October 2013 Moms

First Word

My LO turned 6 months on 4/2 and started being more vocal. Then about a week-week and a half ago she started saying "mama". At first I was like no she didn't say that she's just making noise, but nope! She is definitely saying it! Some days, I still can't believe I'm a mom to such an amazing baby girl.

Anyone else's baby saying their first word?

Re: First Word

• Mine definitely says mama, but that's just part of her babble routine. She doesn't know what she's saying.
    *TTC since July 2010
    *BFP #1- 11/12/12, m/c 11/16/12 @ 6 weeks
    *BFP #2- 1/23/13 EDD 10/4/13  

*Emma Rose: 10/8/13

*BFP #3- EDD 03/9/16

March '16 December Siggy Challenge- Favorite Christmas Movie/Quote
  • Loading the player...
  • Same for us! He was fussing and I picked him up and like with a sigh of relief he said mama. He's also said mom before too.
    Can't believe how much or babies have grown already
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • She def says mama when she is crying...it makes it 100x worse! But I don't think my LO means it yet
  • Mine says "hey-a" but only because her older brother says it one million times a day to her. Yeah, if I heard something one million time every damn day Id repeat it too. 

• Ycu2013 said:

My DS is 6 months old and says...Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.

Tell the truth: did you google it or sing the song? ;)

• Mine says "hey-a" but only because her older brother says it one million times a day to her. Yeah, if I heard something one million time every damn day Id repeat it too. 

Oh, wait. I freaking do hear it one million times a day

• Mine says momma and mom too!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • At her 6 month check up she said it and her pediatrician said it counted as a word. She said to expect the first word between 6 and 9 months so to me, it's her first word.
  • cvjoyner said:

@blueeyedrose86‌ I thought the same thing until she woke up, looked right at me and said it.

Brayden does the same thing! I thought he was just babbling but I went to get him in the MOTN & he looked up at me & said mama, mama & that was it.
    Then one day I got home with him & walked up to my boyfriend & DS looked at him & said Dada.

It could just be a coincidence, who knows!

• cvjoyner said:

At her 6 month check up she said it and her pediatrician said it counted as a word. She said to expect the first word between 6 and 9 months so to me, it's her first word.

OP just because it counts as a word doesn't mean she's trying to say it...my LO has been speaking since birth then.

• She could be a genius. Who knows?
  • This is the new "I'm showing already" argument.

And the next argument after that will be...my baby can read!!
  • Mine babbles dadada.

• It does sound pretty clear to me but who knows if it's actually them saying a word or just babbling.

It makes us mommas feel good so what's the harm in thinking that's what their saying :)
  • I know it could just be her babbling, but the fact that she's saying something makes me feel good.
  • Baby talk at 6 months. At 6 months, your baby begins babbling with different sounds. For example, your baby may say "ba-ba" or "da-da." Some eager parents interpret a string of "da-da" babbles as their baby's first words -- "daddy!" But babbling at this age is usually still made up of random syllables without real meaning or comprehension.

Baby talk at 12 months. Most babies say a few simple words like "mama" and "dadda" by the end of 12 months -- and now know what they're saying.
     BFP #1: 3.2.13 | EDD: 10.21.13 | Born: 10.25.13
     BFP #2: 9.9.14 | EDD 5.13.15 | MC: 9.24.14
    BFP #3: 1.4.15 | EDD 8.23.15
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • cdhaslag said:

cvjoyner said:

She could be a genius. Who knows?

I just... I can't even. I hope this is OP being sarcastic.
    That got a huge eye roll from me! I don't think that there was any sarcasm there. My first daughter was a early talker (she signed and said dog anytime she saw a dog. She had over 20 words by 1. I never consider mama/dada as real first words. They are sounds that sometimes appear to be used correctly.) My baby says mama all the time and as much as I would love to think she's calling out for me it's a early baby sound!

After almost 3 years of IF and a crazy roadside delivery, we are loving life with our second beautiful daughter! Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I know it's babbling, but knowing that she can even begin to form even yhe slightest word is a good thing in my book. Not trying to brag, just saying.
  • cvjoyner said:
    I know it's babbling, but knowing that she can even begin to form even yhe slightest word is a good thing in my book. Not trying to brag, just saying.
    Well, yeah, it would be strange if your baby wasn't babbling. 
    DD1 born 9.20.13
    #2 due 12.23.17 

BabyFruit Ticker

• cvjoyner said:

I know it's babbling, but knowing that she can even begin to form even yhe slightest word is a good thing in my book. Not trying to brag, just saying.

Einstein didn't talk until he was 3...just sayin'.

DD1 didn't even babble until 9 months. yes she's still a bit behind in speech but is gifted in other areas.

Now DD2 babbles a lot and says "mama". but as a STM i find it more annoying than cute. i already hear "mama mama" all day from my toddler!

There's a wide variation in milestones, and usually children are ahead in one thing and behind in another.

I understand that as well. I don't expect her to just start talking and forming sentences out of nowhere, but it's a start. And though it may be babbling, she's starting somewhere. Every baby is different and I see babies/children everyday that are ahead in some areas and behind in others. It is what it is. If she wasn't even uttering so much as a noise, I'd be concerned.
  • Kittymom6Kittymom6 member
    edited April 2014
    My DD started "saying" mama this week, but I know it's just babbling. I'm secretly happy that she started her "mmm" sounds first, because if she said dada first, I know DH and MIL would insist that daddy was her first word. When DD was less than 6 weeks old and smiling at DH, I told him it was gas. His feelings were hurt. Wife of the year.

Eta: I don't think DD is actually saying words. She is making noises and just happened on mmm instead of da first.
    TTC since August 2011
    DX: Unexplained Infertility
    IUI #1: Clomid 50mg + Ovidrel + IUI: 11/3/12 - BFN
    IUI #2: Clomid 50mg + Ovidrel + IUI: 12/5/12 - BFN
    IUI #3: Clomid 100mg (CD 3-7) + 75 iu Bravelle (CD 9 & 11) + Ovidrel (CD 13) + IUI: 1/10/13 - BFP! EDD 10/3/13
    **P/SAIF welcome!**
  • I don't believe it !
    < image
  • calibr8te said:

Mine is refusing to make any 'mmm' sounds and I am convinced 'mama' is going to be a late word for him. 

On the other hand he purposefully grabs my arm and zerberts it first thing in the morning and  really insists on doing it when I am feeding him. My child speaks fluent fart.  
    Thank you for saying "zerberts". I totally forgot all about how much I LOVE that word. It brings me back to my childhood for some reason!

• 10 months is when a baby can relate a word to something.

Mine also says Manama dadada babababa it makes me feel good but not words..yet
  • When my baby says mama it totes counts as a real word!!

When she says dada it's just baby babble ;)

This! This! This!

imageimage
  • DS said 'hi' and lifted his hand in a wave. Yep. Child genius who can't even sit yet ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"