Baby Showers

Gender reveal vs shower

For our second we decided to do a gender reveal with optional gifting. Because a second shower seemed weird and we had NOTHING left. Also my hubby was unable to attend the ultrasound. So I didn't find out until the party, so we would still find out together. And my grandmother, two months after the party, is still making rude comments about how stupid it was. Really it worked for us. It was small and fun, I guess I shouldn't have invited her

Re: Gender reveal vs shower

• 2babymama said:
    For our second we decided to do a gender reveal with optional gifting. Because a second shower seemed weird and we had NOTHING left. Also my hubby was unable to attend the ultrasound. So I didn't find out until the party, so we would still find out together. And my grandmother, two months after the party, is still making rude comments about how stupid it was. Really it worked for us. It was small and fun, I guess I shouldn't have invited her
    Also, QFP

I always forget to do that.

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• Loading the player...
  • VORVOR member
    Idani said:

It kind of makes me giggle that Grandma is still commenting two months later about her dislike of it.. But I don't understand this post. 

I actually suspect that it's MUD.  Stupid post w/ a couple triggers in it that people get up in arms over.
  • paintedtulipspaintedtulips member
    edited April 2014
    Already going to see I am going to be in disagreement with many people on gender reveal parties! 

At OP, I think your party sounds lovely, and your grandmother needs to just get with current trends! 

I think overall gender reveal parties are much more fun than baby showers! Although, they serve completely different purposes. Gender reveal parties are much more casual parties (optional gifting is a good way to go, some people will probably bring gifts even if you say no gifts) where people can watch the parents find out what they are having, while partaking in fun games. With all of my friends' babies we loved matching up old wives tales with their symptoms, or guessing if it would be boy or girl. Three had gender reveal parties, and they were a blast! Plus, they had great pictures from them! Gender reveal parties are just plain FUN! 

Baby showers are more of a formal attire in my book. Formal dinner, or tea, presents, a celebration of the mother, hosted by close family or friends. If a baby shower is the equivalent to a bridal shower, then I feel like the gender reveal party would be the bachelorette party. Therefore, you need both, since they are so different. 

And to whoever said, "it's not the responsibility of your friends and family to provide for your child.  That's on you." Yes, I think that is obvious. That said, its them wanting to "celebrate" the baby by bringing a gift. Honestly, people who don't bring gifts to baby showers (I said baby showers, not gender reveals) are just rude. 

Also, the whole gender versus sex, yes we all know the difference, but you all don't have to be so PC. That is just stupid. I will call it a gender reveal party until my dying day.

Lastly, most of you are just so plain rude! If you don't have anything nice to say, you shouldn't say anything at all. 

• VORVOR member
    Oh god. Now we're moving into "needing" both events? Hell. Where have we gone that we feel OUR life events are "oh so important" that it involves multiple parties???
  • I wish you guys would calm the hell down.  Gender reveals might be a bit much, but if you keep it small, to people you know are interested, harm done is pretty much zero.  As long as the icky stereotypes (Football player or cheerleader!) and other rudenesses ("gifts optional") are avoided, who cares.  Kindly climb off the hyperbole bandwagon (kids-these-days, twat-as-understatement, really now?).

I hope everyone remembers that, although GR parties are tacky, grandma whining about it blows that trnasgression out of the water, rudeness wise.
  • Gifts are always optional... :-??

I think sex reveal parties are AW-ish, but I think they are doubly so if you mention anything about gifts during them.

A second shower would be tacky. It's up to you to provide for your offspring. If others decide to be generous towards your family then that is a bonus.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"