October 2012 Moms

Childcare at a wedding

I'm going to a wedding next month and I got an extra little piece of paper in my invitation that says childcare will be provided for young children during the ceremony. So I take it that littles are really not wanted in the ceremony at all? And how do you respond to the RSVP? We'll need the space for four but we won't need four plates. This is the first wedding I've gone to since becoming a mom and didn't know what to do. Would you use the childcare or leave your kids at home?

Re: Childcare at a wedding

• People planning a wedding often have the very best intentions, but if they don't have children, they don't know what is needed for "childcare". So yes, phone and discuss.

I am so embarrassed about how we handled the issue of children at our wedding, simply because we didn't know any better.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks guys, @LorMor, I also think about things that I said/did that were silly before becoming a mom, but there's no way we could have known! Well now I want to know what you did with your wedding! It can't be worse than some of the things I've done!

• It wasn't actually too bad (I think). We were just really vague on the invitation - assuming that people wouldn't want to bring their children, but saying it's okay for them to come if they don't have babysitting options.

Then, when we realised the people with difficult children wanted to bring them, we said no children. A couple of people made private arrangements with us when their babysitters fell through/ their kid was too young for a babysitter/ whatever, and that was fine. But then I felt bad about the people we'd said "No children" to - who saw that there were three children there.

And, it was a daytime wedding. A friend (who we didn't know when we got married) just commented recently about her cousin's wedding: "Who says No Children to a daytime wedding?" Oops.

Other things I was thinking of - people who arranged childcare, but assumed everyone would be okay with using babysitters they'd never met, and assuming that all kids/babies are fine as long as there are babysitters around!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • AMT1107AMT1107 member
    edited April 2014
    I agree with the above call, but if you can get child care on your own, it would be a great time for you and you H to do something alone.

I'm all for going to weddings alone, DS is very "needy" (yes, he's a baby) I know I would not enjoy myself with him there.  I'd be more worried what he was getting into and wouldn't be much fun to hold a conversation with.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"