April 2014 Moms
Options

Help, my husband turns into hulk! Sorry so long...

Okay, I first want to say I love my husband very much. But wow, I know he works a long hard day but at night it is like a whole new person, a very unpleasant impatient and scary person.

For example he will be yelling at the twins (I feed one and he holds one/burp/feed) saying, "what the hell is wrong with you"!" "Dammit stop crying", " "what is your deal!" So I will say, "honey, she is just a baby maybe she needs a burp and then he is like I have been patting her back for 10 minutes (which I then say uh that was the other one) and he just gets mad and starts pounding her back with pats. He'll get so frustrated he puts her in the bassinet and tells her to cry it out he doesn't care...

When I tell him that they are just babies and to be patient he says he doesn't have any.

So then come morning he is so sweet and gives us kisses and tells me he loves us all and to call if I need anything.. And then put this on repeat every single night and morning.

Well since I am up feeding for what seems like half the night if they get off schedule, I am losing my patience with HIM and don't know what to do because every time I try and explain it to him or talk to him about it, he says he doesn't remember... Maybe if this was one child I could do the nights alone but with twins I just can't, it's too hard and my babies both need love and attention.

Anybody been through this or have suggestions? I am constantly telling him that I need his help but I can sit there and yell his name while 1 or 2 babies are screaming and he sleeps through it.

I know he feels a financial burden and has his business to run but it's just hard because I am already tired as it is and that is with someone coming to help me from noon to 5pm, hubby comes home around 8-9pm.

Re: Help, my husband turns into hulk! Sorry so long...

• Options
    ^^^ I couldn't have said it better. You need to reach out for help before something happens.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I agree with everyone else. I'd hate to see anything bad happen. Baby's are stressful, especially two, but it's not their fault and he needs to man up when he's home. He needs professional help and you need a person there to help as well.

• Options
    I recommend, too, asking for more help if he may not be helping. However, remember he loves you and is trying. It's a stressful time - be there for each him. Ask for help with babies and show him how to handle things little steps at time. With feeling overwhelmed he may need some hand-holding through the learning process. So, if you get he help you need from someone else, then you can introduce him to the "how-to's" in a less stressful way.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

DD on a recent trip to London. 3 yrs old.
    EDD 4/7/18
    MC 5/20/17 @8 wks
  • Options
    *sparky**sparky* member
    edited April 2014
    I am sorry you are going through this. I really am. I am sure you are overwhelmed and YH definitely sounds like he is too. I agree with the PPs that you need to intervene before something bad happens. Your babies are still so little and you guys have a long road ahead of you if he can't figure out how to cope.

Try to get someone to come stay with you to help with the night feedings in the short term. Then you need to sit down with YH and talk to him, not in the middle of the night when he is at his limit, but during the day when the more rational side takes over. This has the potential to be an unsafe situation for your LOs so I would act as soon as you can.

• Options
    @aviola329‌ @emh81‌ - I would love a PM of your experience if that is okay, thank you all for the feedback.

I had my husband's SIL help me for the 1st 3 weeks during nights so we have only had one week without help, she lives out of state and was sweet enough to come help me. His parents are out of state as well serving a religious mission. This is the only time I've actually missed my MIL.. My parents both work full time and all of our siblings have family.

My grandma passed away a week ago and if she left me any inheritance money it will definitely go towards a night nanny. My nanny during the day always tells me she can stay longer or stay a night but she's a senior in high school and I know her parents wouldn't be thrilled with that idea, but maybe come June, we can experiment with that.

I talked to him this morning and he helped me with the girls & apologized but when I said maybe we should go talk to someone about it he thought I was crazy and asked when we would even have the time.

There is one woman I feel like I could ask for help and if she talked to Marc he would really listen, I am calling her today. Maybe I'll ask some local twin moms if they know of any experienced night nannies.
  • Options
    I agree with and echo what has been said above. He needs and deserves help. He won't seek it for himself so you have to help him get there one way or another.
  • Options
    That would honestly scare me. Definitely look into help for him.
  • Options

I would suggest you both watch The Period of Purple Crying....it's about shaken baby but it offers good coping measures to deal with babies when emotions are high and how to watch for warning signs.

We watched it in the NICU, and I have reminded him of that and then he thinks that I think he is a bad father but I know he's not. And I know you all are right his mood swings need to get under control.
  • Options
    Sleep deprivation can bring out the worst in the best of people.

It is good to talk about it openly and when he gets to that point, he has to know that he needs to step away. Remind him that you understand how hard this time is, and know that it will get easier as they get older. In the meantime, Definitely see if you can call in reinforcements.
  • Options
    Everyone has given great advice. I'm sorry you are going through this and that it's so difficult to address the issue with him. It absolutely does not take a bad parent for something tragic to happen with regards to shaken baby syndrome. Frustration is a very normal reaction when adjusting to having a newborn in the house and it happens to the best of us, but it's very important for him to be aware of the healthiest strategies and resources for managing that stress. Best wishes to you.
    March 2017 September Siggy Challenge: Favorite Fall Things

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Twins are hard work! You have gotten a lot of good advice so far. You and your hubby both need sleep and respite. We've had someone from church over to give me a 2 hr nap in the afternoon every day. Family members coming at night to give us a break and a chance to eat or run errands. My parents work full time too, but have helped after work and on weekends. Accept all help offered and ask for more if you need it. Definitely work through the issues with DH but unless you both get some rest it will be hard to function as a team. Take care!!

IVF #1 Sep '11 - canceled poor response

IVF #2 Nov '11  8R/8M/4F 3dt x2 - chemical

IVF #3 April '12  11R/6M/4F 3dt x2 - m/c

FET #1 Aug 2012  3dt x2 - BFN

**new RE**

IVF #4 Jan '13 BFN 11R/6M/6F 5dt x2 - BFN

IVF #5 July '13 16R/10M/10F 5dt x2 + 1 frostie

9dp5dt Beta 1 = 344!! 16dp5dt. Beta 2 = 4822 7wk u/s= 2 heartbeats!

Twin girls! 3/6/14

• Options
    @nessabeers‌

I'm glad you were able to get through to your husband :)

I hope things continue to improve for you guys. Good luck!
  • Options
    glad you guys found some solid coping methods and were able to have a good, productive sit-down. Being able to accept behaviors in ourselves is sometimes really hard but it sounds like you are moving forward with purpose. Yay!
  • Options
    Glad to read this update this morning, and I hope the communication stays open! Seems like you two are working towards a positive future!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"