Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Potty training - little potty or seat for big potty?

I have been against getting a little mini potty because I don't see the point of needing to clean them out and then having to transition to using the regular potty.  BUT I can't get my 2 1/2 (3 in August) to use the big potty so I'm wondering if it would help to try the smaller one or if I should just wait a bit and not push it right now.  He is zero interested in potty training right now but he is very verbal and tells me when he needs to be changed. 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Potty training - little potty or seat for big potty?

• Options
    edited April 2014
    We have both (we actually have three - we also have a portable potty for the diaper bag that can be used as a stand alone potty or a ring for a regular seat). DD and DS were both more likely to use the little potty than the potty ring. Plus, I like how portable the little potty is around the house during the early stages of potty training. The regular potty ring was a waste because it was never used by either child.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My son uses the regular potty. We had to get a new toilet seat, and we got one that has a child sized seat that folds down. It's hard to explain, but it has a magnet that holds it in place within the regular seat. He stands up to pee anyway, so we just got him a stool and he steps right up.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I prefer to use the inserts for the big toilet. 1. Pottying stays in the bathroom. 2. I don't have to clean it. 3. It seems easier to transition to me. 

I did use the little potty for a short period of time in DD1's bedroom so that she could pee in there in the middle of the night or nap emergency. DD2 isn't there yet, so we haven't tried that yet. 
    All of this
  • Options
    I'm firmly against mini potties because as I see it, we're trying to get away from cleaning up poop, so what's the point of the mini one?  Plus, I don't like to add unnecessary transitions to DD's life.  OP, if your LO has no interest in potty training right now, probably just take it easy until he's ready.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My son uses the regular potty. We had to get a new toilet seat, and we got one that has a child sized seat that folds down. It's hard to explain, but it has a magnet that holds it in place within the regular seat.
    We have this and it is awesome. We found ours at Home Depot.

We also have a little potty, since it was much easier initially to convince DD to sit on it than on the regular toilet. She is fine with sitting on either now.
  • Options
    MisNMisN member
    Initially we used the small potty as it was better for DDs comfort level. Now she is fully potty trained but can't get on and off the big toilet herself (even with a step stool and potty seat). So I still keep a little potty in each bathroom so she can pee independently. For poops, I have her call me to help her on the toilet so I don't have to clean a poopy potty.
  • Options
    MisN said:
    Initially we used the small potty as it was better for DDs comfort level. Now she is fully potty trained but can't get on and off the big toilet herself (even with a step stool and potty seat). So I still keep a little potty in each bathroom so she can pee independently. For poops, I have her call me to help her on the toilet so I don't have to clean a poopy potty.
    All of this. That was the reasoning behind having the little potty. She can get on the big potty now, but when she couldn't, it made it easier when I didn't have to be there every time she peed.

• Options
    We started DD on the big potty, just because we hadn't had time to go out and buy her a potty chair. Now we also have a regular potty chair, the small toilet ring that is attached to the toilet seat, and the ring/travel potty that stays in the car.  I like having different options for her to use, and we use all three options at different times.  In the beginning, we used the potty chair more, especially if she REALLY needed to go and someone else was already using the big potty, it also went with her to her grandmas house.  Now that she just turned two, she sometimes like to use the small potty chair to assert her independence - since she can use it all on her own.  BUT...we have a rule - no poo poo in the small potty!  I definitely don't want to be cleaning that up.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    IMO, both.

• Options
    We used a stool and toilet seat that was already attached to the regular seat. It makes the opening smaller and not so scary. It is magnetic and fits into a groove in the lid. I think we got it at Home Depot. I loved it because our little one felt more secure and I had no little potty to clean. It helped when she had to use the restroom away from home because the big potty wasn't so scary anymore.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"