Parenting after 35
Options

Side dish ideas

Ok since Easter is quickly approaching I thought I would ask for some help with side dishes.  We are having my inlaws, my BIL and my husband's grandmother over for dinner (6 adults total).  We earned a free spiral ham through our grocery store so we are having that but am sick of serving the same things over and over again.  Any suggestions? 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Side dish ideas

• Options
    I like twice baked potato casserole because bacon and cheese!  And green bean casserole.  You can really never go wrong with green bean casserole!  And if you want a salad, 7 layer salad is always a hit with my family, again, bacon!
  • Options
    Broccoli rice casserole! Or, a healthier alternative, asparagus is in season. Love roasted asparagus.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Thanks ladies!!!  Ok MWhipple- you had me at cheese and bacon LOL if you have a recipe you could link or a site to send me to I would appreciate learning more about said twice baked potatoe casserole.  Mommyatty- That is also a great idea about the broccoli.  I too love asparagus but we just got finished eating a big bag of it from Costco so I am asparagus-ed out but I do love it :)

Hijoi- I tried making au gratin potatoes once and it was a soupy mess :( I am all about simple too.  Especially since it is such a small crowd

Thanks again!

• Options
    I'm taking some sides to my IL's -  a strawberry and mandarin salad with cashews and strawberry/apple cider vinegarette and asparagus with bacon. Scalloped potatoes are so yummy with ham! I'll see if I can find a recipe similar to the cheater ones I make. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Proud Mom to the ZooCrew - Jack 3 years old and Joey 21 months. 
    Excited and delighted to welcome the 3rd member of the ZooCrew in 2015! We can't wait to meet you Matthew Henry!
  • Options

Probably making these scalloped potatoes...I made them new year's eve and they were wonderful!

https://www.spendwithpennies.com/easy-cheesy-scalloped-potatoes-and-the-secret-to-getting-them-to-cook-quickly/

Probably green bean casserole and sweet potatoes because my husband loves them.  Maybe some glazed carrots.

I try to go different with appetizers because my family tends to gravitate toward the standard side dishes at dinner time.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Here's a simple twice baked potato casserole recipe.  I always add more of the good stuff that I like (an entire package of bacon).  https://allrecipes.com/recipe/twice-baked-potato-casserole-with-bacon/

I have another recipe at home that is more of a mashed potato cheesy bacon gooey mess that I can send later.  The above one is a little easier, so it depends on how much time you want to spend.

Now I'm hungry for too many carbs this early in the morning!  
  • Options
    Thanks Whipple :)  and June bug :)  both look so yummy.  I'm gonna need a girdle lol

• Options
    @Geeps2 I found my two favorite potato recipes.  Hope one of the three is a hit this weekend for you!

Julie's Potato Casserole
    1 sack shredded hash browns
    1 c sour cream, heaping
    1 c french onion dip, heaping
    1 can cream of chicken soup
    1 c velveeta cheese
    3 c corn flakes, smashed
    1/2 c butter
    Heat all ingredients (except hash browns) until melted.  Pour hash browns into a 9x13 pan.  Melt 1/4 c butter over hash browns.  Mix in melted cheese mixture.  Mix 1/4 c melted butter with 3c smashed corn flakes.  Spread over top of potatoes and bake at 350 for 45 minutes.

Elegant Scalloped Potatoes
    8 lg baking potatoes
    6T butter or margarine
    6T all purpose flour
    1 to 2 t garlic powder
    1/2 t salt
    1/2 t pepper
    3 1/2 c milk
    12oz Velveeta, cubed
    1/3 c crumbled cooked bacon
    1 c shredded cheddar cheese
    1/4 c sliced green onions
    Scrub and pierce potatoes; place on a microwave safe plate.  Microwave on high for 15-20 minutes or until tender.  Cool slightly. In a saucepan, melt the butter.  Stir in flour, garlic powder, salt and pepper until smooth; gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.  Add the velveeta and bacon, stir until cheese is melted.  Remove from heat; set aside.  Cut the potatoes into 1/4" slices, place a third of the slices in a greased 13x9x2 banking dish; top with 1/3 of the cheese sauce.  Repeat layers twice.  Sprinkle with cheddar cheese and onions.  Bake, uncovered, at 350 for 15 minutes or until cheese is melted.
  • Options

Decisions, decisions!!!  Now I'm hungry for potatoes lol Thanks again

• Options
    I came up with a really simple salad that I love. Start with baby spinach. Add fresh cut strawberries and kiwis. Add Newman's Own Ginger Sesame dressing and sprinkle with flax seeds. It's so good!
    Me:41, DH:41 Positive for MTHFR mutations- one copy C677T, one copy A1298C. One daughter born on Thanksgiving in 2013. Six losses.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"