July 2014 Moms

Daycare question- Typical age range in a room

I talked to a daycare and they told me they have infant/toddler rooms instead of just infant rooms. The age range is 6w- 21mths in the same room, with a max of 8 children. They also so they always have 2 teachers in the room. I'm concerned about the age range being so wide in the same room. Is this normal?

My only point of reference is another center I toured. It has a 6w- 12mth room, 12- 24mth, etc. The infant room has two teachers and a capacity for 10.

Re: Daycare question- Typical age range in a room

• Depends on the size on the daycare. DS's daycare the infant room is 6wks-walking, 1 year old room, 2 year old room, and 2 preschool aged classrooms. They always have at least 2 teachers in the room. I like this better because he is with kids who are pretty much the same age, and learning is differentiated between each of the ages.
    Married 02.06.10
    DS1 born 11.19.11
    DS2 born 07.02.14

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• We have used two different centers. Both had 6w-12m in a room, then 12-18 (or 12-24 depending on how many kids they had in those age ranges...) 6w to 21m seems like a big span to me.
  • Loading the player...
  • I worked in a place where it was divided@ ~12 mo. I teach music classes where there are infant-18 mo old. It gets hairy with more experienced walkers in the same room as lap babies/crawlers, IMO. But there are some positives too- older ones set examples for younger. Did you get to see the rooms a little? If they were capped at 8 it may not be that bad. Also, they may group it within that range if possible- but a smaller center my not have enough children to do that. IF you had a chance to see the room a bit, you may see how it functions, if you're comfortable with the children/age ranges. Not sure if they'd do that, though.
    imageimage"">

• At our daycare, the infant room is 3 months - 1 year, the toddler room is 1 year - 2 years, early preschool is 2 - 3 years, preschool is 3 - 4 years, pre-K is 4 - 5 year and primary is 5 - 6 years.

It's definitely something to consider because while older kids can help your child learn new skills, they can be rougher and teach them non-age appropriate things (more of an issue as they get older). Our school tries to move up the rougher kids a little earlier, but it's not always possible due to enrollment.

• DD's school did 6 weeks - 15 months in the infant room. There were 8 babies and 2 teachers. DD was ready to move on by 15 months. She was much happier with more activities and structure. The toddler room was 15-24 months, then 2s together, 3 and 4 together, and 5s in the junior kindergarten class.

Lilypie Maternity tickers

BFP#2 7/3/13.  U/S at 6w4d showed 1 heartbeat at 127 bmp and 2 empty sacs.  MMC discovered at 10w4d.  D&C 8/27/13.  Pathology showed normal boy.  Missing our babies every day.
    BFP#3 10/29/13!  Beta#1 at 4w5d - 2141, beta#2 at 5w1d - 7651!  U/S 11/21/13 showed baby measuring 2 days ahead with a heartbeat of 127 bmp!
  • We are looking at a church based daycare that does 3 months-3 years but there is different curriculum for the different ages and they do different things.

TTC #1 since 10/2012.
    BFP#1 11/28/12, MC, BFP #2 CP
    BFP #3 10/21/2013, EDD 7/3/2014
    Beta #1 (4W6D): 1768 Beta #2 (5W1D): 5255
    1st US at 6W4D HB of 112 BPM!

1/20/2014: IT'S A GIRL!

6/30/2014: Happy birthday baby M!

• DS's was not that wide an age range, but I would guess it all depends on the size of the place.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • This is a pretty large center from what I understand, but I don't have specific #'s. It just didn't sit well with me over the phone. That and they also stated they require proof of income, even though I would be private pay and don't have state assistance or anything. Something about maybe qualifying for scholarships...

I may go visit/ tour and see what kind of vibe I get.

• I just don't see that big a place having that large a range in one class. DS's place has Babies (up to 12 mos), Toddlers (12-24 mos), Two year olds (24-36), Three year olds (36-48), etc. Ratios and max capacities are regulated and they are at/near teacher ratios for each group.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would be afraid of an older child that is super mobile maybe getting a little to rough with a younger one. I mean it only takes a second. It does seem that the norm is 6 weeks-12 months. Good luck and I hope you find something you are happy with.
  • I work in the toddler room (12-24 months) at a preschool and what you described sounds insane and a little bit dangerous. I've never heard of such a broad age range and I'm curious how napping works.
  • Depends on the school, I worked in a very small school with just 20 kids. We had two rooms one for 6w-2/2.5yr depending on ratio. We had two areas in the room so we could separate them at times with a gate and the 2 teachers were usually in charge of kids around the same age.
  • I work at a childcare center that has an infant room, which ranges 6 weeks-2 years, then a 2 year old room, 3 year old room, and preschool room for 4 year olds.
    image          image

• Where we are taking our daughter there are two infants rooms broken into an age range of 6 weeks-mobile. Then mobile to 18 months. It's one of the reasons I chose this daycare.

Mom to one beautiful July '14 little girl

• The 18 month cut off sounds perfect. I think 12 -24 months is extremely challenging because they are in such different places developmentally.
  • The one I worked at was by year, so up to 12m, then 12m-24m, etc. The infant room was 3 kids to 1 teacher. I wouldn't say that age range is horrible as 6m can usually sit by themselves and be more involved but not ideal in my mind. 
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Ours is more based on development. My DS moved out out the baby room around 14 months- I think they gauge it based on walking/ability to push cribs around/be too "rough" around the babies. But I know some kids younger than him are still in the baby room, and other babies were moved up around 12 mos who were already walking well, etc.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • BP607BP607 member
    Our DC just switched to an infant room (6w-16 months) and then 16 months to preschool, usually around 3.  Before that they had infants all the way up to preschool, but the infants were in a separate area.  I like the new arrangement much better.  
  • Our center does infant - 15 months with 3 babies tops to one teacher. Next is toddlers 15 months - 2.9 years with 2 teachers but if they have at least 3 kids in the 12 months to 18 months range they open the infant/toddler room just for that group.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • DD's school has an infant room of 6 weeks - 12 months (ish) in one room, though they are split into 3 sections in that one room, so it's really 6 weeks - till they sit, sitting to about 9 ish months, and then 9-12 months. This entire room is a 1:3 ratio.  The next room (young toddler) is 12-15 months with a 1:3 ratio. The next room (toddler) is 15-24 months ish with a 1:4 ratio.  The next room (early preschool) is 24-36 months with a 1:5 ratio.  

I would be really nervous with that big of an age range in the infant room, especially where older children were allowed to actually be around and could touch a smaller child.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"