Attachment Parenting

Going on vacation at the end of april, what to bring?

Sleeping- need suggestions.  We have an arms reach co-sleeper, but he is starting to HATE it.
For out in the sun- I know once upon a time there was a little baby shade type thing you could bring to the pool/beach with you that was like a little canopy... can anyone recommend something?  

Of course I'll get swim shirt/hat/etc for him.
Prob will not bring my pump because I loathe pumping... unless there is some unforseen need for it (?)

And if you make your own baby food, what did you find was the easiest thing to do on vacation?
I'm tempted to just bring the beaba with me rather than make ahead and freeze.  
Fwiw, we will be in a condo on the beach if that helps.

Anything else I didn't think of?  Thanks in advance!
DS#1- 5 y/o! Stop growing up little man!<br><br>
DS#2- 5 months old.  AH! SQUISH!<br>
imageimage
TTC #2
3 M/C. Finally a sticky baby- 9/3/13!

Re: Going on vacation at the end of april, what to bring?

• ALSO- this is my intro here, btw. Hi.  I'm Kristin.  :)
    imageimage
    TTC #2
  • How old is LO?

A Moses basket, or even bedsharing can work well on vacation.

Sunscreen, a hat that will cover his neck, uva/UVB protective clothing, etc...is this a beach trip? If there will be sand, pack baby powder. Shake some on LO (and your legs too) and the sand won't stick to skin and rub/irritate.

For solid foods, I would just share whatever you're eating with LO and not bother with all the purée-making equipment, unless you really prefer giving LO puréed food.
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Welcome! Regarding sleep, there's a post on vacation bedsharing about half a page down. Hopefully that is helpful. In terms of food, Baby Led Weaning rocks. It is so freeing to not have to worry about separate food on the road (or at home for that matter). For sun, there are lots of little tents and things on Amazon but personally we like the Sport-Brella whole family shade.
  • Sleeping- Depending on where we go or for how long we usually bring a pack n play or he sleeps in the bed with us.

For out in the sun- How long are you going to be in the sun and are you going to a pool or a beach?  For the pool, we brought his stroller and he could lay/camp out in there to stay out of the sun.  We go to the beach on a weekly basis and have a lightspeed pop-up we use for shade.  It was like $40 at Costco.

And if you make your own baby food, what did you find was the easiest thing to do on vacation?  We also did BLW, so we never brought anything with us, he just ate whatever we ate.
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm going to have to look into the BLW! That sounds so much easier than bringing stuff with us.  Thanks for the recs on the sun shades and powder so sand doesnt stick.  

The condo has a pool and is on the beach so we can do either- I'll def. use the sunscreen and protective clothing as well as the shades- we don't need a sunburned baby :( 

The co-sleeper converts into a pack and play as well- so I'm guessing we'll try that and if that doesn't work we'll just put him in bed w us. 

Thanks for the info, ladies!!
    imageimage
    TTC #2
  • Let me just add one thing about the baby powder.  I see that recommended all over the place (Not just on this board).

Don't waste your money on baby powder.  Just pick up some cornstarch.  Some "baby powders" contain talcum powder, which has inhalation risks.  The ones that don't use cornstarch anyway, so you can skip the other ingredients and just use cornstarch.  Cornstarch is usually cheaper too.  And if your kid gets sand all over his face (like mine does) you don't have to worry about the cornstarch getting in the eyes or mouth.
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Looks like your LO will be 6-7months? The pics below are from our beach trip last July (at 6mo). 

Definitely get infant sunglasses (they were $4 at Walmart) and a pool float with shade!  DD loved hanging out in the pool, and the sun was too bright for her sensitive eyes without the sunglasses.  

We didn't start solids until after our beach trip, closer to 7 months, so I just nursed the whole time.  She slept in her p&p some and in bed with us the rest of the time.
    image  image
    yes!! this is the type of thing I was imagining... perfect.  such cute pics, btw!  
    imageimage
    TTC #2
  • P.S. If you have muslin blankets, those are great for getting off sand. We've never even had to use babypowder or cornstarch. A dry muslin blanket just wipes the sand right away. I also love them for a nursing cover if my boob is totally out on the beach while nursing or to cover baby a bit while in a carrier.
  • Bring a baby bath to the beach. Fill it with ocean water and let baby play in the shade of your umbrella to stay cool.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"