C-sections

Pain management after cs

I will be having a 3rd cs in November. Both of my daughters were breech. I am trying to figure out a pain management plan. I don't do well with prescription pain killers. They make me very anxious and I basically feel like I'm losing my mind...not good! Has anyone gone without them? Only used motrin or something similar? I remember the nurses insisting that I take the prescription stuff last time... norco, I think.

Re: Pain management after cs

• I only used prescription pain meds in the hospital.  They weened my down to tylenol as soon as possible based on my pain level.  They gave me a script for percoset just in case when I left but I didn't need it.  They shouldn't insist on you taking anything...it should be based on your pain needs.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • flclflcl member
    I didn't want to take the Norco either... I was nervous about how it would make me feel.  I ended up taking one Norco pill (half the recommended dose) and absolutely hated it.  Instead, I alternated Motrin and Tylenol for pain management.  The Norco worked better in terms of managing the pain but I preferred the Tylenol just because I got better sleep on it, I didn't have awful dreams, etc...  I also got up and walked around frequently which helped my recovery.  All of my family and friends who've had c-sections themselves were impressed with how well I was moving around so soon.  I attribute that to all of the short walks I took, even though it was really tough in the beginning.

As everyone says, every pregnancy and every birth is different though....  Just keep in mind that you want to stay ahead of the pain as much as possible and NOT to push yourself too much.  GL!
  • Loading the player...
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Percocet in the hospital and a couple days at home. It makes me super jittery so I weaned down to Motrin as soon as possible.

• Percocet made me really itchy after my first c/s, so after I was off whatever they put in the IV after my second one, I just took Tylenol and Motrin, alternating between the two.  The nurses knew I couldn't take Percocet so they had it all set up for me.  The pain was manageable.  The only problem was that I went home much sooner than I did after my first c/s and I think I ended up overdoing it because I had awful back pain about four days after surgery; in retrospect I wish I'd stayed in the hospital an extra day just for the extra recovery time and help with DS.
    DD born 10/10/07 * DS born 11/25/11 * #3 due 3/9/2015
  • I did Motrin and Percocet while I was in the hospital. I had a choice of when I wanted them and if I wanted them. When I got home I took them both for 3 or 4 days and then pushed myself to not take the Percocet unless the pain got terrible. I still took the Motrin for a few days and stopped all of the meds. I was done with both by 3 weeks pp.
  • I alternated Tylenol and Motrin after both csections. Narcotics make me vomit so I would rather have a little pain. The only time it was bad was getting in and out of bed.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • bingbongsmamabingbongsmama member
    edited April 2014
    I only took Motrin and didn't need it by day 5. I continued taking it for my mastitis for a full week but I no longer felt pain from the surgery.

ETA: once they removed the IV I refused any oral narcotics. I don't know what they pumped me with prior to that
  • Thanks for the feedback everyone! The last two times I took the prescription meds while in the hospital and the first day home, then switched to ibuprofen. I would love to stop the day after the c section this time. We'll see...I'll have to talk to my Dr!
  • I'm allergic to narcotic pain meds so my doctor had me on 600 mg of Motrin. I was totally fine with it. 
  • I plan on taking 2 plain Tylenol with 2 regular strength ibuprofen every 6 hours when I deliver (3rd C/S. It really is quite effective, and is actually what we give to post op patients on our unit

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I had my second section ten days ago and managed just fine with Motrin only. They gave me one shot of Duramorph leaving the OR that made me sick. After that, I refused any and all narcotics. I was notorious on my floor, the nurses kept trying to force Percocet in me. I just kept ranking my pain at a 3 and taking the Motrin. I was a little sore but it was so much better than being "doped" up and groggy!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"