Trying to Get Pregnant

Where do you buy swimsuits?

So, H and I are going on our first real vacation together. Seriously. It's been almost 6 years, but most of that time vacations have been visiting each other when we were long-distance or, since we're far away from family, visiting them. Which is fine, really, but my best friend got a fantastic deal on a beach house that's in Galveston, so only a bit over 3 hours from us, and invited H and I to join her family. It's going to be H and I and my best friend and her husband and 3 kids under the age of 6 (who are my favorite kids ever) for 5 days. We're so pumped.

Dilemma: I have no swimsuit. I think the last one I got was when I walked into a Walmart randomly and just picked up the first thing I saw. I have no idea where it is (I haven't worn one in over 3 years). I've been hunting a little (Target, Old Navy) but they just seem flimsy. I'm not opposed to spending some money on one because we're also hoping to go tubing this summer with friends and there's a kick-ass waterpark we'd like to visit (Schitterbahn) that's near where we live. I have no idea where to start looking and where has suits that are worth the money.

I want something that covers a fair amount, but one pieces tend to look odd on me because I have a long torso, so I'm thinking tankini with high rise bottoms (given my noted appreciation of granny panties, I like a high waist). I want something that can stand up to running after kids and a waterpark. I'm not wild about the full-on swim skirts, I feel like they look a little more matronly than even I feel like being.

Also, am on the cusp of plus sized to regular sized. The good thing about this vacation is that no one's going to care about the size of my ass, so it just has to be comfortable and look decent. Bonus points for an okay coverup. Any help is appreciated, I feel like I have no idea where to look. TIA.

TTC #1 since 11/2012
Me-31, H-27
**Loss 1-Cycle 7(June 2013) at 5w6d-CP**Loss 2-Cycle 11(October 2013) at 5w4d-CP**
**Loss 3-Cycle 14 (January-February 2014)-M/C dx 2/10, EP dx 2/24, MTX 2/25**
Beta Hell--hCG finally down to 0 - 6/20/14
SA normal. Genetic testing normal. Hormonal testing normal.
HSG 6/30/14 - found blocked left tube and 2 'bubbles' on uterine wall.
Hysteroscopy/Lap--8/4/14 - Tubes unblocked. Polyps removed from uterine wall. Septum removed.
 9/30/14--Off the bench! Unmedicated TI through December 2014
BFP 12/14/14!!! Beta #1, 12/16: 990 Beta #2, 12/18: Over 2000! Beta #3, 12/22: over 8000!
 U/S #1, 12/23: gestational sac, possible heartbeat
U/S #2, 12/30: HEARTBEAT! 128bpm, measuring right on at 7w EDD: 8/19/2015
U/S #3, 1/9: BPM in the 180s, IT'S HAPPENING!!!
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Where do you buy swimsuits?

• kwickskwicks member
    edited April 2014
    I got 2 really cute ones from ModCloth last year- I get tons of compliments on them, and are really comfy.

I also really like Victoria Secret. They have tops that fit large-chested ladies like me.

I definitely think it's worth it to splurge on bathing suits. I would rather fork out to look and feel great. And have something that lasts!

ETA- my fav from ModCloth is called beach blanket bingo in red. I'm mobile, otherwise I'd add a link. It's cute, and really flattering.

Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers Anniversary

• I have found better quality suits at places like Kohls, JCPenny and Macys.
    Married June 2008 DD Born Nov 2011 TTC #2 Since March 2013
    4/8/2014 BFP ---- 4/10/14 c/p
    imageimage image
  • Loading the player...
  • I am just at the beginning of plus sized but I have a huge chest. My favorite suit I own right now is from Lane Bryant but I also have one from Old Navy I like too. I only wear Tankinis can't stand the one piece and now I have to pee dilemma.
    imageimage image
  • Sorry so many posts :) For your long torso look for the Tankinis with the ruching and the ties on the side. These are usually longer than most and you can let it down more to cover more of your torso. The one I love from lane Bryant was like that and the ruching was flattering. I actually had so much room to let it down I even wore it when I was pregnant. Now that I'm not, I just cinch it up more and it still looks good.
    imageimage image
  • I am just at the beginning of plus sized but I have a huge chest. My favorite suit I own right now is from Lane Bryant but I also have one from Old Navy I like too. I only wear Tankinis can't stand the one piece and now I have to pee dilemma.
    Ooooh, I hate that. I had a really cute one piece, but it's not worth the bother.

TTC #1 since 11/2012
    Me-31, H-27
    **Loss 1-Cycle 7(June 2013) at 5w6d-CP**Loss 2-Cycle 11(October 2013) at 5w4d-CP**
    Hysteroscopy/Lap--8/4/14 - Tubes unblocked. Polyps removed from uterine wall. Septum removed.
    BFP 12/14/14!!! Beta #1, 12/16: 990 Beta #2, 12/18: Over 2000! Beta #3, 12/22: over 8000!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I love my Land's End swimsuit. It's a bikini but the bottom is a skirt. They have a ton of styles for lots of body types. And you can return anything at a Sears store. I wasn't sure what size bottoms to get so I ordered two and returned one to the local Sears.
  • I just found out that Torrid sells bathing suits! They sell size 12 and up, and their clothing is good quality. Some of their suits have underwires and/or padding built in, depending on if bust size is a concern. A bonus: they're damn cute and stylish!

I've also had good luck with Lands End, I have a tankini/halter top suit from them that I still wear and love.

BabyFruit Ticker  image
  • I have had really good luck at JcPennys. Not a bad selection and the prices are good. 

https://31.media.tumblr.com/0e004fc06de8560c7b08afd8da184426/tumblr_inline_mxveimFLAn1s4d130.gif
                                                                             Me: 28  H: 28  DS: 4
    [TTC Since October 2013] [ BFP 1.27.15  EDD: 10.8.15]
    I WEAR ORANGE FOR MY GRANDMA- SUPPORT KIDNEY CANCER AWARENESS
    Trinitrotoluene: "My ears have been deflowered
....my mouth just hasn't been!"

BabyFruit Ticker 
                                        BabyFetus Ticker
  • Another vote for Victoria's Secret. I haven't bought a bathing suit elsewhere for years.They have lots of tankinis, too.

• My string bikinis I get from Walmart. My tankinis I get from target. I buy a new suit every summer but I wear it every day to go swimming and it holds up!
    I love board shorts :)
  • Lands End!  I always get my suits from there- I do both bikini and one piece, and I've always had a huge selection. They also have a bunch of cover ups there. They have suits for ALL sizes there and you'll find plenty that aren't skimpy.  They aren't always the cheapest, but I figure it's worth it for a suit I feel good in. (and that lasts).
    (Zoe Claire- born at 33.6 weeks- November 19, '14 - 5lbs 15oz)
  • I like Victoria Secret because they have some tops with bra sizing, underwire, and formed cups. That's what my boobs need.
    **siggy warning**  **everyone welcome**

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    DS- 11.07.02
    DSS- 6.26.04
    Married- 6.29.13
    TTC Again- Sept. 2013
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Test Results/Diagnosis- HSG & SA totally normal
    DX: 3/2014 Prolactinoma/Hyperprolactinemia- Started cabergoline 2/2014
    5/2014 Possible mild PCOS in addition to hyperprolactinemia??
    7/2014 Adding probable tubal factor to the diagnosis list
    9/2014 And now adding hypothyroid to the list- Started synthroid 9/2014
    Cycles 1-4 - Sept.-March- All Anovulatory 
    IUI #1 March/April-  Clomid 50mg + Clomid 100mg +Trigger + IUI #1 = BFN
     IUI #2 April/May-Clomid 100mg + Clomid 150mg + Trigger + IUI #2 + Endometrin=BFN
    IUI #3- June- Follistim 75iu + Trigger + IUI #3  Benched due to a 40 mm cyst. :-(
    IUI #3- July- Follistim 75iu + Trigger + IUI #3 + Endometrin = BFP! on 7/25/14
    Slowly rising betas - Ectopic suspected on 8/8/14 & confirmed on 8/11/14
    Methotrexate on 8/12/14 -HCG negative on 9/2/14
    IVF #1- November- Antagonist protocol: 11/1: start stims, 200iu of Follistim; 11/12 ER 17R/14M/14F; 11/17 5 day transfer of two blasts, 2 blasts and 2 expanding morulas frozen; 11/22 BFP!! (On FRER at 5dp5dt)
    Betas: 9dp5dt 205, 11dp5dt 497, 14dp5dt 1,709
    u/s at 5w0d- 1 sac; u/s at 6w0d 1 baby with heartbeat, another sac without a heartbeat

• I've gotten a lot of my swimsuits from Venus swimwear https://m.venus.com/default.aspx

I have also found some great ones at Kohl's.

Good luck! I hope you find something. I'm so jealous of your vacation!
    Me: 30 DH 28
    TTC since March 2013
    DH, SA normal count, slow swimmers
    NTNP as of 7/1/14
    Back to TTC as of 8/2014
    1st RE appointment October 2014, everything looks good both of us healthy and normal
    Clomid and IUI first cycle November 2014:BFN 
    Clomid and IUI December 20, 2014: BFP 1/4/15!!

Untitled

• Another vote for VS swimwear. The price is right and being able to customize your size for the top and the bottom, along with a ton of different styles, is great. I'm also a sucker for all the bright colors and cute patterns.

BabyFetus Ticker
    It's a GIRL! EDD 2.6.15

• I'm chunky so... Lane Bryant. 
  • While I am sure that VS quality can't be beat, I've never spent that  kind of money on a swimsuit. I buy from Target usually.
    Me: 33 DH: 31
    DD: 10 (born August 2004)
    Married 03/01/14
    TTC#2
    BFP: 05/17/2014 EDD: 1/25/15 MMC: 06/30/2014
    BFP: 01/31/15 MMC: 02/25/15 

• Since we have a pool and I swim a lot I need bathing suits that hold up. I've bought a couple of target ones but they don't last a season. Also I'm a 34 dd so I've got to have a good top. Last year I went to a local bra store and bought 2 because I was pregnant and those 34dd's were 34f. Now they are to big :-( I've heard good things of lands end so I'm going to try them this year.

It all depends on your bust size on where you can get a bathing suit. If you are big busted you are going to have to splurge. I miss my 34c days when I could buy bathing suits anywhere.
    Fucking bump!!!!
  • +1 for Lands End

DS born Oct. '11

TTC #2 with PCOS since Nov. '13

Dx: Low Progesterone (3.3) on 8/12/14

Waiting for RE appointment on 10/28/14

Surprise BFP on cycle 12 -- 10/19/14!

EDD July 1, 2015

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Ok so I just purchased about 15 bathing suits for my trip because I had such a hard time finding stuff that I liked.

Lands End suits were definitely the best quality but also the most expensive.  If you don't have a Sears card, I suggest going to Sears and trying on the suits there (if you call Lands End, they will tell you which stores have the best selection for the sizes you are looking for) and then opening up a Sears card to get discounts.

The selection at kohls did not make me happy at all this year - they all went back - very cheap when normally I love their stuff.  However, I was also looking a little earlier than swimsuit season.

For full on plus size, I had the best luck at www.catherines.com - in fact, the two that I kept were from there.
    BFP #1 09/26/2013 EDD 06/04/2013 MMC 11/01/2013
    BFP #2 05/15/2014 EDD 01/24/2015

Pregnancy Ticker

• www.swimsuitsforall.com - AWESOME deals.  That's where C, my mom, and myself last bought swimsuits.  You can buy a couple for the price of one.  It's pretty sweet :) I am a vacation hoar so I always have my swimsuit handy!

• Another vote for Lands End and Lane Bryant.  My LE suit has held up for over 5 years and I'm on year 3 with my LB suit.
    imageimage
    Me: 33     DH: 38
    TTC since August 2011
    DX:  PCOS and subseptate uterus
    August 2013:  Clomid + Trigger + IUI TI = BFN
    September 2013:  Clomid + Trigger + TI = BFN
    October 2013:  Clomid + Trigger + IUI canceled
    November 2013:  NTNP
    April 2013:  Femara + Trigger + IUI = ???
  • Wow, sounds like a fun vacation!! I buy all mine from Victoria Secret and have always been very happy with them. Good quality and I like the ability to mix and match the pieces to get exactly what I want. Have fun!!!

Trying to have baby #1 since April 2013

DH SA March,May 2014 - Low motility and shape issues. On vitamins per RE to help

Me testing April 3, 2014 - FSH and LH good, HSG showed blocked right tube

April 29, 2014 - First RE appt., right tube needs to be removed and possibly left also if

it's bad too. RE suggests going straight to IVF

June 4, 2014 - LAP/HSC and unexpected endo. removed but tubes got to stay!

June 13, 2014 - Post-Op appointment. We decide where to go next since main issue

is MFI influenced. Trying naturally until decision... Repeat SA  in September. Aiming for IUI #1 November 2014.

• twink0073 said:
    Lol at Schitterbahn. I'm pretty sure you meant Schlitterbahn? =))
    Bwahahahaha. I was a couple of drinks in when I wrote this last night and knew I would make a mistake.

Thank you all so much! I have lots of websites to visit and probably a mall trip this week. I'm feeling much better about my odds of finding something that I like now!

TTC #1 since 11/2012
    Me-31, H-27
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • www.swimsuitsforall.com - AWESOME deals.  That's where C, my mom, and myself last bought swimsuits.  You can buy a couple for the price of one.  It's pretty sweet :) I am a vacation hoar so I always have my swimsuit handy!

Can you really buy swimsuits online? i could never.  I'm a pretty solid size.. I can typically choose the proper ones. I can get my jeans online because I often buy same brand, size, style. So I know how they fit.  All bathing suits fit me SO differently. Some look horrid, some OK, some great.  I could buy 20 suits online and probably find 1 or 2 that look great. Boo!
    (Zoe Claire- born at 33.6 weeks- November 19, '14 - 5lbs 15oz)

Can you really buy swimsuits online? i could never.  I'm a pretty solid size.. I can typically choose the proper ones. I can get my jeans online because I often buy same brand, size, style. So I know how they fit.  All bathing suits fit me SO differently. Some look horrid, some OK, some great.  I could buy 20 suits online and probably find 1 or 2 that look great. Boo!
    The site teaches you how to measure yourself.  I have a short torso but I'm also chubby so my sizing is specific.  If you have a tape measure then you can certainly buy a swimsuit from this website.  Once you know your size you can pick from any style or color!  It's great :) I hate swimsuit shopping - this makes it so much easier.
  • VS. Theirs are great quality and last for years. I've also had a Gap one that lasted a while, but I phased it out because I was over the style.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Athleta. Hands down the best swim wear I've ever owned. They offer free returns too. The suits are sporty, some cute tops even come bra sized for dd's and are made to move around in. They can be expensive but are worth every penny.

@musicfanatic I buy a ton of stuff online but ship it back from work :)
    BFP #1 09/26/2013 EDD 06/04/2013 MMC 11/01/2013
    BFP #2 05/15/2014 EDD 01/24/2015

Pregnancy Ticker

• I could never buy a swim suite online. That's me. I buy from everything but water. My swim suites last for years or until I loose/ gain to much weight for them. Intamacy (specialty bra store) also sells nice swim suites. I've never bought swimwear from them tho. I have bought a couple of times from Nordstroms and they have lasted me a long time.

If going to Schlitterbahn I just get something inexpensive from Walmart.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"