Breastfeeding
Options

Pumping and supply

With my DS, my supply seemed to go down as soon as I returned to work and started pumping regularly. I'm a little suspicious that that had to do with my weak pump and my DS never being a good BFer. Has anyone experienced this?

My DD is currently 5 weeks. I'd like to start pumping before I go back to work bc it gives me a little more freedom, but I don't want to affect my supply. All I've read about is nipple-confusion being a risk, but nothing about supply being affected. Anyone have any insight?

Re: Pumping and supply

• Options
    cnctfcnctf member
    I started pumping when DD was 3 weeks old to build a freezer stash. I was recommended to stop pumping so much because I was making my body think It needed to produce more. I've been back to work for 2 weeks now and think that my supply has gone down since returning..I pump enough to feed her the next day, but barely have any for a freezer stash.
    image=
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I didn't start pumping or bottle feeding until I went back to work with my first and - like I said - I had problems keeping up with demand. I have a new pump and good eater w this one, but still nervous. Oh yeah - and I got pregnant when my first was only six months. And yet...still nervous! I really would hate myself for messing it up just to leave the house for more than 2 hrs. I guess moms who have to go back to work right away figure it out, so Im sure I'm overreacting.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It's nipple ease/preference, but my heavily supplemented twins easily went between bottle and breast and are now EBFing. We used Playtex Natural Latch. As long as you pump anytime your LO would normally be BFing, supply should not be affected.
    Natural m/c Oct. 2005

Dx: balanced translocation and LPD

TTC since Oct 2011

BPF 02/19/12, EDD 10/31/12, natural m/c 02/28/12 (4w6d)

IVF (BCPs starting 10/30/12, ER 11/18/12, 5dt of 1 beautiful, healthy embryo 11/23/12)
    BFP 12/02/12, u/s @ 6w,5d showed 2 HBs! Identical twins!!
    Bed rest from 21w-35w due to short cervix, hospital bed rest from 23w-32w due to PTL
    Our rainbows were born 07/19/13 (36w, 5d)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"