Baby Showers

Gender Reveal Party

I know this has been asked on my monthly board...but it has been met with some ridicule. We plan on having friends and family over for dinner the night we have the anatomy scan. Anybody have a creative way to share the news in person besides balloons or cake?

Re: Gender Reveal Party

• VORVOR member
    How many people is this for? You say a dinner? is it being sold as "come for dinner" and you'll just happen to have the results, or is this being sold as a "sex reveal"? Honestly - if it's the prior, Im not as bothered by this. My friends had a party for me after I got PG (LONG path to get PG) and I happened to find out that week - so I made cupcakse w blue filling. But it was just a small add on to an already planned party. u
  • To be honest, the amount of time you spend planning anything "creative" will be more than the amount of time most people focus on the results. Yes, I'm sure people are interested and excited, but they'll be excited either way.

A dinner party where you just happen to have pink/blue cupcakes is a great plan.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • We are just having people over for dinner and will be telling them the sex then. I didnt know if anyone had a happy medium between putting in a lot of effort and just telling everyone. Its not all about me....its about letting everyone be part of our celebration....

as a note...if youve got nothing nice to say, then dont say anything...geesh

• You asked for opinions, you got them, just because someone doesn't blow sunshine up your butt and tell you that you have the most wonderful idea ever doesn't mean they're not being nice, it means they're being honest.
    Since we're off topic anyway... this phrase.   NOBODY WANTS sunshine up their butt.  Nor glitter.  Same thing goes for puppies up skirts.  Every time I see it, I think it would be a terrible way to pander.
  • its about letting everyone be part of our celebration....

as a note...if youve got nothing nice to say, then dont say anything...geesh

Um, who said anything rude? Don't tell me how to respond.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• VORVOR member
    We are just having people over for dinner and will be telling them the sex then. I didnt know if anyone had a happy medium between putting in a lot of effort and just telling everyone. Its not all about me....its about letting everyone be part of our celebration.... as a note...if youve got nothing nice to say, then dont say anything...geesh

A happy medium is just doing something simple like cupcakes, or... what have you ... after dinner.  It doesn't have to be an ANNOUNCMENT.

And being "a part of the celebration"... I kind of roll my eyes at that.  The BABY is what you should celebrate.  If the baby has a penis or vagina - why does that need a celebration?  Every.step of your pregnancy (or life, for that matter) doesn't now need to be parties and announcements and celebrations. 

Look - I enjoy finding out if my friends are having a boy or a girl.  I think it's a fun thing to find out.  But this has never entailed a party.  It's been a small announcement at a gathering, or it's telling me on the phone.  And I'm happy for them and Ilike knowing.

However, if I were truly invited to a party based JUST ON THIS, I would side-eye my friend.  This just isn't an event that needs to be an EVENT.  It really doesn't. 

• In all seriousness... why not just take the anatomy scan picture out of an envelope after/during dinner and say, "Oh by the way, guess what we did earlier this week... Our Ultrasound!" Then show them the picture with "girl" or "boy" and the little arrow pointing to the genetalia. Maybe it's because I'm a fuddydud, or perhaps its because I'm in the medical profession, but this truly to me seems like the only non-lame way to present the baby's sex and have it still be a fun and cute unexpected surprise for guests.  Anything else (to me) just would feel odd to me as a guest. Granted, if you did do some sort of cutesy reveal, I wouldn't hate you, and i certainly wouldn't complain to all my friends/your friends, or run to Facebook or thebump to talk about it. But I would leave thinking to myself "she really baked cupcakes and made that little presentation about her baby, that's a little silly.  But how exciting for them".  That's it.  I wouldn't be offended.  If you just did the little ultrasound thing I would get a kick out of it.  And I would still be just as excited for you.  But I wouldn't think it was lame at all.
  • Oy.

• Joy2611 said:
    Ugh.  Please, no sex reveal parties!  Not every. Little. thing. In your pregnancy deserves a party.

I cleaned the house today - PAAAAAAAAAARTY!  It's about that ridiculous.
    Can you come do mine and I'll give you cake? :D
    Baby Maloney due 8-3-14!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Anniversary

• I casually gave my mom and mil ornaments with 'boy' on them and blue glitter with a teddy bear inside (like those clear glass ornaments you can decorate yourself). since it isn't Christmas season, you could do tiny boxes for each guest with colored candies or goodies inside so they have something fun to take home.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Joy2611 said:

. Its not all about me....its about letting everyone be part of our celebration.... as a note...if youve got nothing nice to say, then dont say anything...geesh
    1. It is absolutely about you.  If it wasn't about big reactions and people surrounding you, then you'd just call them up on the phone like normal people and have a normal conversation.

2. Not everyone cares soooooooooo much about your child's genitals that they want to attend a party in their honor.  I mean it.

3. Less is ALWAYS more in this situation.

4. You asked about sex reveal parties.  You got honest responses.  Just because they don't agree with you doesn't mean they are mean - they are offering you another perspective that some of your guests might have.  Always good to have all the facts before you throw a party for your kid's vagina or penis.

Omg... this just made me think how awesome it would be, for a sex reveal party, to use those terrible tacky bachelor(ette) party decorations instead of boring baby decorations. What if instead of blue confetti, you used penis confetti?! THAT WOULD BE AMAZING
    I had a headband with two penisssssss (??peen-eye??) with flashing lights on them... Must wear!!
  • Joy2611 said:

. Its not all about me....its about letting everyone be part of our celebration.... as a note...if youve got nothing nice to say, then dont say anything...geesh
    1. It is absolutely about you.  If it wasn't about big reactions and people surrounding you, then you'd just call them up on the phone like normal people and have a normal conversation.

2. Not everyone cares soooooooooo much about your child's genitals that they want to attend a party in their honor.  I mean it.

3. Less is ALWAYS more in this situation.

4. You asked about sex reveal parties.  You got honest responses.  Just because they don't agree with you doesn't mean they are mean - they are offering you another perspective that some of your guests might have.  Always good to have all the facts before you throw a party for your kid's vagina or penis.

Omg... this just made me think how awesome it would be, for a sex reveal party, to use those terrible tacky bachelor(ette) party decorations instead of boring baby decorations. What if instead of blue confetti, you used penis confetti?! THAT WOULD BE AMAZING
    I had a headband with two penisssssss (??peen-eye??) with flashing lights on them... Must wear!!
    I die. 
    PAL JULY SIGGY CHALLENGE: CAKE WRECKS
    You Made me a mommy... 

Ticker id: ARvP

imageimageimageimageimage
     Lilypie - (KAFM)

• If you want to go all out and have an extravagant reveal party then by all means do it.

My family is really excited to find out so i was thinking of having the dr tell my aunt the sex. Having her get a cake and then just having dinner with the family and then me and the daddy cutting the cake. I think it would be a lot more fun and exciting that way :) 
  • BLC2013 said:

If you want to go all out and have an extravagant reveal party then by all means do it.

My family is really excited to find out so i was thinking of having the dr tell my aunt the sex. Having her get a cake and then just having dinner with the family and then me and the daddy cutting the cake. I think it would be a lot more fun and exciting that way :) 

This is what I did. And although not everyone liked it. I only invited the people with POSITIVE opinions. We loved our party and it was a great alternative to a shower(which we didn't want)

It's unfortunate that people are being so rude on here. You weren't asking for people's opinions of gender (or sex if it's that big of a deal, which it's not) reveal parties. But simply more creative ideas. I loved not knowing for my party I got to enjoy the surprise with everyone that came
  • Even though I am only just TTC now, I have already been planning my gender reveal. This is my MUST-HAVE for my pregnancy! Therefore, I have so many ideas!!

What about painting clothes pins and at the beginning of the night have everyone guess the sex, and then wear that color pin. 
    Also, as decoration (depending on how formal/casual your dinner is), you could have a chalkboard with old wives tales used to determine gender, and circle which ones apply to you, so later you can see if they are true or not. 

For the actual reveal:
    If you are serving Asian food, you could do fortune cookies, with special notes inside, "It's a girl" or "It's a boy"
    If you are serving Mexican food, you could do a pinata filled with pink and/or blue candy
    You could have a box hanging above, with a string to pull it open, and have blue or pink confetti in it, so when you pull it, you guys are showered with confetti (or glitter)
    You could also have little favors for guests, wrapped, and when they are unwrapped it would be mason jars with pink or blue M&Ms

There are so many ideas! Good luck! And tell us how it goes!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Actually, no I'm not. But, thanks for being rude. 

I love the idea of a gender reveal party! I cannot wait!! Totally not ashamed! I am a huge party planner, so it will so AMAZING! Although, mine will be a bigger event, probably appetizers, a main course, games, drinks (for those non-pregnant). My parents are in to throwing big events too.

Luckily, I have friends and family far more interested in this type of thing than you, so I am sure everyone will have a lovely time. :)

• Empireceo said:
    Seriously, LOL at all these Pinterest Party Planners.  

No puedo....
    I don't think there is anything wrong with Pinterest party planning, if the party is for a legit reason. Announcing the sex of your baby doesn't fall in that category.

I could be wrong but I think Bliss was referring to people who make a Pinterest board and then decide that makes them a party planner. Because I know way too many of those.
    This.  And then those who see it on Pinterest and have to have a party because, well, it's on Pinterest!
    Truth. I love Pinterest but so much of what I see on there makes my eyes roll out of their sockets.
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"