Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

Paris, Rome & Athens

So we just pulled the trigger on a trip to Europe to Paris, Rome and Athens for May to celebrate our anniversary. Were only going to have 2-3 full days in each town and I can always count on my TB ladies for good advice so if you've been to any of the above towns please let me know what you did that you thought was awesome! As well as what to stay away from.

We won't be renting a car or leaving the actual city since we won't have much time in each area. We're big into history, architecture, FOOD, and basically just cool stuff. Any advice is much appreciated :) thanks ladies!

Re: Paris, Rome & Athens

• Options
    Paris was amazing. Of course I recommend all the touristy stuff like Eiffel Tower, Louvre, Versailles, Champs Elysees etc. All I can say is if you use the Metro for transportation, keep a mindful eye on your valuables. Nearly every time we loaded into the train, I saw sticky fingers going for my bag. 

Yeah I've heard that. I'll probably just wear my camera around my neck and Chapstick in pocket. Those are my travel essentials lol. H will keep any money in his front pocket. Hopefully we can make it across 3 countries without losing any valuables. My wallet got stolen on our honeymoon in St Lucia, so that was fun.
  • Options
    Sounds awesome! I've only been to Rome and it was five years ago, so I don't know if my advice still applies.

If you're going to see the Forum and Colosseum, go to the Forum first. You can (or could) buy a joint ticket and the line at the Forum is usually much shorter. Then you get to skip the long ticket line at the Colosseum.

If you go to the Vatican, beware of the people offering private tours. They'll get you in for a tour, but often times they're cutting the legitimate lines. It felt wrong to cheat at the Vatican.

Drink all of the wine and eat all of the bread.
    ******************************************** siggy warning ******************************************

image image

Married July 2011 * TTC #1 since 8/12 * Me: 29 DH: 29
    21 Cycles TI: BFNs
    DX: Stage 2 Endo, uterine polyps and paratubal cysts removed
    2/14: IVF #1 Lupron Protocol = 12R/10M/9F, no frosties; transferred one 3BB blast = BFN
    4/14: IVF #2 Antagonist Protocol = 18R/16M/15F/6 frosties; transferred one 4BB blast = BFP!!
    Beta #1 (5/12) = 232 Beta #2 (5/16) = 886 Beta #3 (5/20) = 3168
    EDD 1/18/15 It's a BOY 

~~~~~~ All Are Welcome ~~~~~~

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've never been to Europe at all, but it sounds like you're going to have a blast!

imageimage
  • Options
    Aieee!!!! I'm so excited for you @janda426! I have been to all three and loved them all, I hope you had a fantastic time!  Honestly, do the touristy stuff at each location as pp have mentioned, and just eat eat eat (I feel like I'm constantly focusing on food on this board....) oh, and drink wine, duh :)  

BFP #1: 3/4/2011 ~ EDD 11/14/2011 ~ DD Born 10/26/2011
    BFP #2: 10/12/2013 ~ EDD 6/23/2014 ~ Natural MC 10/28/2013 @ 6wk
    BFP #3: 6/4/2014 ~ EDD 2/13/2015 ~ b-HCG dropped 6/18/2014, Natural MC 6/20/2014 @ 6wk

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Sounds awesome!! I've never been but it's actually been one of the possible trips on our list this year for our 5th anniversary. We're deciding between a cruise, Paris, Italy or Ireland. Did you by chance buy a deal from Groupon? I've been looking there!
  • Options
    With seeing the Eiffle Tower, make sure to see it at night. It lights up every so often and it really is a site to see! We saw it from our hotel room and it really set the mood ;) lol. 
    Stephanie Ella ~ 6/15/2012
  • Options
    @TravelingCouple‌ we actually used a website called europeandestinations dot com. We took a chance using an online booking agent after our fiasco with Orbitz in Cancun this past January but we just couldn't beat the prices. Theres a ton of different european itineraries on there. I'll be sure to let you know our experience with them! We did look at groupon but for what we wanted and when we wanted to go we didn't see anything that fit our needs. I did see two awesome groupons to Spain and Thailand that caught my eye lol but these three countries are our first priorities. London and Ireland are also on our bucket list!
  • Options
    Get good walking shoes! You can get a metro pass in Paris for a good price, but the carnet of 10 purple tickets can be cheaper depending on how long you are there. If you stay out passed 2am there is a drunk-bus service at Chatelet area near the Louvre.

Pain Royal is a euro, but it's awesome.

Use the Louvre metro entrance. The line is shorter. :)

In Rome the buses are extra awesome for getting around & they won't gouge you like the cabbies will. Ask the market people for a good restaurant, not the concierge. The hotels are in bed with certain places that tend to be touristy.

London: The Wax Museum & The Tower are awesome. The food there left much to be desired sadly.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    PrimRoseMamaPrimRoseMama member
    edited March 2014
    Crap-- I saw Athens & thought Rome. I've never been to Athens. I'm jealous!

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• Options
    I don't know why I am talking about London. Holy shit, I'm getting some coffee. :| ~O)

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• Options
    Sounds awesome! I've only been to Rome and it was five years ago, so I don't know if my advice still applies. If you're going to see the Forum and Colosseum, go to the Forum first. You can (or could) buy a joint ticket and the line at the Forum is usually much shorter. Then you get to skip the long ticket line at the Colosseum. If you go to the Vatican, beware of the people offering private tours. They'll get you in for a tour, but often times they're cutting the legitimate lines. It felt wrong to cheat at the Vatican. Drink all of the wine and eat all of the bread.

Coming out of the shadows on this one. I did my semester abroad in Rome and it was amazing. Just wanted to correct one thing here. Tickets are not needed for the Forum. The tickets she's describing are actually for the Palatine Hill, which is basically next to the Forum and Colosseum. Still recommend this advice, though. Get your ticket at the Palatine Hill for both and skip the (longer) line at the Colosseum. Also lived in Paris for a summer and recommend Montmatre. It's one of my favorite places in the city and you get great views from up there. I also didn't see Pere Lachaise listed by anyone yet. It's where Jim Morrison (and many others) are buried and a neat place to visit. Back to the shadows and my apologies for the wall o text. I'm on my iPad.
  • Options
    All great advice!! I wrote down the gelato place @lilmonk and were looking into the walking Italy tours. Athens was really H deal so I'm thinking since well be there 2 full days well do the acropolis thing one day and maybe a day trip Delphi or a one day cruise on the second day. Or we might just be exhausted and sleep in that second day haha. I ordered maps off Amazon and am going to download the Paris Metro app, I heard it's good for getting around.

Also for anyone who's been to Paris @joy2611 @PrimRoseMama‌ @imwunderlich @packerfan4life‌ have any of you gotten the Paris Pass? I'm wondering with only 2 full days if it would be worth the money. It's kind of expensive.
  • Options
    I wouldn't get the pass.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• Options
    MeagCMeagC member
    I have no advice, but it sounds like a blast!! Have fun!
    image       image
  • Options
    We just spent a week in Rome a few months ago and go to Paris every few months (only a 2 hour train ride from our house).  I highly recommend the Rick Steves' books and watch his videos on his website.  I can give you more specifics if you want but looks like most everyone has mentioned the big touristy attractions not to miss.  Look into the Batobus (a water taxi) for Paris.  We prefer this over the Metro (especially with kids) because it stops at all the main sites plus you get to see Paris while cruising along (instead of being under the ground). 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    You're going to have so much funnnn!! Lots of great advice, Paris is to die for amazing. I have to be a little Negative Nancy on Athens. Seriously the biggest disappointment of a city I've ever seen. Crowded, filthy, unhappy people. We went to the Parthenon on a guided tour--waste of money. It's so crowded we couldn't see or hear the guide, she had nothing to say that wasn't readily available on the signs and stuff and frankly, looking at amazing crumbling buildings (which are entirely covered in excavating structures) doesn't need a lot of words. I'm glad we saw it to "see it" but.....blah. Gorgeous views of the city from the top though, seriously. We also took a bus tour, saw some stuff and then left. I would try to orient your trip to do more Paris and Rome, less Athens. Unless you take a day trip to an island!! We did Mykonos (amazing) and Santorini (tourist trap). 
      It's a girl!! EDD 2/28/15
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    KerBear8KerBear8 member
    edited April 2014
    So my favorite things we did in Paris:
    - Eiffel Tower (obviously)
    - Arc de Triomphe
    - It's a little outside of Paris but easily accessible by train but the Palace of Versailles was really amazing
    - The Lourve
    - And of course enjoying the great cafes

My favorite things we did in Rome:
    - Colosseum
    - Roman Forum
    - The Vatican
    - Trevi Fountain
    - Wine, Pizza and Gelato
    Other things we did: The Pantheon, Plaza Navona

@packerfan4life WOW this is legit the same trip my hubs and I had last year.

Eiffell Tower and Louvre are must sees. That said, they're in different parts of Paris. Versailles was great but expect to waste an entire day commuting there and touring the grounds so if you don't want to burn a whole day, keep that in mind. The other place I really liked was the Rue Cler neighborhood. It's close to the Eiffel Tower. I did have a Paris pass and it saved us a ton of money. That said, we were there for four days and had time to go to a few more sites. As @katiewest said, get the Rick Steves Book. He tells you the cost of everything so you can calculate whether it's worthwhile to get the pass or not.

Re: Rome, the Vatican also took us most of a day but it was totally worth it. The Coliseum was great too and right across from the Forum. TBH, I thought the Forum was boring, but I'm not a history buff

Don't forget your walking shoes, as @primrosemama recommends. You will be on your feet A LOT. Make sure they're comfy.

Have a ton of fun :)

DS born 1/8/2015
    BFP 1/5/2016   EDD 9/17/2016

• Options
    @irishcurls yeah TBH I wasn't thrilled to go Athens and would've rather stayed on Mykonos the whole time if we were going to Greece but H reeeeeally wants to see the architecture so I hope it's not a disappointment for him. We are planning on taking a day trip to one of the islands. Mykonos is kind of far for one day though, no? I think Hydras or Aegina are closer for just one day. Whatever. We'll make the most of it and I'm sure some local Greek food will make it all worth it ;) plus our hotel has a view of the acropolis so it'll be nice to relax at the end of a day of touring and sit and enjoy the view.
  • Options
    I also realized my post was pooing on Greece hard, and I'm Greek! Lol but seriously it's just crowded and busy, so be prepared for that, enjoy the history because it really is spectacular and eat all the baklava you can shovel in! My husband STILL talks about the cafe we sat at and how good the baklava was.....you must come back with so many pictures for us!!!
      It's a girl!! EDD 2/28/15
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    So my favorite things we did in Paris:
    - Eiffel Tower (obviously)
    - Arc de Triomphe 
    - It's a little outside of Paris but easily accessible by train but the Palace of Versailles was really amazing
    - The Lourve
    - And of course enjoying the great cafes

My favorite things we did in Rome:
    - Colosseum
    - Roman Forum
    - The Vatican 
    - Trevi Fountain
    - Wine, Pizza and Gelato
    Other things we did: The Pantheon, Plaza Navona"

Great suggestions from @Packerfan4life. I would just add that in Paris and Rome if the weather is good just spend time walking around as much as possible. The streets themselves are beautiful and you can discover hidden gems! Also I recommend always having a coffee, crepe, or gelato in your hand at all times because obviously. Paris= walk through the jardin des tuileries (beautiful gardens in the city. Rome = eat everything. Then eat some more. I lived in Italy for 8 months in college and I gained 15 lbs. It was amazing. 

Athens was cool- less cool of a city than Rome or Paris, but definitely go walk through the ruins and go see the Acropolis. If you had more time I'd say go check out some of the islands, but Athens does have an awesome night life if you guys want to hit the clubs. Just be aware that people don't go out until midnight-1am and come home at about 5-6am. Put your party pants on!
    Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • Options
    How fun! I hope you have a great trip! I live in Rome, have for almost 4 years now. So I'll give my standard travel advice...

Pack light. This is western Europe, not the moon. If you need something you can buy it, but you really don't need everything you thing you'll need. Lay out everything you want to bring on your bed, then put half of it away.

Wear comfy shoes. You will be walking all day. Don't be embarrassed to wear sneakers. Young people wear sneakers, You're just really hip!

Rome has so so so so much to see. Luckily a lot of it is outdoor stuff that you just have to visit, rather than wait in line and pay sites. I recommend Rick Steves-- he's the best! He's probably in your library.

Check out AirBnb and Housetrip for apartment rentals. They are really popular right now. Also in Europe, everyone uses TripAdvisor, rather than Expedia.

Do all the Vatican stuff together, rather than hopping back and forth. The Pope comes out on Wednesdays and Sundays (unless he's away). The Vatican Museum is closed on Sundays. The Vatican Museum is HUGE and always has a long (round the building) line.

If you're strong walkers, walk back from Vatican City and stop at Mondo Arancini for a ball of fried rice and cheese deliciousness. Amazing gelateria, Gelarmony right next door, too.
    Via Marcantonio Colonna number 38 and 34, respectively.

Major Sites:

Colosseum and Roman Forum
    Yes, you can go in the Roman Forum. And the *only* ticket is a joint one with the Colosseum. The line is typically much shorter at the Roman Forum, then you go to the front of the line at the Colosseum. You can also walk around the outside of the Forum and look down into it. You won't see as much, but you'll get the idea of what it is. Similarly, if you are really short on time and money you could enjoy the Coliseum from the outside. The outside is more beautiful than the inside.

The Pantheon. This is the best preserved building of the Ancient Romans. It was converted to a Catholic Church for marters, so it was saved the fate of being used as a marble quarry and falling to decay. It's open and free, you just walk in, no line. Its worth the visit. The close the doors at sunset. 

With your back to the Pantheon, you can look right and see Tazza d'Oro, where you can get an iced espresso.

With you back to the Pantheon, you can walk straight, to the right of the fountain, and straight for 3 minutes / one block-ish. You will get to Della Palma Gelateria. They have very good gelato and so many flavors it is a feast for the eyes too.

The Trevi Fountain is a short walk from the Pantheon and enjoyable day or night.

The Spanish Steps are not far from the Trevi Foutain and also enjoyable day or night. 

Piazza Navona had three beautiful fountains. Worth finding in Rome's twisting streets.

Trastevere is the cool place to be at night and where you will find the best restaurants. (There is very little to eat near the Colosseum.) The church that houses the Mouth of Truth (you can see it through bars any time, before sunset free to have you picture taken with you hand inside it) and Camp di Fiori are both near-ish.

Go to Circo Massimo right before dinner time, then eat at la villetta dal 1940. Located at Viale della Piràmide Cèstia, 53. Go home via the Piramide Metro and pass by Rome's own Pyramid. 

Piazza Venezia / “Altare della Patria” (Altar of the Fatherland) is worth a look and you can go up and in before sunset.

These I would call the "must sees". The other sites, the hills and museums mostly, I would check out Rick Steves description to see what fancies you.

• Options

Not sure if you have your hotels booked or not yet, but I highly, highly recommend Le Royal Hotel in Paris.  The location is spectacular, and the breakfast is so good!! 

I'm a hillbilly bumpkin from Indiana used to long road trips and staying at places like La Quita or Comfort Inn where you just kinda roll out of bed and go to breakfast in your pajamas, grab a Styrofoam plate, and load up on as much free grub as possible to avoid paying for lunch later.  Naturally, I assumed that would fly in Paris.  Holy shit, did I get the stink eye!!!  You gotta dress nice, and you actually have to eat at the table.  Of course, you may be much classier than me and already know that but I thought I'd throw that out there.

General tips: study the hell out of the subway maps and make your own routes.  It may be boring and tedious, but if you're already familiar with how the subway works, where the stops are located by your hotel, and where you want to go, you can get around for really cheap.  I spent a couple weeks going over the subway system for Paris and our itinerary was flawless.  I knew which lines to take, where to transfer, when the trains ran, and what fare we needed to have prepared.  This is especially important if you only have a couple days in each city.  Maximize the hell out of your time by being prepared!

Eat everything.  EVERYTHING.  You gotta have a hot ham sandwich in Paris.  Amazing.  Quiche, croissants (oh, God, the croissants), macaroons, the cheese (OH THE CHEESE!!!)... Even if you're not hungry, pack it up and take it with you for later.  Walk everywhere and you'll build up enough of an appetite to keep up with the culinary delights you'll face in each city.  But you're only there for a short period of time, so savor everything!  And the wine, gotta have the wine :)

Enjoy!!!  So excited for you!!!  I loved my trip to Europe last year.  We're definitely going back to Paris in a few years.

• Options
    My tips for Paris:

When going to the Louvre (because you have to), don't use the main entrance, it had ridiculously long lines. There are a number of alternate entrances you can look up--my H and I used an underground entrance that is across the way from the main entrance. It'll save you a lot of waiting time.

My favorite museum in Paris was the Musee D'Orsay. It was less chaotic than the Louvre, and it  fully temperature controlled museum (certain parts of the Louvre can get quite stuffy). It is also a converted train station, so the architecture is gorgeous.

If you are a book lover, make sure to check out Shakespeare and Co. bookstore. It is a wonderfully quirky store with a lot of history. Make sure to have a drink in L'Hotel as well. It is the hotel in which Oscar Wilde died, and is beautiful old hotel.

Pere Lachaise cemetery is another must see. Whether or not you are a Doors fan, check out the crowd around Jim Morrison's grave. People hop over the gate around his headstone to  pose with it and leave unopened liquor bottles--it is such an interesting scene.

Walk around Montmarte (a neighborhood in Paris). Many famous artists lived and painted around there, including Van Gogh. 

Finally, make sure to drink a lot of wine and eat a lot of crepes. Both are everywhere in Paris, so it is not hard to do so.

TTGP June Siggy Challenge: Favorite Movie Quote-- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Pt.2
  • Options
    I've never been to Athens, and though I've been to Rome twice, it was a substantially long time ago, but I can definitely say the zoo is a fun place to visit and Vatican is worth seeing though it's a trek. 

There's also a flea market there, well, or at least 'was', where a lot of discarded designer clothes end up because they are slightly defective. The people selling them are usually the ones that get them for cheap or maybe even almost free from the factories, I'd guess they/have relatives who work there, some of the clothes are not manufactured locally so I don't exactly under how they make their way there, but it is what it is. The clothes are seemingly genuine and of good quality. And just a tip - since you won't have a car, taxi fare is somewhat a waste of cash and you can pretty much figure out public transport very easily, but the main bus 'termini' is FULL of pickpockets, so do watch your stuff, and try not to have a handbag hanging too loosely, I've had a guy flat out try to grab my clutch and run off. That's really the only dodgy place, and you'd likely spend very little time there except to catch a bus to say, Vatican or something.

As for Paris - I have so many suggestions, but you'd think I'm a soapbox O.O They're mostly food related, I also still have an itinerary that DH put together for that trip somewhere in an old inbox, I can dig it up for you, it's the order in which we did all the museums and such. He really knows his way around there as he used to live there, so the little time we had there (about 6 days?) he -definitely- planned out perfectly. 

TTC #2

Cycle 1:   (January/February)                            Cycle 2:  (February/March)

O - CD17                                                     O - CD15
    IB @ 11dpo                                                            11dpo-13dpo spotting
    BFP @ 12dpo (late pm)                         AF CD28 (late 13dpo)                     
    13dpo = positive fading all day
    14dpo beta = 7.2
    AF CD32 - Confirmed Chemical Pregnancy

CYCLE 3 (March/April) 
    O - CD19 
    8DPO - Faint BFP on Wondfo
    9DPO - Neg. on FRER
    11 DPO - BFP FRER
    14 DPO - Beta 123
    17 DPO - 784, yay! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Have a great trip!! Not much to add that hasn't been said since lots of great tips here.

Rome: We stayed a block from the Spanish Steps and loved hanging out there and seeing the sunset. If it is not crowded, it can be totes relaxing. Also, for sure walk around Rome and hit up the small markets. I am now obsessed with fried squash blossoms, yum! And yes, eat everything and have wine with every meal.

Paris: Definitely hit up the Eiffel Tower at night as well, so pretty! Of course, go to the top and have some bubbly (overpriced yes but hello, on top of the Eiffel Tower!). And we missed doing this but go to Champ de Mars, that was my one big miss in Paris I wish we would have done.

Second for Rick Steve's everything, we DL the walk tours and studied his website before we went - so helpful!.  

Married since 09/21/2008, TTC now!
      TTGP May Siggy Fave Meme                                

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"