January 2014 Moms

Running moms... Question for you!

Do you run outside with your little one in a stroller? With the nicer weather, I've gotten out twice now with DS (9 weeks) in the stroller. While running today though, I started wondering if the bumps and cracks we go over on the street could jostle him too much. What are your thoughts? I'm going to stop running with him for now, for my own peace of mind but still curious about what other moms do.

Re: Running moms... Question for you!

• Do you have him in the car seat? Are you using a jogging stroller with suspension? I haven't run yet with my BOB because I didn't get the adapter. I think with the car seat you're probably fine, without, I would stay on smoother surfaces.

@chuggingwater and I were discussing this earlier this week. She decided not to run on gravel, I think. I am run/walking my community 5K tomorrow morning. It's all paved roads/sidewalks and MH will be with me so I'm going to ask him how bumpy things look and walk if it's too much.

According to the BOB packaging, and it could be for liability's sake, you're not "supposed" to run with LOs until they are like 8/9 months old. I was planning to start when she can sit up on her own at the latest.

Married: 9.22.12 - DD: 1.7.14 - EDD 2: 10.30.17 - J14 OG
  • "They" say you're not supposed to run with babies until they're minimum 6 months old, recommended 1year+. They are supposed to have perfect head and neck control to handle the jostling. That being said, if you have a jogging stroller with a carseat attachment, you could start earlier, but I honestly wouldn't until 3+ months even in the carseat.
    photo e2fe0839-b11a-41d8-8a07-1ef481a55d67_zpsda9c0f6f.jpg photo 777c55cb-e377-4070-950b-fdeda172a809_zpscd40251a.jpg IMG_15901 photo IMG_15901.jpg
  • Loading the player...
  • I have a car seat adapter, so he's in his car seat and I run on the street bc the sidewalks are too cracked and bumpy. Thank you for your input. I'm going to stop, and just stick to walks.
  • I'll start with short runs, and build up.
    imageimage
    Baby Chugging born 12.28.13
    induction due to HELLP

• I have a bob with the adapter. But from what I read was not to run with them for 9 ish months. So I was waiting till fall. I am pretty sure this info was in the owners manual. It also said to wait till 6ish months to not use the car seat and they would go in the stroller seat part. So we just use the boob for long walks at the park with the car seat.
    BFP #1 (7/13/12) MC (8/14) 9 weeks. D & C 8/17.
    BFP #2 (5/18/13) due 1/26/14. Grow baby grow!
    Its a surprise! Team green!

• Roses87 said:

I have a bob with the adapter. But from what I read was not to run with them for 9 ish months. So I was waiting till fall. I am pretty sure this info was in the owners manual. It also said to wait till 6ish months to not use the car seat and they would go in the stroller seat part. So we just use the boob for long walks at the park with the car seat.

I run with my LO in our Bob. He is in his car seat with the adapter. We run on pavement and do 5k runs. I figured he is supported well in there as it's his car seat which keeps him save during driving in our vehicle.
  • I personally will wait until baby girl is around 7-8 months old to go out for runs in the BOB.  I've read, too, that it's good to wait until they have good head/neck control.   

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• My pediatrician said I could run now with the infant seat in the Bob. I am still scared though!
  • I have a BOB SE with an infant seat adaptor. I run with LO but only on smoothe surfaces and I brace the stroller / help absorb shock if we have curbs, cracks, dips, etc, but like PP have said, I'm careful not to cause more bumps and shakes than a car ride.
  • I run 2-3 miles a few times a week with Abel.  He's in his car seat in the jogging stroller (Baby Trend) and I only run with him on the bike path, which is very smooth. 

If you can use a car seat in a jogging stroller on a well paved path, I would say go for it (as long as no head control issues with the pedi). 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"