Parenting after 35

Anyone ever get invited to an "Adult Only Baptism"?

My husband and I just got invited to a baptism of a baby girl and the invite said"adults only" on it. We are 38 and have an 18 month and 3 month old. The couple are 39 and just had their first baby. I found it strange since a baptism is such a family/ community event. Is this a thing?

Re: Anyone ever get invited to an "Adult Only Baptism"?

• I have never heard of that!  When we baptized both of my kids my entire family, including kids were invited just for the reason you stated, it is a family affair. Huh! That is strange.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Are they bringing their baby? Lol. This is a new one to me!
  • Loading the player...
  • Maybe if they are having a party afterwards the venue they are choosing isn't kid friendly? Or maybe they just don't want to pay for kids to eat? Or is there a couple that is invited that is known to not supervise their kids well? I am just trying to think of why someone wouldn't want kids at a baptism? I am perplexed?

• veekveek member
    They are having the reception at the Four Seasons Hotel. My husband thinks they are doing the no kids thing because of the venue. But then why the venue? This couple are multi millionaires and their house is worth 3 million- honestly I don't get why they aren't having the reception at their house. I don't think they get the whole baptism / kids/ family thing yet and this is their last hurrah beofre they can't go to venus like the Four Seasons again.
  • Oh man that is just silly. I had the same thought as PP - is their child going to be there?... I understand no kids at a wedding reception, but baptism... Silly.
  • Holy doh ray me!!! Good for them that they can afford that kind of party but like you stated they are missing the point of a baptism...welcoming the child into the family/religious community. To each his own I guess but it is sad that they are going to alienate a bunch of people I would assume with this request to leave their kids at home.

• We had DD's & DS's Baptism & First Communion parties at a reception site, but NEVER in a million years would we consider them child-free events...  I'm in agreement that it sounds like they're trying to make it one last hurrah before the realities of family life start to set in.  I mean, what is going to happen when the kid is old enough to want friends to have a Birthday party...  I'm also going to guess that they have a nanny for the child and the child won't be at the Baptism party afterwards either...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • That is really strange. My first thought was, do they not want any other child to take away from their child? Perhaps even thinking that makes me a bad person :( I agree though, I think they missed the whole point, but I could see so many people at our parsish doing the same thing if they had the option. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Proud Mom to the ZooCrew - Jack 3 years old and Joey 21 months. 
    Excited and delighted to welcome the 3rd member of the ZooCrew in 2015! We can't wait to meet you Matthew Henry!
  • veekveek member
    I am struggling trying to find a babysitter for this event- I wonder if we should even go....
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"