August 2012 Moms
Options

Because I feel like talking smack

I got an invitation in the mail to my cousin's son's first birthday party. We aren't very close to begin with, but we are her only family so I feel obligated to go to her shindigs. She does some things that us bumpies would consider....questionable...but this takes the cake IMO.

So her invitation is over the top crafty, as usual, in a Pinterest "FAIL" kind of way. The birthday party is potluck, but they request no dishes with tomato sauce or any other tomato product. Then I notice a small registry card that fell out of the envelope that is for Toys R Us.

So not only do I have to feed myself and all her guests that I don't know (but nothing with tomatoes), but she is also telling me what to buy her kid? Is this totally crazy or am I old-fashioned? Did any of you "register" for your LOs birthdays (first or otherwise)? What do you think is the etiquette for a pot luck party? This just seems rude for a first birthday party. I think potluck and I think 4th of July party or something in someone's backyard, but this is booked at some kind of hall, so it just seems off.

Re: Because I feel like talking smack

• Options
    Wow...I totally agree that both the pot luck and registry are super tacky! You should post on baby showers...lol.

And to add my own smack talk, I just got a FB invite for a baby shower for my cousins second baby. I'll admit I don't know all the details here, but from what I've gathered, CPS was involved with her first child (now 3 or 4) and her aunt now has custody of him.
  • Options
    I think any party with a mailed invitation should not be potluck - that is reserved for holidays, or informal stuff organized by phone or email. There was an article in the NY Times last weekend about birthday registries: https://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/06/fashion/gift-registries-branching-out-to-other-occasions.html?_r=0
    BFP #1 9/2010 (lost our baby at 21 weeks) BFP #2 8/2011 (ectopic pregnancy) BFP #3 10/2011 (chemical pregnancy) BFP #4 12/2011 (Abigail born 8/15/12) BFP #5 5/2013 (Griffin born 1/23/14 with heart defects, now repaired!)

photo 72ec2e97-1e39-4650-8caa-7a40c9ac500b.jpg imagephoto 929c6b58-8824-44a8-a8a6-68330306a3a9.jpg
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Invitation pictures, PLEASE!  I love Pinterest fails.

Birthday parties should not be potluck.  I think if it's a gifting occasion, the host should provide food, unless maybe it's a very informal family gathering.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"