Multiples
Options

For those exclusively pumping, how many oz per day are you pumping?

I've been mainly EPing for my twins for a few weeks now, with some formula supplementation as needed. My goal is to pump enough so that I don't have to supplement anymore, so I'm getting serious about increasing my supply. Each day I'm trying to pump a little more by adding an extra pumping session or chugging more water or whatever. Just wondering, how many ounces per day are other EPers getting? Seems like to sustain twins, one would need to pump around 50-70 ounces per day, which is a lot! So far I'm only up to 40oz and it took 10 sessions. Thanks!!!

Re: For those exclusively pumping, how many oz per day are you pumping?

• Options
    Im supplementing a lot because I only get about 2-4 oz per session (8x /day). There arent enough hours in the day to pump as much as Id need to keep up with my 2. Im hoping to transition them to BF so that should help.

IVF #1 Sep '11 - canceled poor response

IVF #2 Nov '11  8R/8M/4F 3dt x2 - chemical

IVF #3 April '12  11R/6M/4F 3dt x2 - m/c

FET #1 Aug 2012  3dt x2 - BFN

**new RE**

IVF #4 Jan '13 BFN 11R/6M/6F 5dt x2 - BFN

IVF #5 July '13 16R/10M/10F 5dt x2 + 1 frostie

9dp5dt Beta 1 = 344!! 16dp5dt. Beta 2 = 4822 7wk u/s= 2 heartbeats!

Twin girls! 3/6/14

• Options
    Have you checked out kellymom? It's a great BFing resource.

https://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/basics/maintainsupply-pump/

I don't EP, but I did have to when my babies were born bc they were in the NICU and I do work FT, so I pump 3x a day on days I work.

I remember that the babies were up to close to 2oz until 6ish weeks and then we increased a quarter to half ounce at a time until we got to 4oz bottles. I briefly went up to 4.5oz around 5-6mo but now they eat 3 meals so we're back down to 4oz bottles. They bf/bottle 6-8x.

For those 3 pumping sessions I average about 20oz total and the six bottles they get when I'm gone total 24oz. I added in an am pump for a while and am now living off my stash to bridge the gap until they hit one year.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    The most I ever pumped was ~55oz per day, and I still had to supplement some. My girls regularly ate 30-32oz between 2 and 9 months (give or take). AND that was upped calorie BM...not sure if they would have even wanted MORE in the absence of the fortification. But, them eating a ton was a good problem, I figure. :)

I stayed well ahead of their intake while in the NICU so I didn't need to officially start supplementing until they were about 9m old, but it was almost a relief to get to that stage and rip off the '100 BF' bandaid/stigma BS and just realize I was doing an amazing thing for my girls, and a handful of oz of formula won't kill anyone (and it's stupid I had that baggage, to begin with).

That said, I've said the only way I was able to get up to that output is because basically all I did was pump the 3 months the girls were in the NICU. Literally. 12+ sessions per day, multiple power pumping sessions, everything. I have no idea how that would have been possible with actual babies. You're amazing!!
    TTC Since 11/10 due to Unexplained IF 
    4 Rounds of Clomid, 2 Rounds of Femara + IUI, 2 rounds of IUI+ Injectables (Bravelle + Menopur) = First BFP! TWIN GIRLS!

November 2, 2012 - Claire (2lbs 8.9oz) and Paige (2lbs 10oz) arrive at 29w3d due to PTL and pPROM at 28w5d 
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Due to weak latches I started EPing at 3 days. Babies are now 5 months. I'm getting 65-70 oz per day. In the beginning I religiously pumped every 2-2.5 hrs during the day and every 3-4 hrs at night. I make sure to eat & drink a lot. I'm still pumping at least 7 times per day. I'm afraid to drop pumps and loose ounces.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for sharing, it's always nice to hear how other MoMs manage. Wow carrotcake06.
  • Options
    My boys are almost 4 months and I have been EP since day 1 when I needed to send it to the NICU. It's no joke how much work it is for two babies!! I've been back to work for 3 weeks now and have stayed steady at 4-5 pumps a day, yielding approx 40-50oz total. I'm still able to freeze about a bag per day and have quite the stash accumulated. Keep up the hard work, Momma! You're doing great!
  • Options
    rn8rn8 member
    I EPd  for my twins for a year.  They received formula supplementation as well.  I think my max was 55-60oz/day? I pumped 8-10 times per day (really 24 hour period).   I would try to pump every 2.5 hours during the day and then I could give myself a 5 hour stretch at night.  For a few months they each had 1 small formula bottle at night.  Around 7-8 months, I started to cut myself some slack and dropped a few sessions and their intake was probably 50/50 BM/Formula.  Chugging water and eating really helped keep my supply up.  Eat filling food... you'll burn it off no worries! 

B/G twins born 5/12

• Options
    I'm having a lot of trouble pumping enough for a full day. My girls are in the NICU and their feedings go up everyday. My supply dwendles throughout the day until I can visit the babies. Seeing them gives me a boost but I'm still post OP and have to wait until late in the day to get a ride. I'm of the mind set to not stress about the ounces too much. Do what you can and supplement when you have to. It's so hard to set aside the guilt!
  • Options
    I have been EPing since day 1 and get anywhere from 60-70 oz a day, which is enough to feed them for the next day plus stash some as well.  I've been taking Fenugreek to help with supply since they were about 2 weeks old and that has seemed to help.  I also try to pump for a few minutes after my milk as stopped.  LC told me that sends a signal to the brain to increase supply.
  • Options
    megs2011megs2011 member
    edited April 2014

I EP in the beginning (Babies were in the SCN for 4 weeks) for about 3 months. I was pumping anywhere from 50-70oz a day (I was a milk machine apparently).

ETA: I was pumping every 3 hours.

• Options
    So it is possible to pump 70oz a day! Very cool, I'm going to keep working on it. Maybe I'll try the Fenugreek.
  • Options
    I EP'ed when my twins were in the NICU and for a while after, and I probably maxed out at 40-50 ounces per day (in 7-8 sessions). I built up a huge freezer stash but exhausted it pretty quickly. I had difficulty BFing and couldn't pump enough once they came home and their needs increased.
    imageimage

• Options
    I had an extreme oversupply. I pumped every 3-4hrs for the first 4 months and got approx 72oz per day. I left the hospital with a storage bag of milk (well more like colostrum) because my very first time pumping about 6hrs after birth I got an oz. then by the end of our 4day hospital stay I was getting 2oz. It is possible but it will greatly very person to person!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

My girls are 4 months old. I pump 5x a day and get about 10-12oz each time. On a bad day I get 7-8oz at each pump. I'm on the verge of throwing in the towel though because I "think" one of my girls may have a milk allergy and I just want her to feel better. I'm going to try to eliminate dairy from my diet but we'll see.

I was using my sisters pump that is 7 years old (Medela PIS) but last week went and rented a Medela Symphony from the hospital. It is AMAZING! So quiet and so much gentler than the PIS.

Keep up the good work.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"