International Bumpies

Hammam while pregnant?

For those of you living in a country with a hammam culture, do pregnant women usually partake?  I know saunas are a no-no, but since the hamman isn't so hot I'm wondering if the recommendation is different. I'm going to Istanbul in a few weeks and the baths are usually my favorite part of the trip! 

I asked my OB here in Ukraine and she said I could go, but I'm just not sure I fully trust her advice on this. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Hammam while pregnant?

• From what I've read, you want to avoid anything that's going to raise your body temperature above 100 F (~38 C) degrees.  When you get too hot, your heart rate increases and blood flow to baby is reduced - if it's hot enough where you need to come out and cool down, it's too hot for baby.  So...  I'm not sure how hot the hammams get, but maybe that will help you decide.  Remember, you can sweat and hang your limbs out to cool off, but baby can't!  I'd probably err on the side of caution, and I might also be concerned about being exposed to bacteria or molds, but this is my first pregnancy, so it's quite possible I'm being too cautious.  ;)  At least if you end up going, be sure to drink plenty of water so you don't get dehydrated.  :)  Enjoy your trip!
  • I agree!  While it takes a lot to get your body temp up a few degrees its still probably better to be safe then sorry!  Plus, I don't know about the hammams you've been in but the one I enjoy here in Brussels is H O T!  I don't think it seems as bad since its a "wet hot" (as opposed to the dry heat of the sauna), but its still pretty toasty in there!  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"