2nd Trimester

Struggling...

I know this sounds stupid but I'm currently struggling with the weight gain. My first tri all I wanted was bad food, I didn't work out because I was throwing up all the time ... I gained a lot of weight the first tri... To put it into perspective prior to this baby I was 125 an active weight trainer and half marathon runner (training for a full one in the process) .... I now notice the weight gain... I have anxiety already prior to pregnancy and it's just gotten worse ... I try not to use the scale when I go to the gym, I myself feel like a piece of shit, I feel huge, I just look unappealing. I know this is so self centered and rude to be saying because I know I'm carrying a human being that's a gift from god but it's so hard . Anyone else struggling with this .... My fiancé says I'm still beautiful but it's my own perspective I value

Re: Struggling...

• sweetheart...first off take a deep breath and relax for a min. we def don’t want you to stress out. I would agree with the other ladies in speaking with your OB on how to "safely" gain and maintain a healthy pregnancy diet and exercise routine. believe me i use to weigh a good healthy weight due to the fact that i was a competitive cheerleader my first pregnancy. But this is my third...and had a similar break down just like your having about a month ago. my doctor gave me some tips and i researched online some good diet tips too. and it worked...maintained about a good 3-5lb weight gain for the past 2 weeks..hopefully no more than 10lb for the entire pregnancy. But definitely talk with your dr asap<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

MUCH LOVE AND GOOD LUCK MY DEAR! <3

Lilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

imageimageimageimageimage imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Before I got pregnant, I lost 80lbs... through diet and exercising. I got pregnant and my diet went out the window, so to speak. I couldn't eat much in the first trimester as well...and what I could eat was mostly toast, crackers, and some junk stuff... now I'm my second trimester I'm finally able to eat veggies again! Granted some days I still can't.
    I have gained weight. About 10lbs or so. I haven't really been paying attention to the numbers. I told my Dr it's a touchy subject for me. And he has been amazing. Just tells me what I need to know. Ie baby is doing well. Weight gain is to be expected... just stuff like that.
    My DH knows that some days I just feel fat and all blah... but he encourages me and constantly says... you are carrying a baby. I just have to remind myself that any weight gain during pregnancy is normal. It is hard to not allow it to bother you. But just remember once the baby is born, it will be worth it. At least that's what I tell myself and it helps me to accept whatever weight gain I have.
    Hope for a Healthy and happy pregnancy to you!
  • Idani said:
    May I suggest having your OB refer you to a dietician or other professional? It sounds like you have some weight an body image issues and its hard for people who don't struggle with it to have good advice.
    So absolutely true.  I, in fact, have struggled with body image issues in the past and when my husband and I decided we wanted to start trying, I was worried that my fear of gaining weight would put my baby at risk.  I completely understand where your anxiety may be coming from and I can only share what has worked for me:

I carry affirmations in my wallet and read them when I start to feel down or anxious.  Some surround pregnancy, like "As the motherhood chapter of my life begins, I am ready to make it a beautiful chapter of my life."  Some surround my health, like "Every day in every way I'm getting healthier and healthier and feeling better and better."  Probably sounds very corny to most, but it has truly worked for me.  I'm embracing my pregnant body more than I thought I would.

Easy to say, of course, but try to remember how incredible pregnancy is.  While no one can make you feel beautiful, you certainly are!  Give yourself a break and try to enjoy the remainder of this precious time.
  • Thank you for the wonderful ideas and kind words ! I am definalety speaking to my ob on my upcoming visit !
  • A lot of women go through this during pregnancy. With DD (18 months) a gained a lot during the first half of my pregnancy and my OB was all over me which stressed me out because I wasn't eating anything crazy or anything really different from pre-pregnancy so I didn't know what to do. I learned, because it happened with this pregnancy too that that's just how my body reacts and I eat what my body wants while trying to keep a healthy mix in my daily diet. I did have to put the scale away last month though because I was becoming obsessed and it was upsetting me. Since I put it away I'm still conscious of what I'm eating and whether or not it's going to impact my weight, but I just try to eat til I'm full and not past that, only drink water except when I need a little boost, and make sure fruits and vegetables are daily. If you're doing that then the weight you're gaining is needed by your body and you'll be fine afterward. You were very active before and you will be active again, just give yourself a break since you've been so sick.
  • I have always struggled with body issues, so I know how you feel. Even though I'm so excited to be pregnant and I know that weight gain is completely normal sometimes I look in the mirror and think "ugh." Like you I had horrible first tri morning sickness and wasn't able to work out nearly as much as normal (there were weeks at a time I did nothing gym related), I had food aversions to most things I normally enjoyed, and all I wanted to eat were lots and lots of bland pastas, breads, carbs, carbs, carbs. While I did loose a little weight at the beginning, it's coming back, and it is hard to see that transition.

I think it's important to keep in mind that, like you said, you are doing an amazing thing and growing a human. That comes along with a lot of changes! If you start feeling better, just go for a walk. Eventually get back into easy workouts just to keep your momentum and sense of normalcy going. Your cravings and aversions will change so much. When you can, snack on healthy foods and pay attention to your portions. It's hard but you can overcome cravings for certain things and feed yourself good, wholesome foods! Don't feel bad for munching on ice-cream here and there, though. :)

Like others have recommended, definitely talk to your doctor or perhaps even a dietician. A dietician can help you create meal plans that are healthy for you and growing baby and work towards a healthy weight gain. Our bodies are changing so much so quickly, but don't worry! If you were active and healthy before, a few months of slow down isn't going to be the end of that lifestyle if you don't let it!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @GlitterMuffin914 - are you still running ? I've slowed down a lot - both distance and pace - but it makes a big difference in my mental health and self image. I'm struggling with this too (was running 50mpw before pg and at a good healthy weight) but I find that maintaining a running routine REALLY helps. gl!

• You should still be able to do a slow run/jog without any problem! You can also alter your fitness routine. I've spent more time on the elliptical in our gym because it forces me to keep a better steady pace, and i'm not dealing with the irregularities of whatever running path. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Please don't beat yourself up.  I have always struggled with body image and just recently got back to my pre-baby weight with number one.  I feel gross and huge too (22wks 14-15# gain) and for a bit I was really upset about.  Reading about how some people haven't gained etc... but just remember that we don't all start out the same size, so weight gain that is "normal" is totally different for everyone.
    If your OB thinks everything is fine, then you need to trust him/her and try to be as comfortable with it as you can.  Good luck.
  • I was not happy with my body before my first pregnancy, and then I gained 42 pounds.  After that, I finally focused on my health and before this pregnancy was very happy with my weight.  I find that I, too, am going through a bit of anxiety about weight gain.  I feel incredible at 25 weeks, and just keep telling myself that is all that matters, not any number on a scale.  If you cannot convince yourself of that, I agree with seeking out a dietician or someone who can help you to make sure that your baby is well taken care of as you adjust and try to accept the changes in your body! Good luck!
  • I gained about 15-20lbs. not too long before I got pregnant - stress from losing my job, losing my dear dog, and the holidays. Starting off on the heavier side has made the added pregnancy weight hard for me. I actually surprised by how the added weight has bothered me. 

Talked to my doctor and learned that I have gained a little too much weight for being 21 weeks so I'm getting more focused on maintaining my weight better. I'm about 2.5lbs. over where I need to be. 

I tried on several dresses today that I thought for sure they would fit me and when they didn't, I had a minor meltdown. Talked to my hubby and he just said everything is okay and get some maternity clothes that make me feel good. I feel your pain though... a bit hard on the self-image side of things.
  • I know the feeling. I am in the same boat- and have been 4 other times. Each pregnancy I gained 70lbs while still 'trying' to eat healthy. The first trimester always killed me because the only thing that made me feel better was eating. Then I just continued on during the second trimester. The weight came off rather easily though. 6 months at the most. And with my first, I lost 50 of the 70lbs in 8 weeks. I would try not to obsess over it and know that you are motivated and fit and as soon as this is over you will get yourself back again. Some people just put on a lot of weight when pregnant- and most of the people I know who do are the healthy active ones.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"