North Carolina Babies

New to Durham/Chapel Hill/Raleigh & First-Time Pregnancy!

My husband just got a new job in Chapel Hill, North Carolina for a finance firm. Just 3 weeks ago, we drove across the country from San Diego, California to Durham, North Carolina with everything we could possibly fit in our SUV. On top of being new to the area, I am also 20 weeks pregnant with our first baby (girl)! 

I am 28 years old, with a due date of May 23, 2014 and looking for some new pregnant friends and support :) Are there any ladies new to the area as well? Or anyone pregnant with their first baby too? I would love to hear from anyone in a similar situation, or simply get any recommendations on finding a good pregnancy group/network in the RTP area of North Carolina. Feels like starting life all over again. Thank you so much!

Re: New to Durham/Chapel Hill/Raleigh & First-Time Pregnancy!

• Welcome! That is a huge move. I'm originally from New Orleans and I've been here for a few years. I'm a FTM (girl) and due April 16th, 2014.
  • Welcome to Durham! I moved from San Diego to Chapel Hill in 2001 and never left. Now I live and work in Durham. I'm also a FTM, due on May 27th, with a little girl. I don't know about any groups or anything like that, but I would also be interested.

Moving here was definitely an adjustment. I remember the first night here I cried because the trees seemed so tall and spindly. But now, when I fly home from the west coast, I see all the green as the plane descends and I'm always happy to be living in NC.
  • Loading the player...
  • Welcome!  I'm also in Durham and mom to 2 boys.  A really good local group to join is trianglemommies.com/forum.  We do playdates, Moms Night Outs, and lots of local info/support.

Congrats on your pregnancy!

DS1: Quinn - 10.22.10 and DS2: Cole - 01.18.13

• Hi and welcome!  I lived in San Diego for 5 years and loved it.  NC is gorgeous and the weather is so much milder than other east coast cities.  I moved out to Cary in my third trimester and had to find a new OB and hospital at 34 weeks.  I'm happy to make any recommendations, but my experience is in Cary, not Durham.  There was a meet up last Saturday with some Raleigh ladies, several of them are in their 20th's week.  We are planning a new meet up and I can let you know when/where.  The more the merrier!
    imageimage
    Mama of boys, Landon (Jan 14) and Harrison (Aug 15).  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Hello! I have a 9 month old but wanted to mention that I used Duke Women's Health and they were fantastic. I usually went to the office in Brier cCreek since that's closer to me,but their largest office is in Durham. I had the same due date as you, just a year earlier. Good thing I used A Duke affiliate practice because both me and my little one would have been sent there due to my complications. Good luck and welcome to NC!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker     

• Hi there! Welcome to town! You are in a great area as Chapel hill has one of the best midwife birthing centers in the country, as well as a wealth of creative and experienced OBs at UNC. They are actually certified as part of the mother/baby initiative. Also, the area has great pregnancy resources like doulas, childbirth classes, prenatal yoga, massage, and chiropractic.
  • Thank you everyone for the warm welcome and be helpful tips. I really appreciate it! Being that I'm so new to the area and pregnant, with a husband working full time, I'd be interested to meet any other pregnant women for some interaction and social support :) if anyo" of you ladies have a FTM-to-be group you attend, or would simply be interested in meeting up for coffee please let me know :) I can easily be reached at ntscherf at gmail dot com. Thanks!!
  • I moved here to Durham few years ago from the Bay Area and originally from New Orleans. I'm a FTM and hardly know anyone here....which is why I can't get hired @ of the hospitals here because you have to know someone who can get you in :( . Anyway, i'm due in Sept and am interested in getting to know other FTMs and networking events.
  • ntullier said:

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome and be helpful tips. I really appreciate it! Being that I'm so new to the area and pregnant, with a husband working full time, I'd be interested to meet any other pregnant women for some interaction and social support :) if anyo" of you ladies have a FTM-to-be group you attend, or would simply be interested in meeting up for coffee please let me know :) I can easily be reached at ntscherf at gmail dot com. Thanks!!

Hi ntullier,

I'm a 32 yo FTM 28 weeks pregnant living in Chapel Hill. My husband lives in FL, so it's all me. I'd be interested in meeting up sometime to discuss babies, etc
  • Im not pregnant any more. but I do have an 11mo old little boy and we just moved here a few months ago and also drove cross country from the west coast and we are in CH
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"