Stay at Home Moms

how do you get cleaning done??

I have a 2 y/io attached to my legs, and a 4mon old attached to my boob!! today is not a great day I am trying to get the house cleaned for the holiday and they arent agreeing with me... suggestions???

Re: how do you get cleaning done??

• I'm supposed to clean??? Oh crap!

- Jena
  • Do you have an infant carrier? I will usually wear DS and then give DD "jobs" so she thinks she is helping me.
    Ridley Run 3.1 - 4/9/11 - 34:24 - 1st race evah!
    Kelly Monaghan's 5K - 5/15/11 - 3rd Place in AG
    Walk the Talk 5K - 5/18/11 - 31:12 PR
    Ridley Run 3.1 - 4/14/12 - 1st race of the year, 32:45
  • Loading the player...
  • Children's Benadryl  Yes

Kidding!!  

• Well, I only have one child to deal with while cleaning, so that makes it easier for me, but I usually give DS (almost 2) a job as well.  He will "clean" the floor, he plays with the fridge letter magnets, colors at the table, does puzzles, etc.  Anything that will keep him in one area so that I can see him and know that he's not making a bigger mess somewhere else and I can still get something done.  For the bigger cleanings like the bathrooms, I wait until he is napping so that I can really get in and scrub without worrying about him. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Well, I only have one 10 month old attached to either my boob OR leg (hehe), but he really enjoys the vacuum.  I have a canister vac and he holds onto it and walks behind it while I am vacuuming!  It's rather funny.  I caught him "dusting" with a wipe the other day, too.  I am a cleanaholic, so I clean every day and try to make it some kind of fun game.  I put on some music and sometimes we dance around while cleaning.  I do things like the bathroom during naps or when my husband is home.  I clean the kitchen by giving him some snacks and pots and pans.  I mop during naps, too.
  • I only have the baby and I cannot imagine having two! Props to you for sure.

I usually get cleaning done during her morning nap in the swing with the vacuum cd playing. Then the rest of the day she will usually last about 30 min in her bouncy seat while I run around. Sometimes I just tell DH what chores I want done when he gets home. He is good about that (well, after I ask 15 times).

• Movie time!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My daughter is 20 months and now I give her a paper towel and she follows me around wiping things. It's too cute. But it's still hard to get anything done. I usually do it during nap time, pop in Dora, or wait until the weekend when my husband is here and can watch her. I got her a little vacuum for Xmas because she loves to watch me vacuum, so she'll probably have fun with that. I used to clean all the time, now I've learned to clean what needs it most and let the rest go. I'd rather be spending my time with her.
  • That's what I'm trying to figure out.  We now have a cleaning lady but will probably quit that because we are desperate to cut costs now that I SAH but it's so hard to let that go after having it!  Plua, I'm alone a lot of nights so it's hard to get stuff done then.  Maybe come up with a goal or two a day and accomplish it...usually if I make a list...I have to follow it.
  • On good days, I can get it done while DD entertains herself. On medium days, I do it when she sleeps. On bad days, it gets postponed!

DD is quite clingy lately, so we're having a lot of medium and bad days!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I spread the cleaning out through the week so I don't have too much to do.  I try to do everything except vacuum while DS is napping (he still takes 2 naps).  Usually DD will entertain herself, but sometimes I give her the duster and some paper towels and call her my helper.  On really bad days I pop a movie in for her.  If I need to vacuum, I wait until DH gets home and he will take them both to the playroom while I vacuum the house (or the other way around).

On days when I manage to get their naps to overlap - I swear off cleaning and prop up my feet!  Big Smile

DD1 - 12.25.05
    (m/c 1.17.07, m/c 5.15.07)
    DS - 03.15.08
    DD2 - 12.03.09
    DD3 - 3.28.11
  • I have a cleaning crew come in bi-weekly. In the interim, I clean as I go, best I can. Always at night.

Not sure what will happen with #3 now that he's here, but DH will be helping out a lot in the beginning.?

image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • YOurs are still really little, it gets easier as they get older.  I could only clean when my DH was on duty when my kids were smaller.  Now they like to "help."  I bought them some toy cleaning "products" for the holidays that they loved.  I also try to take advantage of breakfast and lunchtime to clean up a bit b/c they're both seated and out of trouble. 
  • I just try to clean as I go.  It's just me, DH, and Alyssa, plus two cats, so it's not really messy but as far as dusting and vaccuming go, I try to do those things when Alyssa is sleeping or when she's in her exersaucer or something but lately, she doesn't like the sound of the vaccum cleaner so DH has been doing it for me when we're not home (he owns and operates, and works from home) or when I'm busy doing something w/ her.  I have to admit, though, I never feel like my house is clean ... tidy, sure, but clean, ehhhh, I think it could  be cleaner, and honestly, even tidier!

• Exersaucer & get done what I can.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"