May 2013 Moms
Options

Anyone else not throwing a party for LO's first?

We recently moved and are now far from our friends and family.   We just had LOs baptism back in our old town so everyone we knew could be there but the long distance trip and having a event so far away was really taxing.   So at this moment I don't feel like going back to do it again.

The idea of not having a party for LO is depressing for me though.  It kind of feels like not having plans for New Years Eve.  I am thinking maybe we could just have something small or just make a fun day out of it for just the three of us.

Curious to know if any one is in a similar boat and what your emotions/thoughts about it are.

Re: Anyone else not throwing a party for LO's first?

• Options
    We are also far away from family but did decide to go up for his birthday and have a party. It only works out because it is Memorial Day weekend. If it wasn't the holiday weekend I would be in the same boat as you! Just remember they don't know what is going on anyway. Just spend the day the three of you and do something special!
  • Options
    We're sort of on the fence too. The only reason I'm thinking about doing a party is because we did a  big one for our first, and I don't want her to look at pictures when she's 10 and wonder why her sister's party was a big to-do and hers wasn't.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm keeping it simple. Her birthday is on Sunday. Saturday I plan to go to a park with a couple of friends and their kids. I'll have pizzas delivered and maybe bring cupcakes. Sunday we'll have immediate family over for food and cake.
    3 ectopic pregnancies (EDD's 1/30/12-tube removed, 6/2/12-methotrexate and 10/2/12-methotrexate)
    IVF and Natural FET resulted in BFN's and a hole in our wallets
    Natural BFP #4 on 9/7/12 gave us our miracle on 5/18/13
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    pnutgpnutg member
    We are doing a party this year but vowed not to do one every year.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We are also far from family so we won't be doing much. We will be on vacation during his birthday so it will be very low-key. Maybe I'll go get a massage during his nap :)
  • Options
    We will have the grandparents, aunts/uncles and cousins over. Nothing too much and no real theme although ds thinks we should make her a multi-colored butterfly shaped cake.
    imageimage
                                  Audrey    05/13                                               Charlotte 08/10

Graydon 02/09
  • Options
    We're probably not going to do much. Cupcakes and family- that's all we are thinking of now. Family members will visit throughout the month and into June, so W's birthday will be an extended event.

• Options
    @nailqueen - I have a huge family too.  My dad has always pressured me into an all or nothing with the family gatherings which makes it hard to plan something small...so I know how you feel, it can cause a lot of drama to invite some but not others.
  • Options
    We aren't doing anything huge.  My sister is coming up and H's family is local, so we'll have everyone over on Saturday afternoon for cake and ice cream. I'll get a few decorations/coordinating plates/napkins because that's just how I roll, but no themes, fancy invites, games, goody bags or any of that stuff.  She's one for crying out loud, she couldn't care less.
    My Life in D.C.
    The Daily Nugget

photo beachwave_zps17d3b89a.jpg
    Cycle 12, IUI #1 - 33m post wash 10/15/10 = BFN
    Cycle 13, IUI #2 - 15m post wash 11/16/10 = BFP, missed m/c, D&C 1/3/11
    Cycle 15 - 18, IUI #3-6 = BFN
    Cycle 20, IUI #7 = BFP!, missed m/c 9/14, D&C
    DE-IVF Aug. 2012: ER 8/30 11R, 7M, 4F; ET 9/4 returned 2
    Beta 9/18 #1-820, #2-1699, #3-7124
    10/1 1st u/s measuring right on track, 125 bpm

• Options
    My parents, sister and ILs are flying in from out of state; my SIL and her family are driving in from about 4 hours away. We're not having a party, but are doing extended family photos with our photographer, then going out to a restaurant to eat. Our theme is "Birthday." ;-)
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    @NailQueen‌ and @coffeeandbooks‌ I fully feel your pain. 1st Birthdays are a huge thing in my family but combined we have a very large family. I'll say it again, very large lol. My Mom and my MIL are both very big on inviting everyone. There is always so much drama around these things (don't even get me started on our wedding) and it makes me sick. Part of me wants to only invite the people that really and truly matter and are around her often (like we just did for her Baptism) but the other part of me wants to follow "tradition" and go all out for her 1st. We decided on the latter but moving forward we will be a lot tighter with our guest list for future Birthdays etc. I just can't bring myself to have our DD to be the only one that didn't get the big party in our family....sigh
    Eta - sp

• Options
    We just went out to dinner with the grandparents and came back and had cake. It was low key!
  • Options
    Just my parents and our family for now. DH is traveling around ds2 bday so we might do something when he's back
  • Options
    We are not having a big party with a theme. Just the grandparent's and DH's sister. If we invited the whole family, the guest list would be about 80 and I am not up for that. Not for a 1st birthday. BBQ and cupcakes is the plan.

Pregnancy Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"