Baby Showers

Send gifts when you don't attend?

KSwen719KSwen719 member
edited April 2014 in Baby Showers
So, I have ALWAYS sent a gift when I've been invited to a gift giving event and was unable to attend. This goes for baby showers, bridal showers, and weddings mainly. But my shower has passed and there were several ladies unable to attend and none of them have sent a gift. These aren't just acquaintances - they're relatives and very close friends. Granted they may plan on sending something later (I'm not due for two months). And I am in NO WAY complaining - I have literally every single thing I need (most of which we bought ourselves) I'm really just wondering if sending a gift for an event you did not attend is no longer required. What do you all suppose the etiquette on this is?? I'm invited to a bridal shower in a few weeks and I can't go, so now I'm rethinking what I should do.

And seriously, I am not complaining. At all.

Re: Send gifts when you don't attend?

• KSwen719KSwen719 member
    edited April 2014
    Darbie914 said:

KSwen719 said:

So, I have ALWAYS sent a gift when I've been invited to a gift giving event and was unable to attend. This goes for baby showers, bridal showers, and weddings mainly. But my shower has passed and there were several ladies unable to attend and none of them have sent a gift. These aren't just acquaintances - they're relatives and very close friends. Granted they may plan on sending something later (I'm not due for two months). And I am in NO WAY complaining - I have literally every single thing I need (most of which we bought ourselves) I'm really just wondering if sending a gift for an event you did not attend is no longer required. What do you all suppose the etiquette on this is?? I'm invited to a bridal shower in a few weeks and I can't go, so now I'm rethinking what I should do.

And seriously, I am not complaining. At all.

A person is never required to give a gift- PERIOD.  If someone can't make it to an event, it is up to them to decide if they still want to send a gift or not.  It's not mandatory.

Also, if you want to give a gift, then give it.  Don't rethink it based on what others do or don't do.  

Lol, yea reading my post again my use of the word "required" was a bit silly - my apologies. I know giving a gift isn't ever required per se. Good point.

ETA: I guess I'm just mostly wondering what other ladies here do.
  • It depends on the situation. A family member is getting baptized this Saturday night. I can't go but will mail a card with money. Earlier this year we got invited to a co-ed second shower for people we have distanced ourselves from. I RSVP'd no and didn't send a gift. I don't think an invitation is a summons, for your attendance or a gift.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • For me it is about my relationship with the guest on honor. If they are a family member of a close friend whom I would give a gift to anyways, yes I would send a gift at some point. If it isn't someone I am super close with and can't make it, nope -- I wouldn't worry about sending a gift.
    Me: 30 Him: 33
    Married: August 2012
    BFP #1 9/2013 -- MC 10/2013
    DD: 9/22/2014

• ccamccam member
    It depends on my relationship with the bride / MTB.  If I'm very close with them, then I would definitely send a gift.  If not, then I don't.  It's not required. 

Trying for #1 since May 2010   l   DX ~ Unexplained Infertility June 2011

IUI #1&2 = BFN; IUI #3 = BFP, m/c @ 6 weeks

November '11 ~ IVF#1 ~ ER 11/18 (29R, 17F) ~ 5dt of one beautiful blast on 11/23 = BFP!!

Beta #1 9dp5dt = 116, P4 = 28 ~ Beta #2 13dp5dt = 700 ~ Beta #3 20dp5dt = 9500, P4 = 26

1st u/s 12/27 - hb of 156!! EDD 8.10.12 :)   **TEAM GREEN!**

Sweet baby boy born 8.18.12

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Trying for #2

FET #1 - October '13 - c/p   l   FET #2 - December '13 - cancelled :(   l   FET #2.2 - 1.30.14 - BFN

~ More testing - hysteroscopy, endometrial biopsy & more b/w - all normal / negative~

Surprise BFP while waiting on FET #3 ~ beta #1 500; beta #2 1600; first u/s 4/3 - measuring 5w5d, no hb yet!; 2nd u/s 4/10 - hb 132, measuring 6w6d - EDD 11.29.14 :)    **TEAM GREEN!**

Beautiful baby girl born 11.24.14

• It depends on my relationship with the person. I always send gifts for major life events - i. e. a wedding - but not for every party - i.e. a baby shower, birthday party, etc.

If it is a close friend or family member, I would likely send one or just give them a present when the baby is born.
  • Agree with the others, it depends on my relationship with the guest of honor. DH's cousin out of state, yes sent a small gift. DHs friend from college that we see once every couple years, no gift.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• VORVOR member

FOr a wedding, I'd still send a gift.  For a shower?  Probably not.  If I'm close to the person, I'll probably be giving them a gift anyhow, so I don't feel I need to send a "shower" gift, per se.

If I'm not close to the person and the chances of me seeing them or what have you is slim - I probably won't give a gift.

• Darbie914 said:
    Gotcha.  

It depends on my relationship with the guest of honor.  If it's a close friend/family member and I can't attend, I'll usually send a gift or save it until the next time I see them.

If the event is for someone I don't really talk to or see much, I usually don't send a gift.
    Same
  • Jags8Jags8 member
    Add me to everyone else who says it depends on the relationship. I've missed a few of my cousins' weddings and/or baby showers (usually due to living halfway across the country). I wouldn't say I'm terribly close to any of them, so I've never sent a gift.

I missed my sister's baby shower, but when I was back in the state after my nephew was born, I gave her a gift.
  • My babies are 6 weeks old. My showers were 3 months ago and Im still getting gifts from those who couldnt attend. Dont assume they wont send something. Like others said, theres no rules. Send a gift if you want to (and it sounds like you usually want to.)

IVF #1 Sep '11 - canceled poor response

IVF #2 Nov '11  8R/8M/4F 3dt x2 - chemical

IVF #3 April '12  11R/6M/4F 3dt x2 - m/c

FET #1 Aug 2012  3dt x2 - BFN

**new RE**

IVF #4 Jan '13 BFN 11R/6M/6F 5dt x2 - BFN

IVF #5 July '13 16R/10M/10F 5dt x2 + 1 frostie

9dp5dt Beta 1 = 344!! 16dp5dt. Beta 2 = 4822 7wk u/s= 2 heartbeats!

Twin girls! 3/6/14

• I agree with PPs that I don't think it's an obligation to send a gift, but I do think it's a kind gesture to send a small gift if you know the person pretty well. That's the rule of thumb I use for myself, anyways. With that said, I was recently invited to a shower for a girl I haven't seen since 9th grade (seriously!), and I didn't send anything because I honestly don't even know where she lives or what she's been up to since high school. The invite was even sent to my parents' house that I grew up in because she doesn't know my address, which I thought was rather odd.

I agree with zazu13 that you may still get some gifts, so don't feel bad if someone really close to you didn't send anything. 
  • I would never not send a gift if I was invited, but maybe they are just waiting for the baby to be born now? I usually give a gift twice - at shower and birth.
    Me: 36 DH: 36
    Married: October 2011
    DS: January 2016
    DS: May 2019
    #3: April 2022
  • I would just get a nicer "meet the baby" type of gift if I couldn't attend the shower.

Oscar born October 2011

Miscarriage at 8 weeks (August 2013)

DD due September 1, 2014

BabyFruit Ticker

• I would send a gift if I couldn't attend a shower unless I am not close to the person.
    Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"