Parenting after a Loss

Is there a 2 year sleep regression or something?

MickeyM04MickeyM04 member
edited April 2014 in Parenting after a Loss

DS has been a fabulous sleeper since he was about 6 months old (let's not talk about before that).  We moved him to his toddler bed about 2 weeks ago, and it went swimmingly.  When he wakes up, he waits in bed for us until we go in there, and he stays in bed after we put him down at night.  It's kind of weird how good he is about it -- BUT I AM NOT COMPLAINING, I AM JUST OBSERVING THAT IT'S CRAZY! 

So anyway, two nights ago we had a horrible night.  He woke up at about a quarter to 1:00 crying.  I always give him a few minutes to work it out but this time he would not settle down.  So I went in and sat with him for a minute until he calmed down, and then left.  Well, he started crying again, but I was not about to play the in and out game all night, so I stayed put in my room.  Well for an hour, on and off, he would cry for a minute, then stop, then cry, then stop.  Literally an hour.  Finally I was like, I can't sleep like this, I may as well go back in there.  So I hauled my 8 month pregnant butt in there and climbed into this little toddler bed and was like, OK buddy, let's go to sleep.  Well of course now he's awake and he's poking my face and playing with the blankets and not going to sleep.  So we were up until 4:00 and then I ducked out and went back to bed.  So last night he slept much better, but then he woke up for the day at 4:50!  I am not sure what happened to my fall asleep 2 minutes after going to bed, and sleeping til 6:30 baby.  I know it's only two nights, but I'm wondering if I should be mentally preparing myself for this to be lasting for awhile. 

Normally I would wonder if it was the toddler bed, but would it really take 2 weeks for him to start having a problem with it?  Also, he never once got out of the bed either night, it was just a matter of him either crying during the night (random) or waking up at the crack of dawn (also random).

(Edited for clarity)

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
Lilypie First Birthday tickers 

BFP #1 6/28/11 ~ EDD 3/7/12 ~ m/c 7/15/11 at 6w2d
BFP #2 8/29/11 ~ EDD 5/12/12. 4/25/12: Our take home baby is here!
 BFP #3 8/27/13 ~ EDD 5/11/14.  4/27/14:  Our second take home baby is here!

Re: Is there a 2 year sleep regression or something?

• With my experience, it comes and goes in waves. My 3YO had a few week stint of waking in the night as well. I don't know if it's quite over yet either. Your son might possibly be having some nightmares or also backsliding as you mentioned. I hate that we can never be 100% sure. Anyway, that's just my experience with it. I'm sorry it's been a rough go! I hear that someday we will get to sleep again. I'm guessing 20 years  ;)
    imageimage

EDD 1/31/13, MC May 17. EDD 3/31/13, MC July 26. I miss you so much already my angel loves

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks ladies, last night was actually okay with the exception of a brief wake-up (that did not require any intervention from DH or me) at about 4:30.  So hopefully just a bit of a fluke.  Not that I should get used to sleeping well....I have a feeling that is all going to change in a few weeks anyway ;)
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers 

BFP #1 6/28/11 ~ EDD 3/7/12 ~ m/c 7/15/11 at 6w2d
    BFP #2 8/29/11 ~ EDD 5/12/12. 4/25/12: Our take home baby is here!
     BFP #3 8/27/13 ~ EDD 5/11/14.  4/27/14:  Our second take home baby is here!

• Loading the player...
  • It seems to be in waves. We did good at first with the toddler bed, but then had a month of bedtime mayhem. He would cry and cry all night, as well as get out of his bed. Now it's better, but he still has his nights. He has been having night terrors on occasion since before DS2 was born last spring so that could be an issue as well.

I guess it was payback since he STTN at 6 weeks.
    TTC January 2010
    BFP #1 10-11-10 ectopic discovered 10-22-10, 10-23-10 methotrexate & emergency surgery, lost right tube BFP #2 12-1-10 Found to be tissue dropped from salingectomy or missed heterotopic pregnancy from BFP #1 BFP #3 1-30-11 DS arrived on due date 10-10-11 BFP #4 Surprise 9-3-12 EDD 5-9-13 DS2 arrived 5-5-13 BFP #5 5-14-14 Emergency D&C 6-16-14 9 weeks
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"