Babies: 9 - 12 Months

Skinny babies! EBF

DS just turned 10 months and weighs in at 17.1 lbs.  The doctor, though not concerned, is keeping track of his weight gain since he still hasn't doubled his birth weight (9 lbs).  Doc says he is just fine and skinny babies are often healthier.  He is gains a little each month, but it still worries me about my milk supply! He nurses and is finished so quickly!

Maybe I'm just not used to it. Our daughter was fully formula fed and was a chunkster...
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Re: Skinny babies! EBF

• That's normal for bf babies. My DD is 22lbs at 16m, she's been hovering there since 12m.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

imageimageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • My first DS dropped down to the 25% for weight once he started cruising furniture and was 19lbs at a year. He's perfectly healthy and we had no milk supply issues. My understanding is the EBF babies can gain faster in the beginning but slow a lot more as they become mobile and add complimentary table foods. Is he growing taller, meeting developmental milestones? What growth chart is doc using? CDC or WHO? That can make a big difference....

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My son weighed 17 lb 4 oz at his 9 month appt.  And was born at 7 lb 7 oz.  He is still considered to be in the 6%.  I actually switched doctors recently because my last ped at 6 months (he weighed 15 lb 4 oz) told me he was too skinny and I needed to rethink breastfeeding.  The only thing I rethought was seeing her face ever again!  Here is a great article for you to read. 

https://drjaygordon.com/pediatricks/newborns/scales.html

• My son weighed 17 lb 4 oz at his 9 month appt.  And was born at 7 lb 7 oz.  He is still considered to be in the 6%.  I actually switched doctors recently because my last ped at 6 months (he weighed 15 lb 4 oz) told me he was too skinny and I needed to rethink breastfeeding.  The only thing I rethought was seeing her face ever again!  Here is a great article for you to read. 

https://drjaygordon.com/pediatricks/newborns/scales.html

Hahahaha!! Loved the last line :) good for u!!
  • DS was 17lb 10oz at 10 months. He has gone from 70th at 2 months to 5th at 10 months. He is EBF and eats a ton if solids. My pedi is not worried at all.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • jlpevjlpev member
    Both of my kids were bf & chunky but once they started moving they would lose some chunk. I wouldn't worry. My friends dd was & still is behind in weight. She was formula fed.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • My baby is a "skinny" baby too, EBF (plus solids).  About 18.5lbs at 10 months. If your doctor isn't worried,  you shouldn't either!

• Mine was in the 25% a week after birth. Now she's in 70% for weight. She's been around 20/21lbs for a month or so now. I agree that the growth chart curve should be your guide. Weight shouldn't be a sole determining factor in health.
    PitaPata - Personal picturePitaPata Cat tickers
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My DS was 15.15 at his 9 month appt.  He is EBF and has never been on the growth chart.  It freaks me out but his pedi seems totally fine.  He was born 100% healthy but 1 month early at 6.2
  • My older son was also EBF and plummeted to the 5th percentile at 12 months - he was around 19lbs then.  He's now almost 5 and consistently around the 25th percentile.  He's never been really interested in food (I read to him at the table to keep him eating).  I figure at this point, he'll eat if he's hungry!  So don't worry about it - your baby will be just fine!
    "You're gonna miss this You're gonna want this back You're gonna wish these days hadn't gone by so fast..."
  • My 9 month old is 16lbs 10oz. Pedi isn't concerned because she stays on her curve of the growth chart
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • My son is almost 1 year and was 27 lbs. when we weighed him last month. He is EBF and was 9 lbs., 8 oz at birth. BUT he is also super tall for his age (he's 31 inches), so I imagine that taking baby's proportions into account also makes a difference.
  • roo1ooroo1oo member
    EBFing doesn't correlate to a skinny baby. I know a lot of EBF chunksters. My baby is now FF and he's in the 15th %ile for weight. Genetics have as much to do with it as what you feed.
    image    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm so glad to hear everyone's 'don't worry' comments.  Little man is 9 months and 17.5 lbs (27" tall), he's in the 8th percentile for weight, but the pedi says he's tracking fine against himself and that's all that matters.

• roo1oo said:
    EBFing doesn't correlate to a skinny baby. I know a lot of EBF chunksters. My baby is now FF and he's in the 15th %ile for weight. Genetics have as much to do with it as what you feed.
    EBFing actually does correlate with a lower weight baby.  BF babies tend to put on weight more slowly than FF babies during their first year of life.  This is why pedis are being encouraged to use the World Health Organization Growth Charts because they use BFing as 'the norm' as opposed to the CDC Growth Charts.

Now of course you can point to Sally Sue down the street who was FF and at the bottom of the charts and Peggy Anne who was BF and at the top, but looking at a few examples doesn't give you the whole picture.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"