May 2012 Moms

Small Victory

I've given serious thought to starting the process of weaning DD. She will be two in about 5 weeks and I never planned to nurse her this long. I had hoped that she would self-wean but the doesn't seem to be the case and it even feels as if she wants to nurse more during the day when I'm home from work. She typically nurses 3-4 times a day (including nap and bed times) and 2-3 during the night. We co-sleep so the nursing sessions aren't horrible at night but I'm still ready to be done with it.

This past weekend was my first attempt at weaning. My first goal was to cut out all nursing sessions not associated with sleep. On Saturday, DD cried for about 20 minutes when I didn't nurse her at mid-morning. She kept trying to drag me to the "chair" that we normally nurse in. I just refused and sat on a different couch. When she finally calmed down she came and sat on my lap and we just cuddled and I gave her and apple and some water and she was fine. I refused to sit in the chair all day long and she didn't ask to nurse again (except sleep times). That night she only nursed once! On Sunday, I continued to sit on the opposite couch and she didn't ask to nurse outside of sleep times. It was awesome! And around the time she would normally be ready to nurse she actually went and got her sippy cup and drank a whole cup of water. I was so proud of her! And get this....she only woke up once last night and went back to sleep on her own, didn't nurse the entire night!!!

I'm ecstatic at her progress and so happy that she is adapting to the new schedule. I know that it's only been a few days and I expect some regression but I really hope this is leading to a path of being completely weaned by her birthday. Yay DD!!!!

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary

Re: Small Victory

• Nice work! I'm pretty much down to nap and bed time but I have a feeling I'm going to have a 5 year old that nurses the way weaning is going. I was saying this its my punishment for judging people who nurse too long. I guess this is the whole walk a mile in their shoes thing
  • I haven't even attempted weaning and am planning to let DD self wean. She still nurses every 2-3 hours during the day and 1-4 times a night. I'm glad weaning is going so well for you.
  • Loading the player...
  • ebl2ebl2 member
    Weaning was the hardest thing for me (emotionally) and I'm so proud of you for sticking to your guns. I stopped nursing March 22nd and before that we were still nursing about 2 or 3 times a day. I decided to go cold turkey because every time I tried to eliminate feedings to whittle it down to nothing she never got used to the smaller amount. It's been going great for us too, she still asks for it but is okay with me telling her no. She hasn't flipped out about it thank goodness. Like you though, when I started to eliminate nursing sessions back in November that's when she started sleeping through the night. Amazing how that works isn't it?  
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 

image   image

• Thanks ladies!

DD did good yesterday but did get sad when I didn't nurse her when I got home from work. She also woke up to nurse twice, but I'm not too concerned about that. I know that as time goes on it will continue to get better.

@eczerkies- yes it is amazing that they start to sleep better when they nurse less!

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary

• That's great!! Lucas nurses more at night on the days he doesn't nurse during the day :( we are most down to 4am is, mid morning if were home and not busy if we're busy or out he doesn't ask, and evening after pjs as we settle down for the night. I also only nurse on one side now and cut the time of each session shorter than he'd go on his own. As much as I'm going to be sad when it's really over I'm ready to start weaning plus I told dh at two we'd be done, he thought after one was weird.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Untitled
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"