Baby Showers

Father's Day shower

julestonyjulestony member
edited April 2014 in Baby Showers
Hi Ladies. Looking for opinions. My SIL and Mom have decided that my shower should be on Father's Day, since that is the only day when my mom is in town that she is free. Keep in mind, it's a ladies only shower. I don't feel right asking my family and friends to leave their families on a day set aside for celebrating fathers to come and celebrate my unborn child. Am I off course? Or are they out of line? Thanks for your thoughts.
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Father's Day shower

• ccamccam member
    I personally would not attend a baby shower on Father's Day and I don't think a lot of people would.

Trying for #1 since May 2010   l   DX ~ Unexplained Infertility June 2011

IUI #1&2 = BFN; IUI #3 = BFP, m/c @ 6 weeks

November '11 ~ IVF#1 ~ ER 11/18 (29R, 17F) ~ 5dt of one beautiful blast on 11/23 = BFP!!

Beta #1 9dp5dt = 116, P4 = 28 ~ Beta #2 13dp5dt = 700 ~ Beta #3 20dp5dt = 9500, P4 = 26

1st u/s 12/27 - hb of 156!! EDD 8.10.12 :)   **TEAM GREEN!**

Sweet baby boy born 8.18.12

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Trying for #2

FET #1 - October '13 - c/p   l   FET #2 - December '13 - cancelled :(   l   FET #2.2 - 1.30.14 - BFN

~ More testing - hysteroscopy, endometrial biopsy & more b/w - all normal / negative~

Surprise BFP while waiting on FET #3 ~ beta #1 500; beta #2 1600; first u/s 4/3 - measuring 5w5d, no hb yet!; 2nd u/s 4/10 - hb 132, measuring 6w6d - EDD 11.29.14 :)    **TEAM GREEN!**

Beautiful baby girl born 11.24.14

• VORVOR member
    I would attend.  While we celebrate Father's Day, at the same time, I'd take 2 or 3 hours out of my day to attend a shower for a good friends impending new baby. My DH wouldn't be upset by this at all.
  • Loading the player...
  • If the shower is early enough in the day, I don't see a problem with it.

We usually celebrate FD with a late afternoon BBQ, though.

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• Jags8Jags8 member
    No you are right, we spend that day with family and I wouldn't attend a shower given on Father's Day.  Unfortunately since they are the hosts, they choose the date.  If they are unwilling to change the date, then I would simply decline the shower.  
    This
  • I would not go. We always attend church and then celebrate, sometimes with both sides of the family. Definitely no time for a shower.
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Darbie914 said:

Honestly, I would not attend a shower on Father's Day.  We typically wake up and have a special breakfast in the morning and spend time together during the day.  

I'd actually be really put off if I got a shower invite for Father's Day.  
    Exactly! I tried telling my mother this and she said they can celebrate in the morning. What? You can't tell people when to celebrate. She's really not usually this irrational...i think she's just stuck the father it's the only day she has free when they're in town.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Darbie914 said:

Honestly, I would not attend a shower on Father's Day.  We typically wake up and have a special breakfast in the morning and spend time together during the day.  

Exactly! I tried telling my mother this and she said they can celebrate in the morning. What? You can't tell people when to celebrate. She's really not usually this irrational...i think she's just stuck the father it's the only day she has free when they're in town.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Darbie914 said:

Pregnancy Ticker
  • jennish11 said:

I wouldn't go either.  It's a day to honor and spend time with the fathers in your life.
    It doesn't matter what time of day either... In my family the entire day is for the fathers and whatever they want to do.

Ask them to re-schedule... you can work another time out with your mom.

This

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would attend. To be honest, DH would see it as a pass to go play golf all afternoon and would be psyched.

Father's day isn't a big all day thing for us, or really any one I know. We usually have dinner together and the kids make gifts, but other than that, it's a regular day.
  • Well, it would be an easy choice for me and I would decline.

You can go along with the shower but don't be surprised if there aren't a lot of people there.
  • I would probably still go to a shower on Father's Day, but I would be annoyed by it. We had to travel out of state for a friends wedding Father's Day weekend of DHs first Father's Day. We were bummed about it, but did get home in time to have family dinner on Father's Day.
    I think it's kinda bullshit though that your mom is coming to town and has more important plans than her daughters baby shower. What the hell else does she have to do that Saturday?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I know...unfortunately, she has a wedding to attend the day before Father's Day, and the Sunday before they'll be at the symphony - should have planned that for during the week when the rest of us are working!  Granted, the wedding was planned before the baby was announced...but I am not digging this.  She said my dad is okay with it...trouble is, he's not the only father affected...

So frustrated...hoping to convince them to drive up the Friday of the week before instead of Saturday...then maybe they can do it Saturday the week before.  If not, then just don't host my stupid shower - I know other people will be happy to do it and won't pick a special day.  Funny thing is, if one of my cousins had their shower on Father's Day, I can assure you my mother would have PLENTY to say about how rude and inappropriate it is...whatever - I want her there, but the day is not about her...

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Nope. I would not attend. That day is set aside to honor my husband & remember my Father.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Depending on what time the shower was held, would depend on if I went or not.
  • Thankfully, my family has conceded!  My parents are coming in a day earlier so it can be the Saturday before...thank goodness.

And thank you all for your feedback :)

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"