July 2014 Moms

Baby hiccups

Everyone keeps asking me if I've felt them yet. Of course as a FTM I have no idea what they feel like, then they say "you'll know it when you do". That doesn't help me know what I'm supposed to be feeling. So ladies who have been pregnant before...what do baby hiccups feel like?

Re: Baby hiccups

• BP607BP607 member
    edited April 2014
    It will feel like the same movement over and over again at a pretty regular interval for a minute or two.  Like PP post, they feel like a hiccup!  
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes. Every night about bed time. Little turkey.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• They feel like a small gas bubble explosion in your ute in a rhythmic pattern... Does that make sense? lol. Little Dude had the hiccups last night and DH was able to get his hand onto my tummy in time to feel them.

It's true... You'll know when you feel them. It's a repetitive "kick" type feeling.

BFP#1: 08/30/12 EDD 04/30/12 m/c 09/04/12 6wks
    BFP#2: 01/27/13 EDD 10/06/13 missed m/c 02/25/13 9wks
    BFP#3: 10/30/13 EDD 07/05/14 Our little dude was born on 07/10/14 @ 2:19p <3

• Baby was hiccuping during an ultrasound and when I saw his little chest move, I could feel it very subtly....but I have never felt it otherwise.  I'm sure he's hiccuping in there sometimes, but it's just too subtle for me to feel without the visual aid at this point  :)

5 years TTC, no luck with IUI's, failed IVF June 2013, 
    FET Oct 2013 with delayed transfer, intralipids, lovenox & prednisone= first BFP of my life!
    ***Beautiful baby boy born June 13th!*** 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I felt them for the first time yesterday. Felt like his head was in my left ribs and his feet were down near my pelvis on the right side. And I would get thumps from both in a fairly even rhythm. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Now this makes sense. Felt it twice yesterday and had no idea what it was because it was like a repetitive "kicking" feeling. I thought it would be a long pause in between each hiccup like we get them, but I was wrong.
  • hope1017 said:
    Now this makes sense. Felt it twice yesterday and had no idea what it was because it was like a repetitive "kicking" feeling. I thought it would be a long pause in between each hiccup like we get them, but I was wrong.
    Depends on the hiccups, I guess. Mine did have a long pause between them so it was hard to figure out at first. 
  • @zarkarella‌ this is so confusing lol. If there is a long pause how can you distinguish it from a regular kick?
  • Yeah, what she said ^^^ I'd say it was about every 10-15 seconds for me. 
  • What everyone else said...regular kicking isn't rhythmic, even for Beyonce's baby I am sure. If you feel like baby's movement is following a steady beat, you are almost guaranteed to be feeling hiccups.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I totally never thought about that @ashleysyn2
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Here's a questions. I've felt my babies hiccups but what is a normal amount of hiccup rounds a day. I would say I regularly feel them at least 1x daily but some days its like 4 times throughout the day...Which seems a little excessive.

How many times a day does your baby get the hiccups?
    BabyFruit Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic 
    BFP 10/27/13---Heartbeat 11/20/13---Its a BOY, Ethan Ray 2/18/14---Possible heart defect 2/18/14---Confirmed Aortic valve abnormality 3/26/14---Scheduled delivery June30th
  • I just started getting them last week.  It is just like a rythmic, soft tapping in the same spot.  You really will be able to tell as it's a lot more rythmic than normal fetal movement.

• To me it feels like a rhythmic tapping on my cervix (I think that's where baby's head is right now).  Started feeling them with this pregnancy at 28 weeks.  Last pregnancy my DD got them all the time- several times per day.  It was actually pretty annoying by the end!
    DSC_1342
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers

• I haven't felt hiccups yet :( Hopefully I will soon with these tips on what to watch out for.
  • jessa8907 said:
    I have felt them once and was immediately sure that's what it was. Like PPs said, it will be movement that comes in a repetitive pattern just like hiccups.

This. ^

DD had them all.the.time as an inside baby and she still gets them a lot. According to MIL DH was the same way. This babe hasn't had them yet!

• I agree with the descriptions above.  As far as frequency, DD got them all.the.time.  I've only felt this baby have them a couple times.  I actually knew when DD turned breech at 35 weeks because the hiccups moved from my crotch to up by my rib cage.  She had them multiple times a day by the end.

Lilypie Maternity tickers

BFP#2 7/3/13.  U/S at 6w4d showed 1 heartbeat at 127 bmp and 2 empty sacs.  MMC discovered at 10w4d.  D&C 8/27/13.  Pathology showed normal boy.  Missing our babies every day.
    BFP#3 10/29/13!  Beta#1 at 4w5d - 2141, beta#2 at 5w1d - 7651!  U/S 11/21/13 showed baby measuring 2 days ahead with a heartbeat of 127 bmp!
  • I felt them frequently with DD and DS but so far at 28 wks, I haven't felt them yet with this one. Wondering if an anterior placenta has something to do with it or if they'll come in time.
  • LO gets them every afternoon and lately every night. It feels like a big gas bubble dropping in your belly but several in a row. I had no idea what they were until my last ultrasound and I could see her doing it. :)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Does anyone else feel like their baby/babies are jack hammering in the uterus??? Mine is like "bang bang bang bang" really fast!!
  • mhooks23mhooks23 member
    edited April 2014
    This is my third and I still don't have any idea what they feel like. I'm not sure I have ever felt hiccups but I have had an anterior placenta with every pregnancy.

edit: spelling
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • It took me a few times to realize what it was, but it feels like light kicking that happens every 3-4 seconds. I love it.
    Baby seems to get them at least twice a day.

BabyFetus Ticker

• ahjahbaba said:

Here's a questions. I've felt my babies hiccups but what is a normal amount of hiccup rounds a day. I would say I regularly feel them at least 1x daily but some days its like 4 times throughout the day...Which seems a little excessive.

How many times a day does your baby get the hiccups?

I wouldn't see that as abnormal at all. I know that when I get the hiccups myself, I always get them multiple times in that same day. I have always been that way. If I get them once, I wholeheartedly expect them a couple more times that day. ;)

I haven't felt the hiccups with this LO yet, but I remember DS getting them. Just wondering when she will start them. Feels pretty cool!
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• I was just feeling left out when . . . OMG . . . there they are!  I called DH over and he felt them, too.  They are rapid but regular and rhythmic.
  • Also, remember that LO is breathing amniotic fluid constantly- if you were doing that, you'd probably have the hiccups a lot more often too! ;-) 
    My sweet little munchkin! 
    8 lbs, 13 oz.  21" long

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"