term members and mods with no notice and completely dismantled a community full of women who cared about each other.  If you see me posting it's only to give support to a poster who needs it or to post something important enough that I need to say.  I am no longer responding to  anything other than issues that affect people who I care about*
    37 years old, MH is 42
    TTC since 2010; Dx Unexplained Infertility; possible male factor 
    August 2012 through June 2013:  6 IUIs with clomid and trigger shot, all BFNs
    7/2013, Pregnant! Unmedicated--we were on a treatment break
    8/20/13 no heart beat; 8/23/13 d&c
    3/15/14 IVF #1:  Lupron/Follistim/Menopur; ER 3/10 resulting in four transfer grade blastocysts, transferred one pretty blast and froze the remaining three. BFN. 
    Natural FET in May cancelled because the universe hates me my hormones were not cooperating.
    6/24/14 FET #1: transferred two pretty embryos; BFN   
    8/28/14 FET #2: BFP, ended in Chemical pregnancy

Done with medical intervention and getting used to the idea of CFNBC.  

All welcome
  • Options
    My husband and I have only told a few people what we went through/are going through with infertility.  I dont think there is a right or wrong choice here, just a personal decision and what you are most comfortable with.  For me, I could not take the questions, etc. that came with infertility cycles.  So I just avoided it by not telling anyone.  Also, my friends and family are super super fertile - they have no idea what any of this is, nor would they understand or take the time to understand.  I could see us getting a lot of negative responses if we let the cat out of the bag.  However, many people have more support and would like that support during infertility treatments.  A lot of PPs have already said that they told people but didnt necessarily divulge details on timelines, which I think takes a lot of pressure off.  
  • Options
    KT416KT416 member
    No one knows we are even trying. We will be starting IVF soon, and we haven't decided yet if we will tell anyone or talked about it yet). I think I am going to take my husbands lead and see what he is comfortable with.

Me: 29, DH: 30

Married: April, 2011; TTC: July, 2012

Dx: MFI; June '14 IVF w/ ICSI: 11R, 8M, 5F... 1 5dt, beta #1: 213, beta #2: 621, beta #3: 8545!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    For my first 3 cycles, I only told my best friend and someone at work.  I started taking the injections at work, and I was afraid I would have a reaction, and noone would know :)  I felt as though I didn't want to have to answer constant questions about the process and such.  I also didn't want weeks of well, are you pregnant???  Especially if (and when) it was a BFN.  Then to follow is all the things people say to make you feel better...

It was easier to keep it private.

Pj
    *~*Signature Warning*~*
    Me: 35 Healthy
     DH: 44 vasectomy with failed reversal. 
    IVF #1: Follistim/Ganirelix: 10 retrieved, 4 perfect embies. 2 transferred, 2 frosties = BFN
     IVF #2: Follistim/Ganirelix: 11 retrieved, 1 perfect embie transferred = BFP Willow 4/14/11 
    FET #1: 2 frosties, neither survived the thaw
     IVF #3 Bravelle/Menopur/Ganirelix 4 retrieved, 1 perfect embie transferred = BFN 
    IVF #4 Microdose Lupron/Bravelle/Menopur: 8 retrieved, 6 fertilized, 2 transferred, 2 Frozen: Beta 1: 63, #2: 51, #3:148 #4: 537 #5 2204.  US #1: very small gestational sac.  US#2: Empty sac 

• Options
    For us this time around, literally less than 5 ppl know. I just grow weary of all the questions, and 95 percent of ppl have NO CLUE what ivf entails, and they kill with the questions. For me, no thanks. We are keeping it as quiet as possible just because of that.
    On 10/23/13 Baby Sophie and Baby Gabriel born at 21+5 weeks. They grew wings and flew away from us. May God bless them always. We love you beans!
    Phoebe Jaslene born at 19w3d. We love you beba! Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Options
    I have been struggling with this in a major way!   DH and I are pretty open with our families with everything,  although if we start IVF  I don't want to tell everyone....  I want it to be a surprise for someone darn it!   At least if/when we become pregnant,  I want to experience the surprise of telling family.   At least one thing could not involve spreadsheets, payment plans, and calculations! 

I have a good friend that I told, and I totally regret it.   So many insensitive comments,  I am not sure our friendship will survive,  and we are talking 15 years of friendship and they introduced my husband and I.    In retrospect,  I wish I had kept it more private in terms of friendships. 

I think overall it is just a personal decision.   My only advise is that you cannot "untell"  someone once they know.... so I would take it slow to try and avoid being overwhelmed by all of the support! 

Good luck!

image"">
    TTC since 2012
    Me 35, DH 32 -DH SA all clear
    8/97 severe perotinitis infection as a result of ruptured appendix. poss abdomen/tube scarring
    1/12 HSG all clear!
    2/12 Multiple fibroids diagnosed,  2 submucosal
    3/14 Hashimoto diagnosed, began treatment
    3/14 first RE appointment
    5/14 successful lapriscopic myomectomy via power morcellation
    as of 7/14.....not so patiently waiting
    poss IUI/IVF fall 2014
      BIG Surprise BFP Aug 2014!

• Options
    1st IVF Cycle was kept completely private.

For our 2nd ivf cycle we have opened up to our family and friends.

They each had their benefits...such as privacy, no questions, etc.

Now that everyone knows...the MIL was upset we didn't tell them 1st and started all this unnecessary drama...then she asked 20,000 questions, posted stuff on Facebook--finally, I told her to stop, that if she had any questions to search ivf procedures online and to let us have our privacy since there was a chance it won work again (not to be negative about it just realistic).
    Other then that most have been very supportive!
  • Options
    I've only told my Mom. Since we don't plan on starting the process til summer, I'm thinking about not talking about it to anyone so that it won't be so stressful having to answer questions about it. I may not talk about it again to my mom, unless she asks (which she probably won't, she have given me space and privacy during my IF journey, she lets me open up to her about what's going on, which I like). I'm hoping when we do finally get a bfp, and after the first tri, I may tell people what we went through, or after birth. I'm rambling...
    **All welcome**
     Me: 33 Hypothyroid, HBP, Low Vit D Anemic, Stage 2 Adrenal failure. Unexplained Infertility
    DH: 33 Cancer survivor 
    Married Dec. 2007
    10/2013 Clomid, bfn
    10/2013 HSG, all clear
    11/2013 Clomid, bfn. Cyst burst.
    IUI #1 - 12/31/2013  Femara, Ovidrel - BFN.
    IUI #2 - 1/31/2014 Femara, Ovidrel - BFN.
    IUI #3 - 2/22/2014 Femara, Ovidrel - BFN.
    IUI #4 - 3/24/2014 Femara, Ovidrel - BFN
    IVF Summer 2014 -Cancelled!
    Natural BFP 5/28! Beta: 545.
    1st ultrasound 6/18 - one bean!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    dp21dp21 member
    We have been open with close family and friends about our IVF process.  They know not to ask any questions and wait for the updates.  It is nice getting emails, phone calls of support after the updates.  My updates usually include what we are doing and I send pictures of our meds/needles/procedures/calendars via email to group of close people so they can get a sense of what we are actually going through.  I told them when our pregnancy test will be and asked that they not bring it up unless we do, because it may be a very sad or happy day for us.  My manager at work has been great, said to let me know what she can do to make my work schedule better.  It has been a positive experience for us thus far.

Me:
    30, DH: 32
    My hx:  uterus/hormones normal Dx: low AMH 0.5 = poor ovarian reserve
    hubby hx: low sperm count, poor motility, started on clomid, retest in May showed no improvement, will be on clomid another 3 months, another retest scheduled for August

Started IVF #1:  ~BFP Mentioned~
    • ER (Thursday April 17th, 3 precious eggs).
    • April 18th: Received news 2 out of 3 eggs fertilized!
    •  Planned 3dt: Easter day, transferred two 8B embryos and received pictures :)
    • BFP starting 8dp3dt 5/1 Beta #1: 87, 5/3 Beta #2 206 
    • 5/19 Heartbeat 123bpm
    • EDD 1/8/15

• Options
    We have told our parents and some of my very close friends, but that's it. DH is worried about people being not supportive of our decision to go through IVF...I think he's wrong.  But I'd rather wait until we are pregnant with a known healthy baby and tell them that we were pregnant. If they ask the how's< I think we'd both be more open to it then.
    ****Signature warning Losses Mentioned****

BFP#1 07/01/2004 ~ EDD 03/10/2005 ~ 
    D&C 8/1/2004 @ 5w5d
    BFP#2 12/27/10 ~ EDD 9/06/2011 ~ DS born 08/14/11 via c-section, passed away 10/17/11
    BFP#3 09/07/12 ~ EDD 5/09/2013 ~ DS born 01/30/13 survived for 2 hrs
    08/06/14 Waiting for 1st IVF cycle to begin

IVF#1: started stims 9/15; trigger 9/24; ET 9/26-5R 5M, 5F. 3 biopsied for PGD

image           image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"