I'm freaking out a little. I'm calling the pedi but wanted to see if anyone here had experience/advice too.
I use a Medela pump and pump 3 times a day since I went back to work about two months ago. Prior to that, I pumped maybe once a day for my stash but otherwise EBF. I *knew* I was supposed to remove the yellow valves from the clear connector pieces to clean but could never get them off. Yesterday my LC showed me how they pop right off and when I looked inside the yellow valves, there was a bit of greenish mold in them! I'm really worried that V and E have been consuming mold in their bottles for up to 2 months!
I have 4 sets of valves/membranes/connectors and keep 2 sets at home (I pump maybe 2 or 3 times a week at home, tops) and the other 2 at work. Two of the sets were purchased right before I went back to work but I'm not 100% certain that I brought both of the new sets to work (I might have brought one old set and one new set).
I've been really lax at regularly sanitizing the parts, I just wash them out after each use with dish soap and hot water (or as hot as the work faucet gets) - flame away. I'm so mad at myself for not being more diligent.
A quick google search told me that this is common enough, but not much info on the effects on baby. Except for the scary google results about extreme mold consumption. Any thoughts while I wait for the pedi to call back?