May 2012 Moms

Tattooed moms

This made me laugh. I was talking to my sister on Skype the other night and we got on the topic of DH and I wanting to make some time to go get some tattoo work done together because we've never gone together before even though we both have quite a few tattoos. My mom was in the background and overheard and came over rolling her eyes and just exasperated at the thought of me getting another tattoo (the usual response I get every time lol). Then my sister sent me this this morning and it made me chuckle.

https://theuglyvolvo.com/2014/04/01/why-you-should-never-ever-ever-get-a-tattoo-but-having-a-baby-is-fine/

Who here is tattooed and/or pierced? I have 5 tattoos and plans to complete my left leg from the knee down, a half sleeve on the right, elaborate the tattoo for my sister on my back to update it since it was my first, a tribute to my losses, and a small piece on my ribs. I'm not very pierced, just 2 in each ear. It's intrigued me but not as much as tattoos so my money goes to that instead.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: Tattooed moms

• littleredfishlittleredfish member
    edited April 2014

I really like that, I think I like it better that yours has the anatomically correct heart. I love symbolic tattoos.

• I have a pink rose for DD since she ended up being a June baby and was our surprise girl. It has her name next to it.
    • I have my cats paw prints on my wrist. I got her when I first moved away from home and went to school to be a vet tech, so its a symbol of those 2 things.
    • A modified celtic sister knot on my back where the loops are hearts and the center is 2 girls with their hands together.
    • 3 pansies up my leg in purple (mom), yellow (grandma) and blue (great-grandma) because pansies are all 3 of their favorite flower and they are done in eachs favorite color
    • Last is "She has no idea. The effect she can have." in script font below my collar bone. It's a book quote that I find reflective of myself.

All of my future plans are symbolic as well.

• MrsH11710MrsH11710 member
    edited April 2014

I have 3 tattoos. My first tattoo was is a scorpion on my back since I'm a scorpio. My second is the zodiac sign for gemini below the nape of my neck (above the scorpion) to symbolize DS. The third is a very simple panda bear on my hip. Panda bears have always been my favorite animal so I thought it was appropriate. Looking back, I'm not entirely sure that getting the panda bear was the best choice. I don't dislike it I just think I didn't need it.

I want a tattoo to symbolize DD but I'm such a baby now. The thought of the pain terrifies me! 

ETA: no piercings other than the two in my ears.

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary

• Loading the player...
  • Love that piece!!!
    I have a Johnny jump up on my foot, my fav flower and why I went to school for horticulture. I had my belly pierced but well not since my two little ones is it worth looking at so it's out and my ear in the little piece tragus maybe?

I want one more tattoo I'm thinking the Jesus fish with three hearts on the inside done in white on my wrist or black on my back
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Untitled
  • Hmm... let's see...

I just finished up a big ol' galaxy (Antenna Galaxy) on my right shoulder blade.  A lil bigger than i had intended but i love it.  i kinda want to add more to it at some point but not sure how...

I also have two plumeria flowers with a honu (sea turtle) in between.  the honu has a hurricane symbol in the middle.  this one is for my 8 week stay in hawaii one summer and my obsession/bachelor degree is in Meteorology.

then on the small of my back i have a small moon/stars/sun with a gemini sign in the middle (me).

had my belly button pierced in college but took it out like 2 weeks later as i didn't like it.
    i also have my tragus (inner ear thing) pierced (twice, first one fell out!  once on hollywood blvd and once in hawaii)

i still want more tats.  DH is getting one this weekend (same artist as who did my galaxy).  i want to do a realistic moon in the same phase as it was on DD's bday (juuust about full) with her name in it but I'm not totally sure where or how (as i want it detailed yet not the size of a basketball lol).  

good post i love reading about our creativity and originality!
  • I only have one, a small butterfly profile on my hip that I had done after my grandmother died.  I had planned on getting more (and got pregnant. ;) )  While I was pregnant DH had tons of work done and I was SO JEALOUS. I've been working on designing a larger piece, I just need to pull the trigger.
    LOVE THE PHOTOS! @dayzchic9 that galaxy is bad*ss.
    @littleredfish I love the descriptions of the tattoos you have so far, and I love symbolic body art. Post photos :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have two tattoos. One is a small design on my back between my shoulder blades.I got that one when I was 29. I also have a half sleeve of flowers on my right arm that I got in 2006 representing my growth over three really difficult years. I will try and find a couple of pics to post. I want to get "Sophia Mary" on my left upper arm in either a flowing feminine script or a 50's retro font soon (unless I get knocked up before I scrape up the funds). I also have my tragus pierced and have 8 holes in my left ear and two on my right. I used to have a nipple and my belly button pierced but I let them close years ago.

• You can kind of see the back tattoo

• bellelambbellelamb member
    edited April 2014
    Melissa Wow for some reason I didn't picture you as having such a big piece, I LOVE it and your wedding pic is so beautiful!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Untitled
    Not sure if you can see them well. They are all either shiny or scabby in the pics because they were each taken the day I got them.
    Top left: tribut celtic knot for my sister (first one, plans to update)
    Top right: 3 flowers in tribute to my great-grandma, grandma, mom (plans to encorporate them into a full lower leg piece as a family tribute with more ideas to involve the men in my life)
    Middle Left: my cats paw prints 
    Middle middle: on my collar bone "She has no idea. The effect she can have."
    Bottom Row: Pink rose for DD with her name (sits under my 3 flowers)

That's it so far, but SO many ideas swimming in my head all the time.

• @bellelamb Thanks. We planned that wedding in three weeks (including getting the wedding dress altered thanks to a "miracle worker" seamstress that was able to take two off the rack size 12 dresses and make it fit my size 16 body! That woman deserves a metal or a plaque or something.)

It's funny a lot of people will first only see the very bottom of the tattoo out of a shirt sleeve and they think it's just a small flower. It usually shocks them when I roll up my sleeve. It's fun to see peoples' reactions to it. (an unintended bonus to having a piece that big.)

• @littleredfish The flower pieces are beautiful. Do you have a bigger pic of your collar bone piece? It's too small to really see in the collage pic.

• I have a Chinese symbol tattoo I got at 18 that says autumn (stupid) and a hummingbird and lily on my back in memory of my grandmother (in pic). I've also had my tongue pierced twice, my belly button done once. I want a tattoo to symbolize DD but hubby doesn't want me to get any more and we can't afford it anyway. I'm still figuring out what I want in case an opportunity arises.
  • Hubby changed his mind! He agreed I can get my tattoo but we still can't afford it so I asked my mom to get it for me as a Christmas gift. Any suggestions? I want something to mirror my hummingbird and lily but to represent DD. I'm think a rose (birth month flower) and a butterfly but am open to suggestions :) To me the butterfly would, represent the change in me that becoming a mother has created. Having her has made me a better person and I feel the butterfly reflects that but I don't want to be completely cliche. Does anyone have any creative ideas?
  • @najzomax That's how I pay for my tats. My parents/grandparents never buy me "stuff" for occasions I always get money to spend on me. Their anticipation used to be clothes or whatever, but now they understand that its basically tattoo money. lol

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"