Baby Names

Abra

Sam Buttons Sam Buttons member
edited April 2014 in Baby Names
What are your thoughts on Abra.
I've had a thing for this name since reading John Steinbeck's East of Eden.

I'm pretty surprised I haven't heard it in in real life as it has the religious connotation (not the appeal for me, but i am guessing it is for some) and its similar to Ava, which is super popular.

I'm not pregnant currently, just genuinely wondering and have always wanted to ask.

Re: Abra

• Jags8Jags8 member
    edited April 2014
    It's a girl's name? It just makes me think of Abraham, and assumed it was a boy name. I guess I'm not loving it for either sex.

Edit: spelling
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm not familiar with it. Is it pronounced with a long or short A? I immediately thought of Abra Cadabra. But maybe it's the long A as in Abraham?

This. Abra Cadabra.
    Another Abra Cadabra vote.  I do not like it.  
  • ashiscute said:
    I'm not familiar with it. Is it pronounced with a long or short A? I immediately thought of Abra Cadabra. But maybe it's the long A as in Abraham?

This. Abra Cadabra.
    Another Abra Cadabra vote.  I do not like it.  
    Add me to this list. Not a fan.
    Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Love: March 2010  Marriage: July 2013  Debt Free: October 2014  TTC: April 2015
     BFP: April 10, 2016 EDD: December 19, 2016 Team Blue!
    Oscar born November 20, 2016 at 35w6d

• Agree with Abra Cadabra.

Also, it literally spells 'a bra', normally I think people exaggerate about a kid being teased for their name, but I could see this being hard for a girl to have as a name when she hits puberty.  

• I'm not familiar with it. Is it pronounced with a long or short A? I immediately thought of Abra Cadabra. But maybe it's the long A as in Abraham?

It is the long A like Abraham. It sounds very similar to Ava.

• I also thought of Abra Cadabra. But, is it pronounced with a long "A" sound? If so, I think it sounds beautiful. And if it comes from literature and has religious cachet, I think that's the trifecta of a good name. Good luck with your choice!
    January 3T Siggy Challenge - New Year's Resolutions
    imageimage

Me (29), DH (30) TTC actively 54 55+ cycles | All BFNs
    MFI (low everything) | Endo Stage 1 & Stenotic Cervix (treated) | PCO
    Married - July 2008 | Started TTC - Jan 2009RE Visit #1 - Mar 2014 
    IUI #1 ICI #1 - June | IUI #1.1 Laparoscopy - Aug
    IUIs #1.2, 2, 3 - Sept, Oct, Nov (Letrozole) - BFNs 
    IUI #4 - Dec (Bravelle) | IUI #5 - Dec/Jan (Bravelle) - 5 follies + TI - BFNs
    IUI #5.1 - Jan (Bravelle) Cancelled 
    Planning to start IVF in March!
    ***All Welcome***
  • Nope, really dont like it.

• another abra cadabra here.
  • I came in thinking you left the "M" off the end. I love Abram for a boy. Not liking Abra for a girl.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

It's sort of pretty actually... But I envision mispronunciations and Abra Cadabra jokes.
  • It's pretty sounding, but I can't get past the fact that it spells "a bra".

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• It's pretty sounding, but I can't get past the fact that it spells "a bra".

This and the magician's phrase.
    ~Married 12.09.12~
    ~NTNP #1 since 11.14 - Current Cycle: 2~
    imageimage

• I know a little girl names Avra.  I don't like either. Abram and Abraham are both nice, but Abra seems unfinished to me. 

It's sort of pretty actually... But I envision mispronunciations and Abra Cadabra jokes.
    This is how I feel. I guess I should have added that I will never use it. I am just surprised it isn't a name you hear ever. But with the Abra Cadavra and a bra feedback, I think I get why lol.
  • The only Abra I ever "knew" was a minor 90's alt-rock singer named Abra Moore. I think the name itself is kind of pretty, but I agree with everyone above on "a bra" and abra cadabra. 
  • I know a grown Abra. We've had conversations about her name. She said as a kid there was many Abra Cadabra jokes as well as Pokemon jokes when that became popular. She uses it and embraces it, but kind of dislike the fact that her mom named her it. She does say she has a normal middle name and went by it for a time. She totally rocks it now too.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • there is a really good reason you never hear it!
  • Ugh my cousin named her daughter "Abriella". It sounds like she left letters off.. That's what "Abra" reminds me of.
  • First time i heard this name was reading the "Doctor Sleep" book. It is pretty but agree with others that Abra Cadabra immediately comes to mind.

Yup, its a pokemon. An awesome pokemon! But still..... a pokemon.  :P
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Dang - now I have the Steve Miller Band song on autoloop in my head!

"Every time you call my name
    I heat up like a burnin' flame
    Burnin' flame full of desire
    Kiss me baby, let the fire get higher..."

• There's a popular auto chain in the area called Abra Auto body so I think of that.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"