2nd Trimester

Vacation in the Rockies

Hubby and I are planning a vacation in Colorado. I will be 23 weeks at the time we go. My only concern is, we live in OK. What will the altitude change do? I've read mixed reviews and have seen good and bad. Keep in mind, I exercise regularly and do CrossFit and am 25 years old. No health problems for me. I have also been to Colorado a few times before (not pregnant then), and I know that altitude will make you short of breath and you need to drink plenty of water. We plan on hiking up a 14er (which I've done before).
imageimage

Re: Vacation in the Rockies

• I was just in Colorado...and also live in Oklahoma.  I actually took it pretty easy, but would have gone cross country skiing had the family wanted to - I would have just taken it slow and easy.  I didn't go downhill, as I suck, and didn't want to worry about wiping out. (I was 16 weeks)

I will say that when we landed in Denver I felt pretty nauseous for the first time in a couple months.  The smell in the airport bathrooms was overly air-freshnery and it got to me.  Luckily I had Zofran in my purse...that and lots of water did the trick.  

Have a nice time!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I live in Utah (Intermountain West more than Rockies), but still live my daily life above 5000' elevation.  I feel fine.  Just remember to drink a ton of water!

• Loading the player...
  • amycothrum7amycothrum7 member
    edited March 2014
    Thanks everyone! Talked to my OB and he said since I'm so active I should be fine. Just listen to my body.
    imageimage
  • I live in CO at 6500 feet as well... sounds like you have a good grasp on handling it. I would just say make sure you are careful about staying very hydrated!
    BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • It seems like you have a good handle on how to handle changes in altitude. My concern is your desire to do some major hiking (up a 14er)?

I lived in Colorado during my first pregnancy (so I was used to living at about 7,000 feet) and it was not recommend to do lots of strenuous activity above 10,000 feet. Even visiting places 10,000 ft + for even the day or a couple hours was much harder on me. Breathing in general will be a lot harder and so will physical activity in your 2nd & 3rd trimester.

Obviously you know your body best and you already consulted with your doctor but I would be concerned about the plan to hike up a mountain...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

• I was born and raised on Colorado and moved to Texas a few years ago. I recently went to Colorado to see family and was 25 weeks pregnant. The only difference I noticed was how sleepy I felt. DH and DS also slept a lot so I'm assuming it was due to the altitude. Besides that I didn't notice anything else.
  • argonneargonne member
    edited March 2014
    I seriously question doing the 14er. I live in CO and getting up above 10000' gets me a little loopy and short of breath.  I am also very fit (competitive triathlete who races in CO)

• I live in KS and will be going to Denver when I'm about 25 weeks...the most strenuous activity I'm planning on doing is some shopping! I'm also nervous about how altitude will affect me, I've never had issues before but you never know. Have a good trip!

TTC #1 Since October 2012
    DX PCOS May 2013
    Clomid 50-150mg- No Response
    Moved to RE October 2013
    Nov. 2013: IUI #1 Letrozole + Ovidrel = BFN
    Dec. 2013: IUI #2 Letrozole + Ovidrel= BFP on 1/8/2014 !! EDD 9/17/2014
    Beta #1 (12 dpo): HCG 27, Progesterone 15 (starting on supplements)
    Beta #2 (15 dpo): HCG 297, Progesterone 29
    Beta #3 (17 dpo): HCG 667, Progesterone 34
    1st Ultrasound 1/28 (6 weeks + 1) Baby measuring exactly as it should, HB 118!
    2nd Ultrasound 2/5 Baby measuring 7w4d, HB 133. Everything looks perfect!
    3rd Ultrasound 4/29 (A/S) Our Baby BOY is measuring perfectly and everything looked great! HB160
    Diagnosed with Pre-E at 36 weeks, placed on bed rest, induction schedule for 37 weeks. 

BFP #2 on 7/30/15 EDD 4/7/16 MC @ 9 weeks
    BFP #3 on 7/23/16 EDD 3/30/16
  • DH and I have decided to take a vacation in Branson instead. We only like going to CO if we can do a fourteener. so we'll save that for another time.
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"