Natural Birth

Hypnobirthing/hypnobabies questions

Hi guys, 
I'm reading the hypnobirthing book right now and so far I love it! I've already found it incredibly helpful and informative. My question is do any of you recommend taking the classes as well or buying the hypnobabies study books to do in addition? We don't have anyone near us that offers the classes unless I drive about an hour and a half away (which I would do if I felt I needed to) and the hypnobabies books are very pricey and I'm worried they won't give me any further information than what I'm already getting from the hypnobirthing book. What do you guys recommend? I am going to download a bunch of relaxation tracks from my midwife so I will have a bunch to listen to.
Married my best friend 03/21/09, TTC since December 2012
BFP#1 04/04/13,  EDD 12/16/13

Lost our little boy on 07/26/13 at 18 weeks to UPD4 
BFP#2 11/18/13, EDD 07/26/14 (One year to the date of the loss of our baby!). Grow, baby, grow!

Re: Hypnobirthing/hypnobabies questions

• I can only speak for myself, but I found the Hypnobirth classes to be so helpful and informative.  The book didn't really resonate with me, but the instructor's lessons made so much sense.  Having someone walk me through the relaxation/hypnosis techniques and show me how to do the deep breathing was really worth it.
    Married July 3, 2009 | Furbaby Trevor July 15, 2009 | Furbaby Darcy May 15, 2010 | BFP August 14, 2012 | DD April 18, 2013
  • I read the Hypnobirthing book and loved it... had our first class last week and the instructor has yet to say anything I don't already know from the book, natural birth blogs, and my prenatal yoga instructor.  Obviously it was just the first class, so I'm really hoping the next 4 are more informative/ helpful.  I feel pretty confident already from just reading the book and practicing with the tracks for the past 2 months on my own in addition to the research I have done on my own.  The biggest benefit I see coming from the class at this point is that it really integrates the husband and helps teach them what is going on/ what to expect.  
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks hollyfp! That's kind of the info I was wondering about... if the class just reiterates the book or not. Sometimes the more over prepared I am the more it works against me so that's why I'm really trying to decide.

Married my best friend 03/21/09, TTC since December 2012
    BFP#1 04/04/13,  EDD 12/16/13

Lost our little boy on 07/26/13 at 18 weeks to UPD4 
    BFP#2 11/18/13, EDD 07/26/14 (One year to the date of the loss of our baby!). Grow, baby, grow!
  • I read the book about 2 months before we did the class.  I think doing hypnobirthing with just the book is definitely possible- just make sure you buy the separate Rainbow Relaxation CD which does not come with the book.  Hypnobabies is actually pretty different (per our course instructor), so I wouldn't necessarily combine the two.
  • I would pick one or the other.  Hypnobirthing is not intended to be a self-study course, with only the book and Rainbow Relaxation CD the information would be incomplete.  Not saying you couldn't go med-free anyway, just saying you wouldn't be able to get everything you could get out of it.  

I may have done OK with just he book and CD, but I don't feel I would have had the calm, pain-free experience I had if I had not taken the class.  It's a great experience for your birth partner as well.  As an added bonus you might make connections there, we are still friends with the other class members we met almost 4 years ago.  
  • I am glad you asked this question! I have two children and have taken both courses. Hypnobirthing with my first, and Hypnobabies with my second. They are very different programs and while I do believe Hypnobirthing has some good elements to it, Hypnobabies far surpassed my expectations with the education, practice, and the successful outcome it provided me. My second birth was so amazing and while each birth will be different for each woman I believe that without Hypnobabies and a fantastic Doula I wouldn't have had the amazing experience I did with baby #2. Truth be told my first birth was not what I had practiced for and I feel the Hypnobirthing course fell short for me in my long first birth. Hypnobirthing teaches basic relaxation techniques and some hypnosis tools are taught to aid you in birth. I felt limited in the tools I had learned with Hypnobirthing. Hypnobabies is an all encompassing child birth class that teaches a much deeper level of hypnosis with many CD's (not just one rainbow relaxation) to build upon the practice of actual deep medical level hypnosis to make your birth comfortable and easy. So that being said, if I had another baby, I'd pay the course fee, drive many miles, and do the class all over again because it's that good! If you do not want to drive that far, Hypnobabies has a home study course available to purchase on their website and you can have an instructor meet with you for the last class session to answer any questions you have. Your birth will forever change who you are, invest in the process! Best of wishes and happy Hypnobabies!
  • I'm not sure I can add much more than vburkett but thought I might chime in. I used Hypnobabies for my birth (totally calm, confident, amazing birth - 5 minutes after pushing my dd out I told my husband I wanted to do it again!). When I decided which to use, HypnoBirthing or Hypnobabies, I went with Hypnobabies for three main reasons 1. It is complete childbirth education PLUS all the hypnosis tools (I'm a scientist and really like being fully informed) 2. It provides a more structured and thorough approach to learning hypnosis (you know exactly which tracks to do when, what to practice when, etc) and 3. It provides many more tools to use during your birthing time (since I had never given birth before, I didn't know what I would want during my birthing time and I liked the idea of having lots of "tools" in my "toolbox"). As an aside, my husband is sitting next to me and said he had a great time during our birth too, in large part because of Hypnobabies. I did the Home Study because I couldn't make the live classes - worked like a charm! I wasn't the best student (took me 10 weeks to complete a 5 week course, but then I practiced every day and listened to the tracks every day for the next 5-6 weeks until dd was born). I can't make the comparison of using one technique for one birth and one for another, but I hope sharing my thought process when making a decision is helpful.
  • As far as HypnoBirthing classes, it will depend on your instructor how different it is from the book. My instructor went off books sometimes, but still covered all the material. The most helpful thing was walking through the relaxation exercises. I don't think I would've gotten it with just the book.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"