New York Babies

suggestions for queens neighborhoods?

DH and i live in the bronx but are thinking about relocating to queens in the spring as it will be closer to his work and significantly cut down his commuting time/cost.

we are looking at LIC, astora, richmond hill, forest hills, flushing ...

any suggestions?

Re: suggestions for queens neighborhoods?

• forest hills is really nice, so is astoria....they have that "city like" atmosphere.....some parts of flushing are nice too...north flushing. i grew up in whitestone thats really nice and good schools. lic is getting to be very up and coming, a lot of renovated lofts and stuff.
    NestBaby Trying to Conceive Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • kbird - thanks for the info :) i have a friend who grew up in forest hills and then they lived in jamaica for a while. we'll look at north flushing. i hadn't thought of whitestone!

lic has some great looking stuff on craigslist but some of it is already about our price range. right now we want a safe neighborhood with an "okay" apartment. don't think we can afford the "wow" apartments in LIC and don't think the rest is safe enough yet :( but DH works there so it would be an awesome commute!

• Loading the player...
  • I live in Kew Gardens via Astoria which is right next to Forest Hills and LOVE it here. My husband and I bought a small house here a little over 6 years ago. The neighborhood is wonderful...has that smaller neighborhood feel with all the lovely city conveniences (subway and LIRR) and is close to all with a lower price tag (for renters and buyers) than FH and Astoria. Best of luck on your search. Deffinitely look into Kew Gardens though!
  • if u r going to be renting, i suggest bayside or whitestone. there is a wide price range and even if u get something that needs a little tlc...its worth it for the neighborhood!  good luck!
    NestBaby Trying to Conceive Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • thanks ed's girl and kbird! it's great to have advice on good neighborhoods to look in - will definitely help the search!!
  • Definitely consider Forest Hills and Kew Gardens! We lived in Forest Hills a few years ago. It wasn't the right neighborhood for us at the time, but would be perfect with kids :) It's really pretty and quiet, with great access to shopping and restaurants.
    "For a long time there were only your footprints & laughter in our dreams & even from such small things, we knew we could not wait to love you forever." Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Maspeth is a great neighborhood too. ?Me and DH have lived there for 4 years. ?Love it!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Forest Hills is awesome, Fresh Meadows, Flushing (between the LIE and Union Turnpike), Glendale, Ridgewood, Middle Village, some parts of Astoria, anything towards the Nassua border, Richmond Hill, Kew Gardens, Ozone Park has nice areas, Woodhaven area, near St. Johns Univ is nice, Utopia, Bayside is very suburban, etc....

I personally would rather not live in Woodside (been there, done that), Maspeth, Jamaica, LIC, Howard Beach, Corona, Jackson Heights, Elmhurst or Sunnyside as they are very overcrowded/busy.

• Husband and I have lived in Astoria for nine years. We love it.

We live on the west side of the subway so it's quieter then the east side. Also less expensive since there are less restaurants/bars and we are about 12 blocks from the N/W. But anything from Broadway to Ditmars is good.

And now with all the new construction it's starting to creep to 36th ave. If you want to buy, it is cheaper the LIC and there is a lot going on - many new hip places to hang out with or without kids, great park by the river, easy access to the city [short subway ride and affordable cab ride home on weekends!] I feel very safe here and know many of the people on my block.?

We also like that it's close to LGA and JFK.

Good luck in your search for the best neighborhood for you.?

?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"