December 2013 Moms

Those who weaned to formula...

Leila is not gaining weight. From 2-4 months she only gained 14oz. I want to wean to formula because I don't want to deal with supplementing so my question is how did you do it. I don't want to quit cold breastfeeding turkey bc I'll be in pain....

Re: Those who weaned to formula...

• How old is she and how much does she weigh? Have you talked to your pediatrician? Weight gain slows down quite a bit at this age compared to newborn stage. 
    **Warning: Losses and living child mentioned**
    BFP#1 1/31/12, EDD 10/6/12 Harrison Gray born sleeping @ 18w6d. You changed our lives little guy.
    BFP#2 EDD 10/29/13, C/P 2/25/13, Bye little Ish, we barely got to know you.
    BFP#3 EDD 12/21/13, Baby Boots born 11/23/13 My rainbow baby!

imageView Full Size Imageimageimage
    January PAL Siggy Challenge: Good Advice

• Start gradual make 2 oz formula per directions and add it to bottles throughout the day to give the belly time to adjust slowly, next day make 4 ozs and split amongst all bottles then 6 then 8 after a couple days you should be able to have an idea how they are tolerating the formula and just keep slowly adding more formula and less bm until you are fully weaned
  • Loading the player...
  • lijahlijah member
    edited April 2014
    She's 4 months-she was born 6,7 and today she weighed 10,14. She was 10 lbs at 2 months so she only gained 14 oz since then. He said I need to supplement twice a day but for me id rather just wean bc I've even thinking about stopping anyway..
  • Mmmm cold breastfeeding turkey ;)
  • I never weaned I just fed it to her
     BabyFetus Ticker
    Baby GIRL due 12/26
  • lijah said:
    She's 4 months-she was born 6,7 and today she weighed 10,14. She was 10 lbs at 2 months so she only gained 14 oz since then. He said I need to supplement twice a day but for me id rather just wean bc I've even thinking about stopping anyway..
    Have you thought about seeing an LC before you wean to see what's going on? Could be a situation that is correctable via meds (if a supply issue) or latch correction or whatever.  It's up to you though, if you're ready to be done that's totally ok just know it's a decision that is difficult or impossible to reverse so you want to make sure you're totally ok with it. Agree with PPs, you want to wean slowly otherwise you risk painful engorgement, mastitis and all kinds of nasty things. If you don't think you want to nurse anymore, you could pump a few times a day and just keep decreasing the pumping/nursing sessions gradually. Sudafed helps too. 
    **Warning: Losses and living child mentioned**
    BFP#1 1/31/12, EDD 10/6/12 Harrison Gray born sleeping @ 18w6d. You changed our lives little guy.
    BFP#2 EDD 10/29/13, C/P 2/25/13, Bye little Ish, we barely got to know you.
    BFP#3 EDD 12/21/13, Baby Boots born 11/23/13 My rainbow baby!

imageView Full Size Imageimageimage
    January PAL Siggy Challenge: Good Advice

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"