Dads & Dads-to-be
Options

Handling her hormones!

My wife is 18 weeks today. I've noticed in the last 4-5 days, my wife has been extremely hormonal! She's had a fairly "easy" pregnancy so far, so it was surprising that she just emotionally and verbally unloaded on me. She said things about me not doing around the house like cleaning the kitchen before I went to work (I leave at 6am!!) and not paying attention to our 2 foster children (7 months and 2 years old),etc. How do you guys handle the mood swings and not get emotionally broken down by your wives/partners insults?

Re: Handling her hormones!

• Options
    I have lived with insults and verbal abuse most of my life so I just let my wife's comments roll off of my back like I do with most abuse any more.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Bottle it up until you get cancer and die. Lol.
    My wife will realize she's being psychotic and just say she needs to be left alone until she is in a better mood. So I go wander around the local gun store or if it's really bad I drive to cabellas.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It only last's about a year or so, then it either gets back to normal or simply become the normal.

Her body is changing and she might need to talk to someone (family or friend that's been there) to help her understand how to cope with what she is going through.

I like the drive to Cabella's idea and will have to remember that. The closest Cabella's to me is 190 miles one way :)
    Proud 40 year old, first time daddy!
  • Options

I mentioned this to my wife and she said to be less annoying.

By the way, I do the kitchen before I go to work and I only leave a little bit after you do. That's something that can be done pretty easily. We don't even have a dishwasher.

• Options
    trisholiosboitrisholiosboi member
    edited April 2014
    Thanks guys. The problem is that we have a 7 month old and 2 year old foster children, so I can't do the dishes or whatever at 6am in the morning without waking them up, at least the baby. So you guys are seriously
    saying to just deal with it? I feel that just because she's pregnant, that doesn't give her a license to berate me and treat me,like shit! Her sister is pregnant also, and they have each other, don't make the punching bag!
  • Options

You're not going to wake anyone up if you're quiet about it. Babies sleep hard.

We can't give you any magic words to fix it. About all you can do is deal with it. Ignore the comments and treat your wife the way you would any other day. Her body is doing some crazy things that we don't understand so just do your best.

For the record, my wife is on her second pregnancy right now and she hasn't once shown signs of hormones. It's crazy, I sometimes even try to provoke her and I never get a reaction.

Good luck, I hope things get better for you.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Coming from a pregnant women who has the same complaints with her SO, I would say help her out. Do some dishes and pick up around the house a little on your day off. Pregnancy is not easy especially when there are other children to take care of. She needs all the help, love and support she can get right now. Don't just ignore it. It will only build up and get worse and add unnecessary stress to the baby.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. I do double the chores I did before she got pregnant, I do all of the late night munchies runs to grocery store, all while working overtime
  • Options

Lurking lady...

As someone who has a very hard time controlling her emotions when PMSing, this is something I fear.  Before I take my progesterone I apologize to C in advance for the things I'll say and do.  I turn into something of a monster and I know when I cross the line - and usually I'll buy dinner and a card to say I'm sorry because hormones aren't a reason to be a bitch.

Just try to remind yourself that this isn't her.  It's a version of her and she'll get through it.  When she's in a good mood though, you should remind her of how much you do and how hard you're working to support her and ask her to try to think before she lashes out at you.  Sometimes she won't be able to help it - but other times she should be able to hold her tongue long enough and just say "I'm sorry, but I need some space right now" and walk away.

That's what I do when I feel a case of crazy progesterone-induced anger coming on.  I know what it is.  I can feel it boiling up in me and I hate it.  I have a feeling I'm going to be a bear when I'm pregnant but it's something we're both going to have to deal with.

In any case, while you definitely don't deserve to be treated poorly, try to remember that this isn't the person you married doing this to you.  It's the pregnant version :) try tuning her out.  C will just say "I know this is your hormones talking" and that usually shuts me up.

Hang in there!!

• Options
    @trisholiosboi - Preggo lady here. My advice is a little different. A lot of times these things are hormonal surges, it's confusing and we feel like a different person after. My Boss happens to be a Scientist and warned me that my entire personality could change but will return to normal after pregnancy. He said to take it easy on myself, and this was all coming from a guy. 

I think you should let her know you hear her. Listen intently when she has these breakdowns of sorts, look her in the eye and let her know these things are important to you too, you understand what she is saying, and you want to help as much as you possibly can. Repeat this if necessary. Remind her that you're her partner and even though she is the one who's body and mind are flipping out, you are both in this together. Then, take your own baby steps to let her see things are getting done. You may not get to everything immediately or have the time or energy to fulfill every request (Dad's are people too!) So do what you can and then talk to her or leave a note when you leave, "Honey, I wiped down the counters this morning and took the trash out with me. Will get to the other things as soon as I can/after work/after we have dinner together tonight/after I play with the kids later." 

Communication makes all of this 300% easier on both of you. Pregnancy can trick us chicks into feeling like we're alone in all of it. Alone in carrying the baby, getting sick from it or emotional from it, not being able to do/enjoy some of the things we used to, caring about the house alone, caring about the kids alone...when YOU can jump out of bed and head off to work feeling as you normally would, it plays a trick on her mind. Tell her you understand. Hopefully she will get less insulting about it just knowing you're on the same page. Hope this helps.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"