3rd Trimester
Options

How to deal with being overdue

So, I'm sure plenty of others have gone through this but this is my first so I have no idea how to deal with these feelings.

I've watched my due date come and go. By a week now. I'm anxious, and upset. I want to meet my son.... and even though I know it's silly.... I keep getting so upset with myself. Like "why is my body not doing what it's supposed to?" Type of feelings.

I get so down and disappointed in myself sometimes. Despite taking EPO, RRL, walking until my feet swell, and sex - he's still not here. I actually had a false alarm where I had real contractions for hours, but absolutely NO cervical progression. Still high, only 1cm and %30 effaced. Then the contractions stopped.

I could just use some advice on how to relax a little, I know he'll get here when he's ready but damn... I'm feeling really bad lately.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: How to deal with being overdue

• Options
    Remind yourself that it's just as normal to go to 42 weeks as to deliver at 39 or 40 weeks.  Because really it is!  Try not to think about it - relax as much as possible.  The more you stress, the harder it will be for your body to go into labor.

Walk, have sex, get a pedicure, enjoy the last few baby free days!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Try to spend that time doing all kinds of fun and pampering things you might not get to do again for a little bit! It's so frustrating but remember that it can't last much longer!
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Warm baths, aromatherapy, sleep, rest. Your body IS doing its job. I was 11 days late with my first so I know how hard it is.
  • Options
    Thank you for the support! It's so easy to feel a little depressed when things aren't progressing. Hopefully I get some good news at my appointment in the morning!
  • Options
    I agree that it's normal to go to 42 weeks. I also told myself that my body was doing such an awesome job that baby was just super comfy in there, and in no hurry to head on out.

Best wishes for your upcoming birth. I'm sure it feels like forever, but it really won't be long now until you get to meet your wee one.
    Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• Options
    Justabean3Justabean3 member
    edited March 2014
    I had zero progression (fingertip) and I ended up being induced at 11 days over due. I just needed the kick start. The labor went quick once I started dialating. They only had to do cytotex which is similar to cervadil. The baby ended up emergency c-section because the cord was wrapped.

Listen to your body and listen to your doctor. Sometimes there is a reason baby is hanging out and sometimes they just are not ready yet.
  • Options
    I'm not overdue yet, but will be in a few days.  It's really hard to read this advice since I'm not comfortable.  I'm bored because I can barely walk which means not being able to leave the house.  I can't sleep because every position hurts. 

My advice would be to try to watch some television that you really enjoy, perhaps read a whole book since you might not get to do that again for awhile, phone friends and family just to chat, fill out as much of a baby book as you can, perhaps start a scrapbook of all our pregnancy memories, eat ice cream for breakfast since you won't have the excuse of being pregnant for much longer, and try to put positive thoughts into the universe.
  • Options
    I am now 2 days overdue and just had a dr appt this morning... no dilation at all :( I agree it's frustrating and it just plain sucks! You definitely aren't alone. It's uncomfortable, I can't sleep more than 1-2 hours at a time, I'm retaining water, he seems to like to practice jiu-jitsu at night when I'm trying to rest, and all this makes me cranky at times! I just keep telling myself it sucks right now, but it's going to get better soon! 
  • Options
    My labor class teacher said to remember that no one has been pregnant forever. It helped when I was over due with DS.

• Options
    I agree with the ladies here.  It's difficult, but know that the most it could possibly be is a few more days, you've already made it through 40+ weeks, you can do it another few days.  Yes, it's uncomfortable and upsetting and you are anxious to meet LO, but try to relax and enjoy the rest, that's what I did. 

• Options
    Visualization...seeing yourself and your cervix opening, like a flower. I started doing this and talking to the baby to reassure her that it is just as warm and safe out here as in there, plus a bit more room;) I had my DH check my cervix and I am definitely dilating. So, something is working. As far as comfort, I would like to wear shoes again and clothes that fit, even my maternity clothes are feeling snug;)
  • Options
    Keep in mind that your due date is nothing but an estimated date, not a deadline. I know it sucks being past your due date, but your baby and your body aren't going to do anything its not ready to do.
  • Options
    I went 10 days over with my first, it was just so infuriating!

I went for walks, stocked up on cat food, took naps and bought Christmas presents (November baby), basically got all the stuff done that might need doing in the first few weeks and that I wouldn't want to accompanied by a stroller and/or screaming monster while uncomfortable after labor.

Also drank hot drinks any chance I got (drinking a hot drink that's still hot becomes a distant memory) and made/froze a load of really good meals so I didn't have to cook or live on takeout and sandwiches after munchkin appeared.

If you get really bored, you can try out an old wives tale labor inducer every day - spicy food, sex, pineapples and all that jazz. At the very least, searching for ideas will keep you entertained for a while.
  • Options
    Unfortunately, there is not a good way to relax while being overdue with your very first baby...in my opinion.  I have been overdue by at least 41 weeks with all three previous babies (induced with #1 and #2...#3 came on her own)...with my first it was torture...the second I understood it a little better and by the third...I was really in no hurry and realized she will come when she will come...and just tried to enjoy time with my other two...this time around...I'm just planning on going overdue and just not paying attention to how far along I'm and all the crazy end of pregnancy symptoms that make you THINK it is soon.  It helps that I'm having my first Spring baby as getting out of the house for walks with the kiddos and playing helps a ton!
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

photo DSC_0014.jpg
  • Options
    I feel the same way!!  My due date is today and as of yesterday hadn't really started to dilate at all :(  I have an ultrasound and non-stress test scheduled for Monday and then my midwife said they can induce mid to end of next week...

So I am trying to relax and enjoy the last few days of "boredom" that I have :-)

Good luck and I hope it happens for you soon!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"