Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

DD has an itchy head? Help!

Ok - so for the last week, DD's head has been very dry and scaly like it was when she had cradle cap as an infant. 

She wakes up crying hysterically and frantically itching her head and trying to rub it aggressively anywhere she can!  It is so sad to watch. I have been using mustela and we have been bathing her more than normal trying to help the issue. Has anyone else encountered this? It seems so weird. She doesn't pay any attention to it all day and then once she is asleep it bothers her immensely. She is such a wonderful baby and so mellow otherwise. I can't figure out what is wrong. 

HELP!! 

Re: DD has an itchy head? Help!

• can you do an olive oil or coconut oil scalp massage, like what is recommended for cradle cap? and/or try dry scalp/anti dandruff shampoo?

i don't mean to be insulting, but is there any possibility it could be head lice?
  • I would also check for fungus or any other kind of rash if it came out of nowhere. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I'd put a call into the pedi if it's that bad.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

imageimageimage
  • DD and DS both have food allergies and horrible eczema, even on their heads. The only thing that I have found to keep it in check is the California Babies Tea Tree shampoo. Tea tree is also a natural anti-fungal so it can also help yeast and other skin ailments.
    imageimage
  • This might sound kind of strange, but we used Mustela too - the newborn cradle cap stuff worked great when LO was born, but he got a scaly itchy head a few months ago. I started doing coconut oil prior to washing, cutting down on how often we washed, and finally switched shampoos. As soon as we stopped using the Mustela, it went away. In our search for something that works for LO, I've noticed there are just some shampoos he reacts to - we have to use an unscented wash on his body, so I actually started shampooing with that too (we use the Babyganics Bye Bye Dry wash). Works great!
    Married November 2009 ~ Sam is here! (12/26/12)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Thank you all for your input! We avoided the Mustela last night and tried the Aveeno Creamy soothing wash for dry & sensitive skin. What a relief!! It worked wonders!! Also - we had been to the pedi the other day and we asked about it - it was not lice or anything of that nature. They thought maybe it was dry skin too! 

With the Aveeno, it was almost as if the flakes disappeared over night!! They were almost non-existant this morning! Thanks again everyone! 
  • could it be eczema or could it be lice? either way, virgin coconut oil would be great.

i love you, my little mooncake mahal kita

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimageimage
  • I just noticed DS scratching a lot lately too.  I would try to cut down on baths, the more baths the more dried out they get.  You might want to try a smaller amount of shampoo too.  I think I might be using too much on DS.  Could also be a sun burn if LO is going outside lately.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"