Working Moms

Dumb Question

Ok, not working mom related, but..... Does anyone have ANY advice for how I can get my 22 month old son to stop picking his nose AND eating it? Yep so unbelievably gross.

Right now, I just say icky and if I'm within arms reach I will gently push his finger out of his nose. I'm going to guess there isn't a magic solution, but I'm coming here in desperation. Especially because he has allergies and his new favorite thing is to tell me 'booger' while pointing to his nose (which is adorable unlike the picking). Help!

DD Nov 2010 ~ DS June 2012

Re: Dumb Question

• jlaOKjlaOK member
    Have you tried to be completely over the top about how yucky it is (which isn't far of a stretch)? Sometimes DS responds better to things that we over exaggerate.  I think it helps him remember if we make a HUGE deal about it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

View Full Size Image

•  Not recommending this, but in our case, LO had to get a series of bloody noses which I showed him in the mirror, before he finally stopped.
  • Loading the player...
  • I am so thankful that neither of my children (so far) has been a nose picker. I find ignoring is best with most annoying habits.
    DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • Thanks everyone stupid bump wouldn't let me post earlier.

Hmm. I agree that normally I am in the ignore it camp, because as #2, he definitely feeds on the attention. My only concern is that he isn't doing it for attention. I guess I can try ignoring it, hopefully he grows out of it...yuck.

DD Nov 2010 ~ DS June 2012
  • groovygrlgroovygrl member
    edited April 2014
    The icky factor doesn't work with my Ds", it becomes a habit and they don't realize they're doing it. I suspect Ds will get a nasty comment from another kid one of these days and that will be what stops it but a year or so ago he had the really bad habit of sticking both fingers up there simultaneously, like all the time. It was often when he was distracted like watching tv or reading and I finally put mitten son him at night between dinner and bed. Weirdly he didn't take them off, it was like he wanted to stop and didn't know how. The double nostril thing stopped after that but general picking still goes on....maybe I should revisit the mittens
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"